Temporary Exhibit on the American Soldier

gwb123

The Durham Museum is housed in the north terminal of what used to be Omaha's Union Station (on the viewer's right on the attached photo).

Through this coming winter (September 22, 2012 - January 6, 2013) it will have a series of exhibits on the American Soldier.

The venue could not be more appropriate.

Thousands of US troops moved through the station during WWII, with the lucky ones being able to spend a few short hours relaxing between trains.

(Period photos are from displays at the museum).

http://durhammuseum.org/experience/exhibit...ails.aspx?ID=60

In addition to photographs of Americans in uniform, there will be a series of films, lectures and music.

AA1.jpg

AA_3.jpg

AA2.jpg

AA4.jpg

AA5.jpg

AA7.jpg

AA8.jpg

To compliment the program, there is also a display of uniforms and artifacts already open for view as of this weekend:

http://durhammuseum.org/experience/exhibit...ails.aspx?ID=62

"The Durham’s curatorial and exhibition team, Worn with Pride: Americans in Uniform gives visitors an up-close examination of the lives of service men and women in the midst of combat. Artifacts from each conflict the United States has been involved with from the Civil War to present day Iraq and Afghanistan are showcased to bring home the very personal experiences of war and how advances in technology has changed that experience over the last 150 years.

The exhibit includes items loaned from several local veterans and collectors of military service objects. These are displayed alongside artifacts from the Nebraska State Historical Society, the State Historical Society of Iowa, Strategic Air and Space Museum, and the Durham’s own collection.

Items of special note include artifacts from the Civil War, both Union and Confederacy, artifacts from the first Nebraska volunteer in the Spanish-American war, and uniforms from Senator Charles “Chuck” Hagel, General Robert “Bob” Kehler of U.S. Strategic Command, Lieutenant General Leo W. Smith, II and Vice Admiral C.R. “Bob” Bell. "

It's an interesting museum.

It used to be called the Durham Western Heritage Museum. It has a lot of Omaha history from it's founding through the mid 20th Century.

A good part of that is railroad history as you would imagine.

It has to be one of the best preserved 1930's/ 1940's era railway stations.

Of course most of the tracks are gone. The terminal on the southside is derelict. This building was too, but was saved and preserved with about a decade of restoration work.

However, they get a number of exhibitions throughout the year on a broad range of subjects. One of their better ones in recent years was on natural disasters. Living in a tornado zone, you can imagine that was quite appropriate.

I hate to admit my age, but I am old enough to actually remember places like this. The sculptures that are scattered around the station are just to make you look twice and think you are having a flash back. There is one that is a mother travelling with two small children being aided by a porter... it is a dead ringer for when my Mom took me and my sister across country to join my father in Idaho, with a stop over in Chicago.

BB5_small.jpg

BB13_small.jpg

BB8_small.jpg

BB9_small.jpg

BB14_small.jpg

It was so long ago it is a little fuzzy, but I caught a train at Omaha's Union Station and went to Los Angeles back in the 1950's. The State Basketball Tournaments used to be in Omaha and my High School didn't ride buses to Omaha. Burlington would put some old passenger cars on the back of a Mail Train and we would get on at the old Havelock Train Station in northeast Lincoln and ride to Omaha. We would get off near Union Station and on buses to the game and coming home was the reverse. I think I might run up to Omaha to check out the Durham.

I hate to admit my age, but I am old enough to actually remember places like this. The sculptures that are scattered around the station are just to make you look twice and think you are having a flash back. There is one that is a mother travelling with two small children being aided by a porter... it is a dead ringer for when my Mom took me and my sister across country to join my father in Idaho, with a stop over in Chicago.

I'm one of those ole persons too :lol:

... and remember those stations with great fondness. The ones in Los Angeles, Chicago, Cincinnati and Washington DC stand out.

In the 1970s I was assigned to do a collections management consultancy for Omaha's fine Joslyn Art Museum. The curator of American Indian artifacts had recently passed away, so her entire department was effectively closed down for awhile. Omaha has a tremendous historical legacy thereabouts. Really enjoyed being there.

Thanks so much for this enlightening share.

I'm one of those ole persons too :lol:

... and remember those stations with great fondness. The ones in Los Angeles, Chicago, Cincinnati and Washington DC stand out.

In the 1970s I was assigned to do a collections management consultancy for Omaha's fine Joslyn Art Museum. The curator of American Indian artifacts had recently passed away, so her entire department was effectively closed down for awhile. Omaha has a tremendous historical legacy thereabouts. Really enjoyed being there.

Thanks so much for this enlightening share.

The Joslyn is amazing, especially for a collection that fine to be in a town of this size. They also get some wonderful travelling exhibits. After Katrina, they were one of the museums that hosted works from the New Orleans Museum of Art while they repaired flood damage. I will never forget the first thing you saw was a 20 foot tall portrait of King Louis XIV... incredibly realistic and it told you right away who was the King of France!