WWII Officers Dogtags

8thAAF

My dad got a new set of dogtags for me from ebay and they turned out to be officers tags. I dont know very much about researching officers stuff yet so I thought I would ask for some help. Also if anyone could give me some tips on research it would be very helpful. Here is what is on the tags....

John J. Solt A

0-344697 T42-43

Dorcas E Solt

Arlington, O. P

Any info on this vet would be very helpful...Thank you!

Name: John J Solt

Birth Date: 20 Nov 1913

Death Date: 16 Oct 1984

Age at Death: 70

Death Place: Mccomb, Ohio

Spouse: Dorcus Beach

Marriage Date: 10 Nov 1938

Parents: Charles&bertha(launder)

Newspaper: Fostoria Review Times, Fostoria, Ohio

Newspaper Date: 17 Oct 1984

Newspaper Page: p. 2, col. 5

Years Indexed: Aug. 1943- current

Newspaper Repository: Kaubisch Memorial Library - Fostoria, Oh; Kaubisch Memorial Library - Fostoria, Oh

Other Sources: Mccomb Obituary Card File, Mccomb Public Library

Source Description: Clippings Of Obits On Cards

Shown coming back to the US from the ETO in November 1945 on the Queen Mary - Captain Veterinary Corps

Name: John J Solt

Birth Date: 20 Nov 1913

Death Date: 16 Oct 1984

Age at Death: 70

Death Place: Mccomb, Ohio

Spouse: Dorcus Beach

Marriage Date: 10 Nov 1938

Parents: Charles&bertha(launder)

Newspaper: Fostoria Review Times, Fostoria, Ohio

Newspaper Date: 17 Oct 1984

Newspaper Page: p. 2, col. 5

Years Indexed: Aug. 1943- current

Newspaper Repository: Kaubisch Memorial Library - Fostoria, Oh; Kaubisch Memorial Library - Fostoria, Oh

Other Sources: Mccomb Obituary Card File, Mccomb Public Library

Source Description: Clippings Of Obits On Cards

Shown coming back to the US from the ETO in November 1945 on the Queen Mary - Captain Veterinary Corps

Thank you very much this is a big help!! Veterinary Corps Captain?? Does that mean he took care of animals?

Thank you very much this is a big help!! Veterinary Corps Captain?? Does that mean he took care of animals?

That's what it means - He could have been in Italy during the Italian Campaign - the Army moved a lot of supplies in the mountains using Mules.

Bill

That's what it means - He could have been in Italy during the Italian Campaign - the Army moved a lot of supplies in the mountains using Mules.

Bill

Thank you for taking the time to help him out with this Bill! It is nice to know that there are people that want to help the young collector learn the trade. :thumbsup:

Devin

Bill

Although Army Veterinarians COULD be those types that doctored animals, Army Vet Corps duties encompass a lot more than just that. The VC is mainly concerned with field sanitation and the purity of food service operations and the purity of the food that is prepared in the field kitchens. They also do fun stuff like make sure that the latrines are in the right spot and far enough away from sleeping areas etc. to avoid spreading disease.

Obviously, it is a very important, but thankless job.

Allan

Although Army Veterinarians COULD be those types that doctored animals, Army Vet Corps duties encompass a lot more than just that. The VC is mainly concerned with field sanitation and the purity of food service operations and the purity of the food that is prepared in the field kitchens. They also do fun stuff like make sure that the latrines are in the right spot and far enough away from sleeping areas etc. to avoid spreading disease.

Obviously, it is a very important, but thankless job.

Allan

Thaks for the input Allen...I would think being a "Captian" in the VC would be a good thing then! ;)