Information asked about Major H.H. Turney-High

Snakepuke

Dear all,

Although I have not participated much (lately) I would still like to ask for your help. This may be questions that is asked many times but as I am new to searching information about Americans I have absolutely now idea how to proceed. Hence my question.

I recently bought a Knight in the Order of Orange-Nassau along with the Dutch version of the Royal Decree belonging to the American (then) Major Harry Holbert TURNEY-HIGH.

I already found out that Major Turney-High was the writer of books like 'Primitive Warfare: Its Practice and Concepts' and 'The Military: The Theory of Land Warfare As Behavioral Science'. I also found this link with some information and a photograph.

My question to you all is; would it be possible to find out more about Major Turney-High's military service, his medal entitlement and the citations of the decorations and orders he was awarded? And, if so, how should I proceed? And is Major Turney-High a well know figure in the military because of his (later) work, or would that be an overstatement....?

post-3388-1346939549.jpg

post-3388-1346939610.jpg

Someone on here may be able to help you with the origins of his medal and why it was awarded; I did a quick search for him and in a book entitled War Before Civilization Turney-High is mentioned as having been a Colonel in the Military Police during World War II, but it also states that he did not see any combat during the war. And yes, it would be an overstatement to say he is a well-known figure.

Not much, but hope it helps

Haha, thank you very much for your answer. It was just optimistic of me to think (read: hope!) that Turney-High was famous in one way or another. It is just that the "many" hits on Amazon and others made me start to think.....

I will await patiently on others with more knowledge than me to help me on my way :D

Not much about him on Ancestry related to his military service. I was able to find his BIRLS file:

Name: Harry Turney High

Birth Date: 11 Feb 1899

Death Date: 2 Oct 1982

Branch 1: ARMY

Enlistment Date 1: 14 Aug 1942

Release Date 1: 17 Feb 1946

And this newspaper article from May 1st, 1943 where he is mentioned as a 1st Lt with Military Police. There are at least 200 other articles from 1930-1970 mentioning him as well - all related to his anthropological research.

post-29885-1346965944.jpg

Good old Professor Turney-High! I had to read his book on primative warfare for one of my military history classes at the University of South Carolina in the early 70s. :)

Thank you for the information, Eric! Would it be possible to request for his Service File? And if so, do you know how I should proceed?