1930's AMERICAN LEGION TOY TRAIN

BEAST

I originally put this post under the modelling section, but am beginning to think that it belongs here.

During the 1930s, my Mom and my Grandmother belonged to the American Legion Auxillery. During this time, Mom decorated this handmade train car. The detail is hard to see on my photos but there is an American Legion Symbol by the "ONTO BERLIN", a 37th Division marking and a cutout reading "40 Hommes ET 8 Chevaux". "WHEN DO WE EAT? and "ETAT DE NORD" are also hand lettered. It looks like roofing nails were used on the front and rear bumpers. There are only two wheels and no decorations on the other side. As anyone else seen other examples of these or other vet organization toys?

post-203-1202443619.jpg

post-203-1202443611.jpg

BEAST,

I am fairly new to the field of collecting veterans related items. I can honestly say I've never seen anything like this. Is your mom still available to ask the reason behind its creation?

Kevin

BEAST,

I am fairly new to the field of collecting veterans related items. I can honestly say I've never seen anything like this. Is your mom still available to ask the reason behind its creation?

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

No unfortunetly she passed away a few years ago. When I first found it in our attic, I asked her about it and IIRC she told me that it was done to help raise funds for the American Legion. I assume that she meant that they decorated them and sold them for the local post.

Does anyone recognize the style of train car? I believe that it is supposed to be a European style, but really don't have a clue!

http://www.fortyandeight.org/background.htm

La Societe des Quarante Hommes at Huit Chevaux is an independent fraternal organization of U. S. veterans, more commonly known as the Forty & Eight.

The Forty & Eight was formed in 1920 by American Legionnaires as an honor society and from its earliest days it has been committed to charitable aims. Membership is by invitation for members of the American Legion who have shown exemplary service. All Forty & Eight members are thus veterans of congressionally recognized wartime periods via their Legion membership.

The Forty & Eight’s titles and symbols reflect its First World War origins. American servicemen in France were transported to the battle front on narrow gauge French railroads (Chemin de Fer) inside boxcars (Voitures) that were half the size of American boxcars. Each French boxcar was stenciled with a “40/8”, denoting its capacity to hold either forty men or eight horses. This ignominious and uncomfortable mode of transportation was familiar to all who traveled from the coast to the trenches; a common small misery among American soldiers who thereafter found “40/8” a lighthearted symbol of the deeper service, sacrifice and unspoken horrors of war that truly bind those who have borne the battle.

Kevin,

Thanks for posting the links. I had seen the 40&8 boxcars before, but not with the added stairs as shown in the first photo in the link you provided. I had only seen photos of the standard boxcars.

With all of the discussion on the veteran organizations medals/badges and clothing on the forum, I am hoping others have similar toys or other unusual items for the different organizations.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

The "Gratitude Trains", while generally regarded as 40 & 8s were sent to the US, one for each state at the time, filled with gifts from the grateful citizens of France. The 40 & 8r differed a little, though I believe several of the friendship train cars were converted to 40 & 8 box cars. The ladder was a common structure on the 40 & 8s in service during the war, perhaps to provide an elevated position for securty watch.

Bill Fikes

Chef De Gare Passe 40 & 8 Voiture 318 Alaska.

40 & 8 blueprints

post-5419-1324245380.gif

40 & 8 Cap device

post-5419-1324245568.jpg