My unexpected find yesterday...

jbassmaster18

jbassmaster18

Was doing our history hayrides for my reacting unit (2nd Rangers of St. Louis) yesterday, and on the last hayride, a kid was WEARING this:

IMG_0979.jpg

IMG_0982.jpg

IMG_0983.jpg

IMG_0980.jpg

IMG_0981.jpg

IMG_0984.jpg

I about had a heart attack when I saw it. It turns out it was a buddy of mine who had his kid wear it just to mess with me. Needless to say, it worked. I met up with him after the hayrides. It has a few field repairs around the cuffs and sleeves, as well as a rip beneath one pocket. The 82nd patch appears to be original. The belt is unused and rolled up in the pocket. We settled on $450 which I thought was a fair deal considering the condition. This thing is AWESOME. Can't believe I found an original M42!!

Nice honest looking jacket.The 82nd patch looks like one of the one piece variations with the khaki twill center.

Are both sleeves reinforced with an elbow patch??

Nice honest looking jacket.The 82nd patch looks like one of the one piece variations with the khaki twill center.

Are both sleeves reinforced with an elbow patch??

It is not so much an elbow patch as it is a repair. It is only on one side.

First thought that came to my head was reinforced elbows.

It is not so much an elbow patch as it is a repair. It is only on one side.

First thought that came to my head was reinforced elbows.

No,not typically incountered reinforced elbows/sleeves.I was thinking a repair and curious if it was on both sleeves. as the elbow area tended to be a high wear area.Soldiers added patches in a variety of ways.I have a tankers jacket from a

Colonel Hancock of the 34th Division.He added leather wear pad to the elbows.Also have a Mountain field jacket with white leather wear pads on the elbows and white leather cuff reinforcements.The cuffs on the 41,43 and Mountain jackets tended to wear easily.Repairs were done in various ways.

One jump jacket I have from a 508th PIR surgeon has hand loop stitch pockets on the lower edge.He did this as he stated the pockets would blow out when loaded when the force of the chute opened.

• 2 weeks later...