Help on World War II uniforms

coolcav20

Thanks again guys.

Sabrejet- For airborne units when was the m42 uniform also used in Italy and Sicily?

And what uniform would have been worn/seen more during the Normandy Invasion, infantry wise, the M1941 or M43. Thanks again and great pics Matt!

The 82nd jumped over Sicily in M1942 jump-suits. It wasn't until the 101st and 82nd were withdrawn from the line post D-Day that they began to be gradually re-equipped with the new M43 combat uniform and buckle boots. The '43 trouser shells lacked the big cargo pockets of the '42 jump-pants so these were made up from salvaged shelter-half canvas and added at unit level. This was then the standard airborne uniform for the rest of the war...Operation Market Garden and Operation Varsity.

Thanks for the help Sabrejet.

And Patches, thanks for the research, I knew the 6th Army was in the Pacific Theater so I wasnt quite sure why someone would wear a field jacket.

So about tanker jackets, they were issued to armored personnel, but infantryman and the like also wanted them so some were able to get their hands on one. Is this right?

Cobrahistorian
Thanks for the help Sabrejet.

And Patches, thanks for the research, I knew the 6th Army was in the Pacific Theater so I wasnt quite sure why someone would wear a field jacket.

So about tanker jackets, they were issued to armored personnel, but infantryman and the like also wanted them so some were able to get their hands on one. Is this right?

Exactly. The Tanker Jacket was a highly desirable item and is only moreso nowadays on the collector market.

Strictly speaking, tanker jackets, ( Jacket, Winter, Combat) were general issue in the Armored Forces, along with matching bib 'n' brace trousers and a matching hood. The jacket was stylish, comfortable and much warmer than the '41 FJ so they were coveted items! Not surprisingly, officers often got their hands on them! Commanders like Generals Patton and Bradley wore them often in the field. Today, they are considered scarce and are highly collectable...and therefore relatively expensive, especially good ones in wearable sizes!

One final question, what uniform did U.S. soldiers wear during the Italian and North African campaign. Im guessing the M-1941 jacket but I was reading a book I found at the library (I can't remember the name, but it had mostly photographs from WWII) and most pictures from those campaigns showed soldiers wearing a thinner combat shirt. What is this? I'll try and find a picture.

That's the standard uniform worn under any of those field jackets, an olive-brown wool shirt (2 chest pockets) and wool trousers (shirt tucked in) with trouser belt and combat boots and leggings. If no combat web gear and helmet are worn, the flat garrison cap was worn (generally speaking). Whenever I display a jacket I put a wool shirt underneath.

post-32676-1346973230.jpg

Thanks! The shirts with the word "Special" on the tag have an inner flap behind the buttons called the 'gas flap', here's a better photo. Officer's shirts often have added shoulder straps and the color shade varied widely between shirts.

post-32676-1346974713.jpg

The wool field trousers (same as the ones worn in garrison with the dress uniform) are pretty plain and worn with an olive-drab web belt with black square buckle while officers usually wore a brass buckle just like the modern Class A one.

post-32676-1346974867.jpg

The wool field trousers (same as the ones worn in garrison with the dress uniform) are pretty plain and worn with an olive-drab web belt with black square buckle while officers usually wore a brass buckle just like the modern Class A one.

Are these the pants worn with the M-1941 Field Jacket or were there different pants worn over these?

Another basic question. Would it be safe to say that most divisions in the ETO wore the shoulder patch on their field jackets. If not, where there any units that decided not to wear the patch or did some soldiers individually take it off or choose not to wear it. Also how common were rank chevrons on field jackets. Thanks! (sorry for the dumb questions)

One final question, what uniform did U.S. soldiers wear during the Italian and North African campaign. Im guessing the M-1941 jacket but I was reading a book I found at the library (I can't remember the name, but it had mostly photographs from WWII) and most pictures from those campaigns showed soldiers wearing a thinner combat shirt. What is this? I'll try and find a picture.

Most would have worn the M41 or the winter combat jacket(tanker) in Italy(when colder) and some even had the Artic jacket which looked a lot like the M41 but was longer and had a heavier blanket lining until the issue of the M43 replaced a lot of the other jackets.I have even seen pictures of men in the 34th Division wearing some of the reversible parkas with liner,the trench coat style.But most commonly seen jacket in use by far was the 41 field jacket.

Another basic question. Would it be safe to say that most divisions in the ETO wore the shoulder patch on their field jackets. If not, where there any units that decided not to wear the patch or did some soldiers individually take it off or choose not to wear it. Also how common were rank chevrons on field jackets. Thanks! (sorry for the dumb questions)

I have spoken to veterans and had mixed answers.Some stated when wearing patches in england they were told to remove them when moving from place to place for security reasons,Same before the invasion.You will see units like the 1st Infantry,29th,4th,30th and Armored divisions wearing patches but Im not sure it was widely done as I dont know what standard operating procedures were concerning the wear of insignias by each division.Again security concerns could have been a concern.When looking at period photos you will see patches worn in a lot of the more famous published pictures.When I have looked at vets photo albums often you dont see a lot of patches worn at given times.I recall reading a book on the First Special Service Force.THere was an order issued that any soldier capturing a member of the Black Devils wearing the red spear head patch would be rewarded.THe germans knew they were operating in the area but had no real information about the unit.Again you see pictures of them wearing patches in Italy but not every soldier is wearing them.

I think NCOs were more apt to have chevrons on their sleeves than lower ranks. Either type (rayon or wool) is acceptable. Officers sometimes wore rank pins on the shoulder straps of the M-41, or just wore their rank on the right collar (as worn) and their branch insignia (infantry, artillery, etc.) on the left as the field jacket was usually worn open-collar. Watch some of the wartime movies and documentaries to get an idea of what they looked like.

What about patches on the right shoulder. Is it the same rule as now with it being a combat patc or was it different. Also was this common on field jackets or only dress jackets. Thanks, Nickh

Seems like combat patches on the right shoulder didn't see widespread use until after the shooting was over in 1945. There would have been authorized for field jackets, dress uniforms, and wool shirts.

• 2 years later...

A note on name tapes in WWII. Someone replied that they didn't use name tapes in WWII. Not exactly correct. Check out Mark Bando's book, "101st Airborne, the Screaming Eagles At Normandy" and you will find 101st paratroopers prior to D day with white name tapes in some of the original pictures.

Welcome to the WWII side lol. Well during wwii there were no nametapes they were not used until korea. And with wwii price range it all really depends on the condition and the patch/patches. Are you looking for field or Ike Jackets? Ike are dress uniforms. In the begining of the war/pre wwii they used 4 pocket jackets. And then later they switched to the more common 'Ike" Jackets. Which were 2 pockets. Ill get some pics in a few.

Ryan

Check out Mark Bando's book "Screaming Eagles at Normandy" There are original pictures of 101st paratroopers in England and France with white name tapes on their "42" unreenforced uniforms.