Resurrecting a Bancroft "Crusher"

riflegreen297

riflegreen297

This Bancroft "Crusher" (if it wasn't originally a Crusher, well it's Crushed now) was in the pile uniforms I purchased. I believe it is salvagable. The leather bill, while crumpled is still very plyable and the cloth seems in pretty good shape. The inside is a little worse for wear, but I am only looking to restore it for display with a jacket. What would be the best method to "reshape" the hat and getting the bill back to what it should look like (color & shape)? Any advice?

022-4.jpg

023-5.jpg

024-4.jpg

025-3.jpg

026-2.jpg

To glibly paraphrase an old line; just remove the radiator cap and slide a new car underneath. Not much help but hard to resist trying to lighten up a pretty tough looking project. Good luck.

What I would try is to take it to a good cowboy hat outlet.

The best ones will have a steam machine used to shape brims and crowns to a wearer's specifications, and to restore crushed head gear. The steam treatment will work to some degree on the bill, band and strap too.

A little patience, and a little luck, and I think you might just get it looking as good as it ever will.

Old timey haberdashers could do this, but I have not seen one around, anywhere, in the past 50 years.

Blue has some great advice.

I have had a bit of luck reshaping them sometimes using elastic material sewn into bands or rubber bands placed around the cap to to reshape it.You dont have to wrap the bands very tight.Some times using a head form will help.

If it were mine, I would place it on a solid head form and curl the visor every so gently into shape and put an elastic band on it for a few days. Re-adjust and let sit every few days. With the visor being leather, it might not hurt to put some leather preservative or maybe polish on it. As long as it isn't moth-eaten, it's worth reshaping as it is a Bancroft Flighter, possibly the most desirable crusher that ever existed.

I'd carefully separate the cover from the hat. Clean the leather lightly with saddle soap, then oil lightly. Have the top cover dry cleaned. Brasso the badge (or leave the patina)

I second the steam treatment.....my mom used to shape cowboy hats by hanging them over the stove with water boiling beneath (good western family). Once you get the brim pliable, I'd flatten it with some heavy books.... Maybe then touch up the brown leather with a light coat of brown shoe polish if it was dis-colored. (just enough to bring some color back). Once you've re-set the cap to flat, then you can readjust it to wearable. Good luck, post some pictures!!!

Once the hat is cleaned and steamed & reshaped THE thing to use on the visor edging is Fiebings Edge-Kote in medium brown. Paint it on with a fine artists brush. It blends nicely & is designed for leather & to be flexible . HTH

Tim

The cover may not be removable so be careful. I've used the brush attachment on our vacuum cleaner to clean the tops of hats, you'd be surprised how much dust it will suck out of the cloth.

The cover may not be removable so be careful. I've used the brush attachment on our vacuum cleaner to clean the tops of hats, you'd be surprised how much dust it will suck out of the cloth.

A trick I learned in museum school was to place a flat sheet section of ordinary window screening material on top of the textile between it and the vacuum hose/attachment in order to better suck junk through without risking sucking any artifact matter out.

Thanks for the tip, I hadn't heard that before! :thumbsup:

The screen technic works well on uniforms as well like Blue stated.Often a section of the nylon screen you buy in the roll works well.

I have restored many "bent out of shape" crushers by letting them sit on a stretcher for a while. Do not bend the leather at all, if you do you risk cracking the rolled edge on the Flighter. If the cap is put on a correct stretcher the brim will shape naturally. If you must, use a steamer to lightly steam the crown back into shape. Do your very best not to expose any of the leather parts to the steam or water. Here are some shots of one of my projects on a cap that was much worse than this one.

img00631201103211620.jpg

img00715201103262210.jpg

img00717201103262211.jpg

img00711201103262207.jpg

Cobblers of western boots use steam to help form leather, so its pretty safe to use unless the leather is extremely old or already dry rotted to the point of flaking apart.

• 2 weeks later...

Great advise from everyone,but sometimes it is better to leave wee enough alone. I have seen way to many items ruined with good intentions than I care to mention. If it were mine I would either send it to a pro or lightly clean it and put it on a hat form and leave it be.