.45 ACP - 1941

I bought this box of Winchester .45 acp ammo at a gun show. The guy selling said a boatload of WW2 US ammunition was sold off by the NZ Defence Department years ago, and this box was a small part of that lot. The seller had a lot more.

I like it, nice date stamp, good condition. I paid $40. Is this stuff rare or common in the US?

post-6029-1346835997.jpg

I've never seen it. That packaging is for foreign Military assistance the Wording and quantity are for Commonwealth issue. This would not have been made available except as a reimport and I believe the reimport of US Manufactured ammunition was banned 10 plus years ago. Very Cool Package that would go nicely with a BNP marked 1911.

Nice Find you got there, dont know how Rare it is in State Side But sure as Hell

i wouldn't mind having those .45 Rounds & Box 1941 Dated' to add to My Military Collection looks great :thumbsup:

http://www.Paratrooper1944.Com/

https://www.facebook.com/paratrooper1944

IN MEMORY OF IRISH/AMERICANS FROM MY COUNTY.
Cpl: Patrick Gallagher, 3rd U.S.M.C Div K.I.A 30/03/1967 Navy Cross
Sgt: Patrick Nevin, B.Co. 1st Bn, 12th Cav, 1st CAVALRY Div K.I.A 23/02/1966

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

I see boxes of these from time to time.Also the Winchester 9mm from the war.I was at an auction a couple weeks ago and there were 40 plus cans of ammo there.Several boxes of 43 date 45 auto in the steel cases.Also Cabine ammo in Spam cans,tons of surplus 30-06.A little of it WW2 but most was 60s era in bandoleers packed in cans.Wasnt thinking as It was going for $40 ish a can on the average.Lots of surplus ammo there.Some things you had to watch what you bid on as there were odds and ends mixed in.

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

Trumper,

The box is rare. I would love to have one in my collection. Not sure what it would ke to import to U.S. from N.Z. The 9mm Winchester ammo of the same box style is much more common. Good stuff!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

NRA Life Member
Past President, The American Thompson Association
American Society of Arms Collectors
Ohio Gun Collectors Association
Carbine Club
Garand Collectors Association

International Ammunition Association
Contributing Writer, Small Arms Review Magazine
Co-Author, "Thompson Manuals, Catalogs, & Other Paper Items" Collector Guide
One of the "Other Authors" of "The Ultimate Thompson Book," by Tracie L. Hill
Eagle Scout, and Member of NESA

BTW, I'm interested if anyone has a box of these they would like to sell. These are the types of cartridges that were sent to Britain in the early days of the war, to support Savage manufactured Thompsons.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

NRA Life Member
Past President, The American Thompson Association
American Society of Arms Collectors
Ohio Gun Collectors Association
Carbine Club
Garand Collectors Association

International Ammunition Association
Contributing Writer, Small Arms Review Magazine
Co-Author, "Thompson Manuals, Catalogs, & Other Paper Items" Collector Guide
One of the "Other Authors" of "The Ultimate Thompson Book," by Tracie L. Hill
Eagle Scout, and Member of NESA

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know why this box is for 42 rounds and not 50?

Regards,

Charlile

Hi Charlie,

I asked the guy that was selling these that same question and he says it was because you could jam 21 or 22 rounds into a 20 round Thompson magazine so the British asked for 42 round boxes. Whether this is true or not...I have no idea but it sounded plausible. I thought it could have also been because of the dropped round factor, two spare rounds in case of loss.

John

Usually people prefer to load mags with few rounds less than its nominal capacity to avoid jamming. My idea is that with 42 rounds you can fill six M1911A1 mags.

True, but this is Lend-Lease ammunition, intended for the British who didn't have M1911A1 mags to fill. They had .455 or .38 for their service revolvers, and the box does say 'for use in Sub-Machine Guns', so why the 42 rounds? Perplexing.

True, but this is Lend-Lease ammunition, intended for the British who didn't have M1911A1 mags to fill. They had .455 or .38 for their service revolvers, and the box does say 'for use in Sub-Machine Guns', so why the 42 rounds? Perplexing.

But russians got a good number of M1911A1.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.