CVC helmet..."Desert Storm" bring-back?

Sabrejet

CVC helmet with added Sun, Wind, Dust goggles for that "Desert Storm" look!

Ian, hows about Weird Al Yankovich modeling the CVC with goggles....

f1845f5e.jpg

Gentex Corp. used to have an excellent museum/reference page on their website. It disappeared a while ago but according to one of the company reps (about a year ago) it should be coming back, I really hope so as it covered all of their products from way back.

Gentex Corp. used to have an excellent museum/reference page on their website. It disappeared a while ago but according to one of the company reps (about a year ago) it should be coming back, I really hope so as it covered all of their products from way back.

The young lady who did all that work including the photography is no longer with Gentex which is a real shame. She talked them into preserving these helmets and actually searched for them in closets, storerooms, and offices. Up to the time she established the virtual museum there had not been any attempt to preserve specimens of the helmets that were produced there. I don't know if they have a policy now but I do know she had all the ones she found boxed up and labeled and stored in a safe place.

Larry

That's very interesting Larry. I thought it was pretty much standard practice for companies to retain and document examples of all their various products. Evidently not!? :o

That's very interesting Larry. I thought it was pretty much standard practice for companies to retain and document examples of all their various products. Evidently not!? :o

Ian, I think it is more the exception than the rule. I can only speak knowledgeably about Gentex having visited their plant and having made contacts there in years past. In the case of Gentex there were simply too many various types and configurations of helmets to keep track of, often there would be various designers and design teams working on the same project with different results. Prototypes abounded and if not acted upon were simply relegated to the nearest shelf or closet, often without any accompanying paperwork. The object was, and is, of course to get a sample to the requesting Government authority, have it approved, negotiate a price, contract, and produce. Helmets are often produced in massive numbers or in some instances, special forces requests primarily, only a couple of dozen and in these instances there may not be any paperwork generated at all so the total number produced may only be known by a couple of people. Take the MC-140 family of helmets produced in the 1980's for the USMC, only 1400 of these were produced but nobody can say for sure which of the various helmets were produced in what quantity. The special forces community has carte blanche to procure at their own discretion any type of gear they feel is needed for a particular operation. An example would be the Gentex produced DH-132DB of which only 25 were produced. The Army SF was working with various configurations of dune buggies in the 1980's and 1990's, they were called desert patrol vehicles among other names at different times. They wanted a CVC type helmet for the crews which would have visor and visor housings similar to aircrew helmets but comm.gear compatible with armored vehicles, etc., they called in the requirements, Gentex designers put a sample together, and the Army ordered 25 and that was it. There are numerous examples of this type limited procurement.

Larry

CVC helmet with added Sun, Wind, Dust goggles for that "Desert Storm" look!

post-8022-1347190710.jpgpost-8022-1347190716.jpg

Hi Sabrejet,

I picked up a mint CVC on eBay last year. Manufactured 1979 I seem to recall (it is currently doing sterling service providing valuable loft insulation like so much of my stuff). It came in its Gentex cardboard box with all the cords and apart from the dreaded ear foam rot it was great - still in it's original OD green paint and all the labels clear.

I paid £25 for it delivered and I was the only bidder.

The story was it came from a well-known UK defence company and had arrived with a US-supplied item of tracked equipment which was being evaluated to carry a missile system then under test. Apart from a few trips around their site the CVC didn't have much use and ended up in the skip - where my chap rescued it.

Cheers,

Steve