WWII Bell Aircraft Related Patches

tigerfan

Here are two different WWII Bell Aircraft related patches. The round one on top shows the nose of a P39 airplane and was worn by mechanics that worked on P39's. The other patch is from the Bell Aircraft rifle and pistol club. The mechanics patch shows up once in a while but the rifle and pistol club patch is scarce.

post-2609-1346772922.jpg

Johnny Signor

I have found sometime ago a web page (not sure where now)that said the P-39 nose patch was for pilots who graduated P-39 flying training school , there was a holder that the patch came in the had the figure of a person in uniform that the patch fit in as a "presention piece .

Just wanted to ad this info .

Johnny

This patch was given out at the dinner ceremonies to mechanics upon graduating the P39 mechanics coarse. It was presented within a cardboard cut out of a comical looking mechanic. A cardboard cutout was placed at each place setting at the graduation dinners. These were for mechanics and not pilots. This is not to say a P39 pilot didn't get a hold of one but they were specifically meant for the P39 mechanics. This info comes from the P39 mechanics souvenir booklet wich explains the patch and my aunt who was a P39 mechanic. There was a "comical" name for the cardboard mechanic but I can't remember what it was.

Here is a photo of the cardboard mechanic.

post-2609-1346781798.jpg

Johnny Signor
This patch was given out at the dinner ceremonies to mechanics upon graduating the P39 mechanics coarse. It was presented within a cardboard cut out of a comical looking mechanic. A cardboard cutout was placed at each place setting at the graduation dinners. These were for mechanics and not pilots. This is not to say a P39 pilot didn't get a hold of one but they were specifically meant for the P39 mechanics. This info comes from the P39 mechanics souvenir booklet wich explains the patch and my aunt who was a P39 mechanic. There was a "comical" name for the cardboard mechanic but I can't remember what it was.

Here is a photo of the cardboard mechanic.

post-2609-1346781798.jpg

Thanks for the information about this one, I kind of thought the info i had found wasn't correct, just went by what was psted on that site, two looks at something are always better than one !

Johnny

Any significance to the two patches shown face in opposite directions?

It's the same patch, just turned 180 degrees. Note the white stripe on the edge of the prop hub.

Cobrahistorian

I've got uniforms from two different pilots that flew Airacobras operationally. One with the 22nd FS in the Caribbean and one ID'd to a Silver Star recipient that flew P-400s in New Guinea after evacuating from Java. The horrible thing about the P-39 is that the prototype outperformed just about anything we had at the time and had significant design potential for the future. Someone in the AAF decided that eliminating the supercharger would "save weight" and as a result the Airacobra was pretty much neutered.

"Don't give me a P-39

With an engine that's mounted behind

It'll tumble and roll

And dig a big hole

Don't give me a P-39"

I'll get those handout pics up tonight.

Jon