Interesting Piece of Art

SDC

This was given to me as a gift by a very good friend in Italy, so technically it's not a "Find and Acquisition", but I thought it may be of interest nonetheless. Except for the bayonet lugs and the base, this is made entirely from shrapnel recovered from the area where my father served in combat with the 10th Mountain Division. Not really sure what the base is made of, but it might be from some sort of canister.

post-3625-1347123061.jpg

That is an outstanding piece.

If I had a 10th Mtn collection I would be all over you right now.

The base is a lid to an amo carrier for mortar round. I think.

Any history behind it like who made it and when ?

Very nice.

M

This was given to me as a gift by a very good friend in Italy, so technically it's not a "Find and Acquisition", but I thought it may be of interest nonetheless. Except for the bayonet lugs and the base, this is made entirely from shrapnel recovered from the area where my father served in combat with the 10th Mountain Division. Not really sure what the base is made of, but it might be from some sort of canister.

Amazing, in every way.

doinworkinvans

I have no ties to the 10th mtn whatsoever but I would still be glad to have that for sure! Thats a super looking piece!

Nice!!!

My first thought when looking at the base was that it was made out of the "cloverleaf" that held three cardboard mortar round tubes -one on each end. I am probably way off on this, but that's what came to mind. I think therre is a thread on these somewhere in the forum.

Steve B is correct with the "cloverleaf".

I found many of those in the Ardennes back in the 1980s.

A very unique and nice piece.

Even I as TD collector would not mind having it in my collection. :)

Erwin

Thanks all for the nice comments. I think this was made fairly recently, probably in the last few years. The name Bianchi is stamped into it in two places, along with the name Franco, so perhaps the artist is Franco Bianchi ? There is also a long set of numbers stamped into the base. Not sure if by the artist or if those cloverleaf bases were numbered. At any rate it's now a treasured piece here. However there is a very active discussion going on about where best to keep it. While I think the mantle is just fine, others in this establishment seem to feel the basement with my other "stuff" is more appropriate. I'll probably keep it by my Dad's medals and flag at some point. Also have a dug M1 barreled receiver from the area I need to somehow display.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...