4th Infantry Division Combat Medic Grouping

GIKyle

This was an ebay find.... sort of. The seller had if for sale for a few days before it was taken down. If was a betting man, it was probably reported by someone who tried to buy it now and was rejected. At any rate, I had asked a question about the group and because of that the seller emailed me and a few other interested parties, with the first one responding getting the prize. I was the lucky one, so here it is!

The trinkets:

post-537-1347216504.jpg

Both medals are unnamed/ unnumbered field awards. The dogtags have a very nice and heavy early type chain.

post-537-1347216516.jpg

Armband that was not photographed. Not sure if it is his - there is not a number stamped in it to match his ID card. Note the CIB - this is the second ETO medic's group I've owned with a CIB being with his effects.

post-537-1347216681.jpg

Patch and Ribbon Bar

post-537-1347216708.jpg

And finally, the original citation for his Silver Star

post-537-1347216939.jpg

This group is new to the collection, so there is much research to do. Am looking forward to seeing what can be found!

Thanks for looking!

Kyle

Hi

Nice grouping

i saw it on Ebay but it was stopped before the end of auction

i wouls have been very interested but you were the best !

i own the 22nd infantry regimental book if you need any help

PIPO

Note the CIB - this is the second ETO medic's group I've owned with a CIB being with his effects.

post-537-1347216681.jpg

The CIB was instituted in late 1943 and there was some initial confusion about who exactly was authorized to receive it. I have seen documented cases of the badge being awarded to a general officer (later rescinded) and to engineers but subsequent changes in the regulations clarified that it was intended strictly for infantrymen. Other than a few potential transferees from other units, the first soldiers of the 4th Infantry Division to qualify for the badge would have been in Normandy.

I believe there is a reference in Bill Mauldin's book "Up Front" to some medics in Europe attached to infantry units initially wearing the Combat Infantry Badge but soon after being ordered to take them off because some higher ups felt this could be construed as a violation of the Geneva Convention. I believe that because of this and the tremendous respect the infantryman had for their medics, it was combat infantrymen who lobbied hardest for a similar badge for the medics which was finally approved in early 1945.

It would be interesting to know if there are any orders in your guy's service record reflecting that he was initially awarded the CIB.

Wasn't the CIB retroactively awarded to all recipients of the Bronze Star? Perhaps it was also awarded to recipients of the Silver Star? Just a thought.

Wasn't the CIB retroactively awarded to all recipients of the Bronze Star? Perhaps it was also awarded to recipients of the Silver Star? Just a thought.

No, the Bronze Star was retroactively awarded to all WWII recipients of the CIB and CMB.

Many thanks, guys! PIPO- I may need you to reference that book in the future. Unfortunately I won't be able to pull his records as NPRC only had his final pay voucher. Will just have to see if there's any other records to be found!

Kyle

• 2 weeks later...

Bringing this up again to do some photo comparisons. I have blown up the photo on his medic's ID card, and also have a comparison photo from Utah Beach. My wife seems to think there are some similarities with the eyebrows, eyes, and nose, so my mind may not be playing tricks with me.

Interested to know what others think - I appreciate your opinions.

Kyle

post-537-1348943464.jpgpost-537-1348943470.jpg

USMC-RECON0321

Kyle,

Excellent grouping!! I would agree that the pics are of the same soldier!! All the facial features appear to match. Is there any further info on the beach picture? I've seen that picture in a couple of places but can't seem to find it at the moment.

Troy

Thanks guys. Troy - I too have seen that photo in a couple places but never a caption stating which regiment this was.

Hope all is well with your grandfather.

Kyle

Patch and Ribbon Bar

post-537-1347216708.jpg

This may be over-analyzing things, as we tend to do on this forum, but his ribbon bar suggests to me that he might have been wounded seriously enough to have spent quite a while in the hospital and maybe even evacuated back to the States. The 22nd Infantry Regiment went into combat at Utah Beach on D-Day, thus his invasion arrowhead on the ribbon of his European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal. But notice there are only two campaign stars even though the 22nd is credited with participation in five campaigns in WWII (Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace and Central Europe.) The missing three stars might otherwise be explained away as the ribbon bar having been procured before the end of the war, yet it also includes the ribbon for the WWII Victory Medal which was not established until July 6, 1945 and presumably not available until sometime after that, suggesting he was not discharged until after then. And he did receive two Purple Hearts.

The 22nd received two Distinguished Unit Citations during WWII, one for the period 26 July - 1 August 1944 (Normandy breakout?) which occurred during the Northern France Campaign but the other was for the period 16 November - 4 December 1944 (Huertgen Forest?) which was during the Rhineland Campaign. The 3rd Battalion received a separate DUC for 6 - 9 June 1944 (D-Day). As a member of the regimental medical detachment, he technically wouldn't have been assigned to the 3rd Battalion, but may have been attached and earned the DUC for that.

If the combination of campaign stars is accurate, I'm guessing that he was wounded seriously enough sometime before September 14, 1944 (end of the Northern France Campaign) that he was evacuated and never returned to the combat zone before the end of the war.

Anyway, there's my two cents' worth.