Tell me about my EGAs

Well, I've actually had the two I'm most curious about since I was around 12 years old. I dug them out of a hoarder's house at a local "estate" sale. It was more like a "dig through an abandoned house full of junk" sale. One of my favorite yard sales even to this day.

Anyway, I took a picture of my collection while I was at it. All except the top left two are from my grandfather (or at the very least out of his estate). The semi-matching pair on the center right came off of his uniform for photographs.

So, what do you gents think?

post-22-0-32470800-1400031927.jpg

post-22-0-20697600-1400031930.jpg

post-22-0-64320300-1400031960.jpg

post-22-0-42673900-1400031962.jpg

-Todd

Currently looking for WWI items, specifically photos of the 116th infantry regiment, and any material related to the USS Olympia.

Always on the lookout for any rations, miscellaneous personal items, pack filler, care package stuffers, knit Red Cross material, and oddball equipment to supplement the Doughboy display.
Have some extras? I help friends fill out their living history kit, and could always use more loaner gear!

All are enlisted.The two large ones are for the visor cap.THe one with the latitude and longitude lines is a WW1 era and a very nice example.The other looks like a WW2 plastic one(could be the glare from the flash)

The smaller ones are for collars and overseas cap(forward facing anchors).The gold ones are for the dress blues

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

You have a nice assortment of emblems (EGA's) here...

1) is a pre WW1 Barracks Cover (service greens), Overseas Cover, and WW1 Helmet emblem. The roller and washer you show in pic 3 is period correct, and often incorrect and or missing. This pattern is thought to have started in the early teens.

2) is the first collar emblem ever authorized for Enlisted Marine's service greens (1920). It to has the period correct roller.

3) is the wartime (WW2) issued Bakelite ~ Tenite Enlisted Barracks cover emblem. These did come w/ their own unique plastic roller. More often than not these are found broken or cracked... they did not last long, were dropped from issue after it was determined they simply could not hold up to typical wear & tear.

4) is the wartime (WW2) production lead collar emblem for the Enlisted Dress Blues. These were made in a few variations, no one is certain who / when made them. Brass ~ Bronze were in short supply, hence the use of lead. Typically they had a lead or zinc roller, others have a thin brass flower roller.

5) these are all WW2 era enlisted collar (or overseas cover) emblems. This pattern was issued starting in 1937 and the design was replaced with the current design in 1955. These were also made in clutchback in the early fifties. Pre War (and post war) issued would have a brass roller and war time issue would have a zinc roller.

P9110127.jpg

The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps. (General A. A. Vandegrift, USMC, 5 May 1946)

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I was always wondering about the first one. It had been sitting on my shelf for almost a decade and I never gave it a second thought about it being WWI era. I always assumed it was fairly modern. Same with the Bakelite one. I always figured it was modern.

You guys are awesome!

-Todd

Currently looking for WWI items, specifically photos of the 116th infantry regiment, and any material related to the USS Olympia.

Always on the lookout for any rations, miscellaneous personal items, pack filler, care package stuffers, knit Red Cross material, and oddball equipment to supplement the Doughboy display.
Have some extras? I help friends fill out their living history kit, and could always use more loaner gear!