1st Cav felt patch color variations

Tom Pearcy

I can not find any reference ANYWHERE that explains the different color variations in the early wool/felt 1st Cavalry patches, i.e. red horse head, blue stripe; blue horse head, blue stripe; etc. Can anyone help?

I can not find any reference ANYWHERE that explains the different color variations in the early wool/felt 1st Cavalry patches, i.e. red horse head, blue stripe; blue horse head, blue stripe; etc. Can anyone help?

Hi Tom,

Believe there has been several articles in ASMIC on these and also believe they are depicted in Steins book. Basic colors follow branch colors;blue for infantry,red for artillery,etc. Believe there is approx 20 variations. hope this is of some help. Mort

I found the following info in two places. an OLD version of CHRIS Alecks Authorized Shoulder Sleave Insignia of the U.S. Army and In Kurt A Keller's Emblems of Honor patches and insignia of the US Army from the Great War to the Early Cold War ARMOR CAVALRY Tank Destroyer CONSTABULARY

I am sure there are other publications out there. But it was difficult to find on the net. I did not spend much time trying since I have the info in print.

1st CAV Commander and Staff - black horse head and bend with yellow stars on a yellow shield

Headquarters Troops - Black Horse head and blue bend on a yellow shield

Division Artillery - black horse head and scarlet bend on a yellow shield

Air Service - black horse head and ultramarine blue bend with two golden orange stripes on a yellow shield

Engineers - black horse head and scarlet bend with two white stripes on a yellow shield

Medical Troops - black horse head and maron bend with two white stripes on a yellow shield

Ordnance - black horse head and crimson bend with two yellow stripes on a yellow shield

Signal Corps -black horse head and orange bend with two white stripes on a yellow shield

Quartermaster Corps and Trains - black horse head and buff bend with two blue stripes on a yellow shield

First Brigade Command and Staff - scarlet horse head and bend with yellow star on a yellow shield

Machine gun squadron - scarlet horse head and yellow bend with two scarlet stripes on a yellow shield

Medical troops - scarlet horse head and maron bend with two white stripes on a yellow shield

First Brigade, First Regiment - scarlet horse head blue bend on a yellow shield

First Brigade, Second Regiment -scarlet horse head blue bend with a yellow stripe on a yellow shield

Second Brigade Command and Staff - blue horse head and bend with yellow star on a yellow shield

Machine gun squadron - blue horse head and yellow bend with two scarlet stripes on a yellow shield

Medical troops - blue horse head and maron bend with two white stripes on a yellow shield

Second Brigade, First Regiment - blue horse head blue bend on a yellow shield

Second Brigade, Second Regiment - blue horse head blue bend with a yellow stripe on a yellow shield

the source document for this info is Office of the Quartermaster General drawing CE-5-2-10 JAN 20, 1923

there are other color combinations out there that seem to date from the period but I cant ID them