AAA0 helmet

Justin

This guy produces or buys fakes! I would stay away...I say, I say!:)

Mike

Are you 100% sure? i was looking threw hes stuff hes been selling alot of german helmets for BIG money? and hes sold very nice Us m1s

Are you 100% sure? i was looking threw hes stuff hes been selling alot of german helmets for BIG money? and hes sold very nice Us m1s

Be very suspicious of anyone selling lots of "nice" German and US helmets, especially German camo and US painted. Most collectors will go their whole lives without ever having a real one of either of those and if they do have a real one, it would sell for a lot more than this guys gets for his fakes.

This guy says he lost some paperwork that might document this helmet: well, that's BS because he knows that if had such paper it would probable triple (or more) the final selling price and he'd bust his butt looking for that. And that stuff about not wanting to remove the liner - more BS.

Furthermore, there's something odd about the name that seems to be written in a few places on the straps: "Bauderman FH" and Franklin Bauderman. That's not the way the Army marked their gear in WWII. The Marines used the "Bauderman FH" but I don't think put it on the straps or otherwise wrote in in several places. They stamped it somewhere and that was it. Bauderman does not show up in the WWII draft or enlistment records. He does show up in the Social Security death records.

Those German helmets: well, we don't get into non-US militaria here, but there are more fake German camo helmets sold each year than there were real ones issued in WWII.

You just are not going to find a real camo or painted helmet on Ebay. People are paying lots of money for the fakes because ( a ) they don't care as long it it looks cool, ( b ) they're too stupid to know they're getting taken and think they pulled one over on the seller by getting a $2,000 helmet for only $500, or ( c ) they know it's fake and hope they can sell it to some sucker down the line for a lot more than they paid for it.

Reason ( c ) keeps ebay sellers like easy_green in easy money as they turn out artful fakes that are snapped up as quick as they can make them.

An interesting tidbit I observed when looking at his photos (you gotta admit, the guy takes great pics...all the better to sell I'm sure)....the liner leather chinstrap has a 'history' mark on it from where the clip had sat for many years (note the fading and press marks)...prior to it being lengthened to put over the brim of the pot.....perhaps when the net was added.

post-271-1202558077.jpg

This is just a plain ole fixed bail that's been 'dressed' up.

I am NOT a helmet expert, but after long experience reading here, that liner chinstrap would be the first thing that I'd have issues with.

I don't have this kind of money to burn anyway....but I guess some folks do.

I also predict we'll be seeing this one again.

This seller has been the discussion of forums for as long as I remember for bad US and German items.

I've seen these discussions and know what Schottzie's talking about. This is one seller to avoid. Unless you have money to burn and want a nice "filler" for your collection. thumbdown.gif

Troy

also--- if i do remember correctly--- alot of his stuff comes from vet finds. thumbdown.gifthink.gifcrying.gifpinch.gif:blink:

I didn't know that the "vets" at the rest homes still did "arts and crafts" hour on WW2 lids. This guy really needs to reconsider what he is offering on ebay.

OK. I'm breaking from the pack on this one. I've seen some of his stuff before that he has sold on eBay. Several of these had been featured in Chris Armolds books(top medic lid on pg.152 of Painted Steel for instance) and were sold from this guys collection. He's had some legitimate lids for sale in the past from his collection and yes, there have been a few questionable ones also. Quite frankly, standing on it's own merits and not on what has been sold before, this looks to be a legitimate 9th ID lid. Sorry my friends but, thumbs up on this one thumbsup.gif

I didn't know that the "vets" at the rest homes still did "arts and crafts" hour on WW2 lids. This guy really needs to reconsider what he is offering on ebay.

The reason that I personally don't like this one is simply because there are too many questionable aspects to it. Lets look at the net 1st. Notice that every hole in the netting has an off color hue (not green) that surrounds the corresponding hole like a halo. This "halo" is created when the fabric is burned or exposed to an open flame. There are no other methods that I know of that create this "tell-tale" signature. If you notice the big hole pictured in this auction, the paint job that has been exposed exhibits scorching. This is also tell-tale to exposure to an open flame. Now, on to the AAAO marking. If you look closely at the paint you can start to see "brown" residue "on top" of the paint. This is usually accomplished by the addition of shoe polish or stain in an attempt to "age" the desired area. There are few doubts that this helmet's factory paint job is a basket case. If you look between the netting squares, you will see a very damaged paint job. While this paint job is probably the only original paint on the helmet, Why is the unit marking in such good condition? While this helmet looks close to an original, I'm of the belief that it falls extremely short of anything that I'd want to spend the $800 on to liberate from ebay. I just wanted to clarify/ justify my earlier comment on this helmet. That's why i'm giving it a thumbdown.gif

OK. I'm breaking from the pack on this one. I've seen some of his stuff before that he has sold on eBay. Several of these had been featured in Chris Armolds books(top medic lid on pg.152 of Painted Steel for instance) and were sold from this guys collection. He's had some legitimate lids for sale in the past from his collection and yes, there have been a few questionable ones also. Quite frankly, standing on it's own merits and not on what has been sold before, this looks to be a legitimate 9th ID lid. Sorry my friends but, thumbs up on this one thumbsup.gif

Hi Bugme,

This guy is a collector but he never tried to remove the net to check if the liner has the AAAO insignia painted on it, only to avoid to make the camo net loose. Very strange behavior, isn't it? Personally, I can't believe it? laughing1.gif

Dan.

Hi Bugme,

This guy is a collector but he never tried to remove the net to check if the liner has the AAAO insignia painted on it, only to avoid to make the camo net loose. Very strange behavior, isn't it? Personally, I can't believe it? laughing1.gif

Dan.

Have you ever had a brittle net in your hands? If you had, you would know why he said that. However, I still would remove the liner to check it myself but, that's me, I've met collectors who are afraid to do that. I knew my breaking with the pack was risky but I didn't think it was that funny. ermm.gif

Im not sold on this helmet but the guy selling it in my opinion sells both good and bad ones and thats enough for me and the big$$ to steer clear :blink: too sketchy

Let me be clear, I think this seller has shot himself in the foot in the past because of some questionable items that he's sold. This has brought about a lot of doubt on this seller. But, if I remember right this thread asked what we thought of this particular helmet. So, on the helmet, I still say it's legit and there "ain't no" shoe polish on this one. That said, I won't bid on it for various reasons not the least of which is a lack of cash(because it will go for many thousands of dollars) and the loss of his provenance which he should have found before listing it. Maybe I'm wrong on this one, maybe not. I think many of us here try and act like experts when in reality we're only students in this collecting field... always learning.

Have you ever had a brittle net in your hands? If you had, you would know why he said that. However, I still would remove the liner to check it myself but, that's me, I've met collectors who are afraid to do that. I knew my breaking with the pack was risky but I didn't think it was that funny. ermm.gif

Bugme,

To be the devil’s advocate is not an easy part to play and your point of view is rather courageous. I was not laugthing at your respectable arguments but at seller’s hazy explanations... ;)

Dan.

Looking again at the auction photos... is the net offered with the helmet even a US one? Although aged and apparently worn, it reminds me of post war western European nets.

Looking again at the auction photos... is the net offered with the helmet even a US one? Although aged and apparently worn, it reminds me of post war western European nets.

Cesar,

The net is a British one, there are photos around of the 9th Division wearing the very same nets.

I have quite a few of them.

Rich