Nurse Of Surgical Team 21 7th Army Very Large Group

manayunkman

The back of the photo

On their way in to Anzio.

Not rank insignia on the helmets and RC armband.

post-51189-1349190530.jpg

Mrs S spent 2 1/2 years overseas starting in Italy and ending in Germany.

You can see the overseas bars on this, my favorite, uniform.

British made battle Jacket.

Would that be considered an Ike skirt to go with the Ike jacket?

The skirt has the same buttons as the British made battle jacket.

No tag in it but I'm thinking it is British made.

Here is a photo.

post-51189-1349200365.jpg

• 4 months later...
memphis_belle

Wow, I'm so lucky to find this topic! I've been looking for information on Ruth C. Sobeck for some time because I have some of her uniforms. And here it is + a picture! Please, if you have any more photos of Ruth Sobeck or any relevant information, could you post it here or PM me? I would love to make a little display about her.

I have her blue off-duty dress and a matching blue garisson cap, beige garrison cap and OD cape - all named with the same looking name tag as the one in the Ike jacket that you posted!

I attach a photo of the blue garrison cap. The quality is bad but I'll try to take more better pictures once I'm home for the Easter break.

post-105115-0-79426800-1361641660.jpg

post-105115-0-15563200-1361641667.jpg

memphis_belle

I'm probably not the best model but I just want to show you Ruth Sobeck's blue off duty dress. It's in perfect condition, although the belt is missing. I think it's the rarest piece in my ANC collection.

post-105115-0-59306200-1361642450.jpg

memphis_belle

You look great in it. For once someone who's doing it right, paying attention to the details. You look Fab!

AG

Thank you, I'm doing my best :blush: .

• 5 months later...

Glad I was able to find this post. Just purchased Ruth Sobeck's searsucker shirt to wear with searsucker slacks.

Would like to hear from anyone who now has her uniforms for information on her life, unit, when died (if has died).

Thanks,

Frank

Found Ruth Sobeck's obituary. She died 28 July 2003 and is buried at Fort Indiantown Gap National Cem. She was 1LT when discharged in Feb 1946. Married George Smith in 1954 (he died in 1957).

• 2 years later...
manayunkman

I started another thread yesterday about a Nurse group that came up for sale.

God bless you Mrs. Simmons it was a privilege and honor to know you and the gals.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is a great grouping! The different groupings of uniforms are amazing! The one lightweight dress you were unsure of is an off duty dress. They were required to be in uniform at all times and this uniform was adopted for this purpose. There were 2 other colors created for this also.

• 1 year later...
manayunkman

Ms. Sobeck lived accross the street from Bishop Mcdevitt HS in Harrisburg.

She had a display case with about 20 pieces of Allach porcelain in it all from Dachau.

• 1 year later...

Hello,

This is Ruth Sobeck's great niece.  She actually only had one piece of porcelain from Dachau and that was  a little lamb given to her from her friend Helen Simmons.  I think I have a picture of the cabinet somewhere. I will look so we can double check.  

Kristen

Amazing grouping! Did the group ever sell as I read it was for sale.

Who ever is the new owner sure is lucky! This is definitely one of the nicest groups I've seen.

Just saw this now.

Kristen it’s great to hear from you.

I spent some time with your aunt back in the 90s and 2000s.

I only went to the house once and remember the closet being full figures but I’m sure you are correct.

Somewhere I got the idea that she was at Dachau too. 

As far as I know Mrs Simmons group is still together. 

1 hour ago, manayunkman said:

Just saw this now.

Kristen it’s great to hear from you.

I spent some time with your aunt back in the 90s and 2000s.

I only went to the house once and remember the closet being full figures but I’m sure you are correct.

Somewhere I got the idea that she was at Dachau too. 

As far as I know Mrs Simmons group is still together. 

I am so glad you posted some of Helen's pictures. I recall seeing them when I was around 10 years old and I never forgot them.  It is a little blurry to me how often she and Ruth were at the same places, but I don't recall Aunt Ruth telling any stories about Dachau.  Helen was an amazing woman and I am so glad you treasure her memories!   I do have some reunion pictures from Aunt Ruth when she hosted some of her friends at her house. I don't know if that is anything folks would be interested in , but I can look for that box of pictures. I don't think anyone is labeled on them, though.