1944 dated U.S. Bear Paw Snoe Shoes

Garandy

These look completely original with the original bindings (also marked US). There were 3 styles of snow shoes: the smallest being the Emergency Snowshoes (10.5X20") without bindings (they were either strapped to your boots with thick rawhide laces or there were flat rawhide pads as well. The second were the Bearpaw like you have with attached bindings (13X28") and the third were the Trail Snowshoes (10X58") which I don't believe came with attached bindings but I have seen a number of different binding used (probably post-war modifications). The size is usually stamped into the wood around the bottom or top edge of the shoes. For further reference, please see p.155 of Henri-Paul Enjames' "GI Collector's Guide". I find a lot of ski and mountain stuff up here in ME so I've been collecting it for years. Nice find, I only have New England makers.

Thankyou carrabessett..Ive had all 3 types, plus skis in my collection before, I sold them all, now I wanted one good sample, plus it was from my wife for our 25th anniversary! I think all my others were Lund..