ASMIC Patch finds

irish

Well another ASMIC convention has come and gone. This year the quality and quantity of patches was great. As an added bonus prices have become very reasonable.

I was lucky enough to buy a collection of patches that had belonged to a career Intelligence officer spanning his time from the 50's until the late 70's. Most being Naval and Air Force Intelligence and Security units.

The first photo is of several patches related to the USS Pueblo. Most I am sure are familiar with the Pueblo's story, It was a Naval Intelligence ship which was boarded and captured by the North Koreans in January 1968. This would become known as the Pueblo incident. The N. Koreans contending it had entered their territorial waters while the U.S maintained it was in international waters. The Pueblo crew would not be released until December of that year. During the pre boarding and capture ordeal the Pueblo was in radio contact with the Navy Security Group in Kamiseya Japan. The Kamiseya radio group were the last people to speak with the USS Pueblo before capture.

NSGA Kamiseya would also send nine direct support personnel for duty onboard an EC-121 reconnaissance plane which was assigned to Fleet Recon Squadron VQ1 out of NAS Atsugi. They did not come home either. The "Super Connie" (Super Constellation) PR-21 was shot down by 2 MIG 17's over the Sea of Japan by the North Koreans, this occured in April of 1969. All 31 crew members on board were killed. Both the USS Pueblo and PR-21 were on Intelligence gathering missions at the time. The larger patch commemorates both of those occurences. Also a shoulder scroll for the Pueblo as well as NSGA Kamiseya patches. All the patches are Japanese made from the period. The USS Pueblo ship scroll is US. made

post-492-0-03800900-1406014818.jpg

Here are a few more patches from the Intell group. Big Look Spooks DaNang RVN. These were EC-121 Super Constellations. This outfit rotated from the Naval Security Group Atsugi Japan and was part of the Navy's VQ-1 Recon Squadron. They were engaged in Intelligence gathering.

post-492-0-99765900-1406014846.jpg

Here is another Intelligence related patch. See below info on the 41st Air Dvision
post-492-0-95010500-1406014878.jpg

Wikipedia. "The 41st Air Division was organized, administered, equipped, and trained assigned units in Japan from March 1952 – January 1968,. It conducted combined planning with the Japan Air Self Defense Force and, when directed by higher headquarters, joint and combined training with other allied forces. It also developed tactics and examined technical aspects of aerial warfare requirements for new weapons and weapon systems, and improved uses of current weapons. In addition, its assigned units carried out aerial surveillance and reconnaissance missions and collected, evaluated, produced and disseminated intelligence data. The division maintained operational control of all United States Navy and United States Marine Corps defense type aircraft, United States Army antiaircraft artillery, and surface to air missile units in Japan. In 1962 it became an operational organization that controlled, evaluated, and exercised assigned units. In fulfilling this role the division participated in exercises such as Commando Night, Commando Rock, Bright Night and Teamwork. In response to the Gulf of Tonkin Incident in 1964, the 41st deployed personnel and aircraft to Southeast Asia. These deployments continued periodically until the unit was inactivated."

Super cool. My sister is a Navy spook in Japan. Her husband, his son, and brother are also CTs. My son was a CT when he was in the Navy. Spook stuff is cool.

Here is another Intelligence related patch. See below info on the 41st Air Dvision

LeadSafe373.jpg

Wikipedia. "The 41st Air Division was organized, administered, equipped, and trained assigned units in Japan from March 1952 – January 1968,. It conducted combined planning with the Japan Air Self Defense Force and, when directed by higher headquarters, joint and combined training with other allied forces. It also developed tactics and examined technical aspects of aerial warfare requirements for new weapons and weapon systems, and improved uses of current weapons. In addition, its assigned units carried out aerial surveillance and reconnaissance missions and collected, evaluated, produced and disseminated intelligence data. The division maintained operational control of all United States Navy and United States Marine Corps defense type aircraft, United States Army antiaircraft artillery, and surface to air missile units in Japan. In 1962 it became an operational organization that controlled, evaluated, and exercised assigned units. In fulfilling this role the division participated in exercises such as Commando Night, Commando Rock, Bright Night and Teamwork. In response to the Gulf of Tonkin Incident in 1964, the 41st deployed personnel and aircraft to Southeast Asia. These deployments continued periodically until the unit was inactivated."

Well another ASMIC convention has come and gone. This year the quality and quantity of patches was great. As an added bonus prices have become very reasonable.

I was lucky enough to buy a collection of patches that had belonged to a career Intelligence officer spanning his time from the 50's until the late 70's. Most being Naval and Air Force Intelligence and Security units.

The first photo is of several patches related to the USS Pueblo. Most I am sure are familiar with the Pueblo's story, It was a Naval Intelligence ship which was boarded and captured by the North Koreans in January 1968. This would become known as the Pueblo incident. The N. Koreans contending it had entered their territorial waters while the U.S maintained it was in international waters. The Pueblo crew would not be released until December of that year. During the pre boarding and capture ordeal the Pueblo was in radio contact with the Navy Security Group in Kamiseya Japan. The Kamiseya radio group were the last people to speak with the USS Pueblo before capture.

NSGA Kamiseya would also send nine direct support personnel for duty onboard an EC-121 reconnaissance plane which was assigned to Fleet Recon Squadron VQ1 out of NAS Atsugi. They did not come home either. The "Super Connie" (Super Constellation) PR-21 was shot down by 2 MIG 17's over the Sea of Japan by the North Koreans, this occured in April of 1969. All 31 crew members on board were killed. Both the USS Pueblo and PR-21 were on Intelligence gathering missions at the time. The larger patch commemorates both of those occurences. Also a shoulder scroll for the Pueblo as well as NSGA Kamiseya patches. All the patches are Japanese made from the period. The USS Pueblo ship scroll is US. made

LeadSafe371-1.jpg

The forum members that did not have the chance to attend the show really missed out. There was plenty for all level of collecter from beginner to very advanced. The prices were reasonable and the displays were just great and informative. At my table the bulk was for the promotion of the update of ASMIC "Most Wanted". Members had the chance to see, handle, and even smell the patches. Check out the photos Allen H took of me and the Keller brothers who were taking pictures for two days at the table for their next book on airborne insignia. My best pickup at the show was a Sagumo Prison 555th MPpost-565-1347485740.jpg

The forum members that did not have the chance to attend the show really missed out. There was plenty for all level of collecter from beginner to very advanced. The prices were reasonable and the displays were just great and informative. At my table the bulk was for the promotion of the update of ASMIC "Most Wanted". Members had the chance to see, handle, and even smell the patches. Check out the photos Allen H took of me and the Keller brothers who were taking pictures for two days at the table for their next book on airborne insignia. My best pickup at the show was a Sagumo Prison 555th MPpost-565-1347485740.jpg

Mort,

OK, so where are the happy snaps of you and the Kellers?

By the way, doesn't everybody have one of those 555th Sugamo patches by now?

Patch Johnson

Mort,

Patch Johnson

Hey Steve, by the time I got at the guys table he was almost sold out;I was lucky to get the next to last one he had. The photos are in the Events forum for ASMIC. Also picked up a shoulder size SACO with a Dragon on a shield and a 3rd Div Battle Patrol patch and a Marine Night fighter patch with some Japanese moth holes. We all miss seeing you at the show;hope all is well with you and family. Mort

Mort,

Patch Johnson

[/quote

Aloha Steve, I had to hunt for the pixs as it was buried in the past events link. For those that could not find it here's the link. http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...47187&st=60

Mort great to see a picture of you. It's been a long time since attending ASMIC Convention.

A Hoi Hou,

Kiaiokalewa