The USN Hospital Corps pouch vs the 14-280

robinb

This entry is important to the 14-280 bag question. It calls for one bag for plasma. And there are 8 units of plasma. I don't know exactly what size a unit of plasma is, but I don't think it would be possible to fit 8 of them into a Hospital Corps Pouch, Small.

6.JPG

Incredible list!

I own a corpsman jumper from a sailor on the USS Darke, this is very helpful in learning more of his equipment.

Leonardo

Here's a picture of one plasma unit. There is no way that 8 of these woud fit in a Hospital Corps Pouch, Small. But they sure would fit in a Case, Canvas, Carrying, stock number 14-280.

plasma.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I saw four 14-280 bags yesterday at our local flea market. I sure got excited until close inspection found that all were ruined by some civilian owner. Full of holes, missing parts, and paint spilled on some of them. One even had a 3rd USMC Division patch painted on the side in red and yellow. It made me sick to have to pass on them.

• 3 weeks later...

Robin are you going to publish any of this documentation you have found? I would like to get copies of those equipment lists so i can better identify my collection.

Hello Robinb, very interesting topic ... I think most readers dont' post because they are simply learning from you :)

I read somewhere that the corpsman bag was supplied empty, with the USN MD general supplies, just to be filled with what was available and necessary at the moment.

I've found the answer to the missing stock number question. It was right here on the Forum the whole time in the field gear reference section. The stock number for the Hospital Corps Pouch, Large is 3-555.

3 555 l.jpg

And while I'm at it, we can all stop calling the USMC Parachutist bag the S14. that's not the whole title for that pouch. It's the S14-075 First Aid, Paratroop.

MVC-001S.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Robin, thanks for posting the info from the APA medical equip regs. I have a similar unit to the 14-280, but it is a 14-243 (a field medical unit 103 according to the manual). I have been looking for info on the unit 103 for years, but came up dry. Does the manual go into any specifics as to what was to be packed in each case? I have case 3 of 6. Thanks again for sharing this information!

post-12303-0-06267300-1357770554.jpg post-12303-0-37169600-1357770572.jpg

And the stock number for the Pouch, Hosptial Corps, Small is 3-560. Now can we please stop calling these pouches the 14-280?

post-61-0-59627500-1356837264.jpg

Mystery solved. Now somebody just needs to relay this information to a certain author.

"Does the manual go into any specifics as to what was to be packed in each case?"

Thanks for adding your Unit 103 to my post. It's the first one that I have seen. I posted the list of Unit 103 items as you can see, but there is no list of what goes in each of the 6 parts of the set. I don't have any more information.

Thanks, Robinb, for educating us about Hospital Corps pouches ... I won't speak for others, but it's really very interesting and well documented.

So now I have a 3-555 pouch in my collection B) ... I really need a 3-560 :D

• 1 year later...
airborne53

hello

one canvas listed on Robinb manual , beach medical resupply stock 813 468 , perhaps post war usn stencil addition

usn_be12.jpg

usn_be13.jpg

thanks

olivier

• 9 months later...
uplandmod

Finally purchased one of these Fiber Cases for my Corpsman collection, interesting that it doesn't have any stenciling anywhere on the case.

Glad I finally found out!

post-20589-0-26041700-1430499686.jpg

Finally purchased one of these Fiber Cases for my Corpsman collection, interesting that it doesn't have any stenciling anywhere on the case.

Glad I finally found out!

attachicon.gifcorspman-case.jpg

Hello,

very nice case, I've seen some on Ebay and forums but never had the opportunity to get one :(

Regards, E

• 1 month later...

Pick this 14-280 Bag today for my Fiber case....I have a second one coming as well.

Glad to finally find one!

Leonardo

post-20589-0-25528600-1433439944.jpg

post-20589-0-78698700-1433440077.jpg

Hello Leonardo,

very nice bag ... the buckles seem different from the other bags displayed in this topic.

Now that you have the bag, you just need to fill the case ;)

E

Hello Leonardo,

very nice bag ... the buckles seem different from the other bags displayed in this topic.

Now that you have the bag, you just need to fill the case ;)

E

I have 7 of these bags now. There is not much consistency between them. Different buckles, width of shoulder straps, color, materials. and even the size varies from bag to bag.

I have 7 of these bags now. There is not much consistency between them. Different buckles, width of shoulder straps, color, materials. and even the size varies from bag to bag.

...so the 14-280 bag is a collection topic by itself B)

I wish I had one but they are near impossible to find here in Europe.

Regards, E

• 1 month later...