Help on World War II uniforms

coolcav20

Okay so I mainly collect modern era combat uniforms and gear but lately I've been looking to add some World War 2 army combat uniforms to my collection. I dont know that much about these so if anyone could help me by answering these questions. First, what types of combat uniforms were used at what periods during the war, I know there were a few different ones (m1941, m43, etc.) and also armored and airborne uniforms. And what would a "fully patched" wwii jacket be. I know things have changed alot from the BDU/DCU uniforms that I normally buy up, so if anyone has pictures and good examples of fully patched jackets that would be appreciated. And also, were name tapes used back then or did that not start until later? Any help would be much appreciated. Nick

Red Ball Express
Okay so I mainly collect modern era combat uniforms and gear but lately I've been looking to add some World War 2 army combat uniforms to my collection. I dont know that much about these so if anyone could help me by answering these questions. First, what types of combat uniforms were used at what periods during the war, I know there were a few different ones (m1941, m43, etc.) and also armored and airborne uniforms. And what would a "fully patched" wwii jacket be. I know things have changed alot from the BDU/DCU uniforms that I normally buy up, so if anyone has pictures and good examples of fully patched jackets that would be appreciated. And also, were name tapes used back then or did that not start until later? Any help would be much appreciated. Nick

Welcome to the WWII side lol. Well during wwii there were no nametapes they were not used until korea. And with wwii price range it all really depends on the condition and the patch/patches. Are you looking for field or Ike Jackets? Ike are dress uniforms. In the begining of the war/pre wwii they used 4 pocket jackets. And then later they switched to the more common 'Ike" Jackets. Which were 2 pockets. Ill get some pics in a few.

Ryan

Red Ball Express

Here are some examples. The Jacket with the Air Corps patch is an April 1945 dated 4 pocket dress jacket. The Jacket with the pants is a 1945 dated officers dress uniform. I have some pics of an "Ike Jacket" and also a m43 jacket but i cant find them.

Thanks

Ryan

post-56651-1346713446.jpg

post-56651-1346713453.jpg

Red Ball Express

And then for field in early war they used the m1941 field jacket.. Then in 1943 they started issueing the m43 jacket. This is for infantry.

Thanks alot Ryan. I mainly want to collect combat unforms but thanks anyways on help with the dress uniforms! Great pics by the way!

Red Ball Express
Thanks alot Ryan. I mainly want to collect combat unforms but thanks anyways on help with the dress uniforms! Great pics by the way!

I have a mint 43 jacket with hood but with no patches. Its at my dads and im currently at my moms so i cant get you pics. I also have wool shirts and an overcoat. But also all at my dads lol.

Ryan

Get yourself a couple of good books my friend, Shelby Stanton's U.S. Army Uniforms of WWII is one, there will be others, I,m not saying this to be facetious, but the info you need can easiely be found by study of books on the subject, I know there are site to check out to online, there good too, but me I,m old fashion, so naturally I will first mention books, with books you can really let you mind wander back in time, something I feel can't be done with online sources.

Get yourself a couple of good books my friend, Shelby Stanton's U.S. Army Uniforms of WWII is one, there will be others, I,m not saying this to be facetious, but the info you need can easiely be found by study of books on the subject, I know there are site to check out to online, there good too, but me I,m old fashion, so naturally I will first mention books, with books you can really let you mind wander back in time, something I feel can't be done with online sources.

Thanks alot, will definitely look into that. I personally think Osprey books are great for reference and are filled with detailed pictures and drawings. Thanks!

Thanks alot, will definitely look into that. I personally think Osprey books are great for reference and are filled with detailed pictures and drawings. Thanks!

Ospreys are very good, but I have to say the ones on the U.S.Army in the PTO, MTO ETO ( Men at Arms ) while very good in a quick referance look see, with some interesting photos and color plates, is rife with more than a few inconsistencies, but then so will other books on any Military subject you chose to pick, thats were getting and studying multiple books on any give subject comes in, you will be able in due course to glean the info and make determinations to the correct methods and dates etc of wear and such of uniforms and equimpent and insignias, even to campaigns and battles and historical figures.

Thanks guys! I've been doing a little research on M-43 jackets and I'm still not 100% sure when these started to be used and when they replaced the M-1941 jacket. Can anyone clarify?

"Fully-patched" field jackets were relatively uncommon in combat in WW2. Perhaps just the divisional SSI? However, "garrison" jackets were rather more colourful with bookended SSIs and sometimes pocket patches too, particularly in airborne units. Paratroops also wore stencilled name-tapes, particularly during training. For combat purposes, "less" is probably "more"...if you know what I mean?

Standard combat wear for the majority of GIs for most of the war was the basic OD field jacket (M41) Even after the introduction of the M43 FJ many GIs continued to wear the M41 as there weren't enough M43s to meet demands. Armored troops, of course, had their specific combat uniform with the coveted "tanker jacket" eagerly sought by anyone who could get their hands on one! Paratroops had two uniforms...the M1942 jumpsuit and, post D-Day, the M1943 combat uniform, modified to suit their purposes. So, you have plenty of choice, depending upon which road you take. Airborne and tankers' gear will hurt your wallet the most! :o

Cobrahistorian

The M43 combat uniform first saw experimental use at Anzio in January 1944, however it wasn't issued in any great numbers until September 1944. My grandfather, a replacement Infantry Platoon leader, received his in England the first week of July 1944 just prior to his coming into the 83rd Division in Carentan and wore it through the end of the war. The M41 was more common, but by the December 1944 timeframe things had started o even out as far as M43 distribution.

As Patches stated, there are some great books out there. Find yourself a copy of the GI Collector's Guide for a good visual reference. Also, "From Doughboy to GI" is an outstanding (but pricy) resource. Windrow & Hawkins' "American GI in WWII" is another very good visual reference.

Good luck!

Jon

Look through some of the WW2 books out there to get an idea what combat uniforms were the most common. M-41s were the most common through 1944 until the M-43s were widely issued late in the war. You might find a shoulder patch and possibly rank stripes on the sleeves, but not much else in the way of patches. There was also the HBT (HerringBone Twill) combat uniforms worn in both Europe and the Pacific and they were rarely patched at all. Here's a M-41 (fully patched up for an Army Air Force mechanic)

post-32676-1346789025.jpg

M-43 unpatched

post-32676-1346789032.jpg

and an unpatched HBT jacket.

post-32676-1346789039.jpg

Thanks again guys.

Sabrejet- For airborne units when was the m42 uniform also used in Italy and Sicily?

And what uniform would have been worn/seen more during the Normandy Invasion, infantry wise, the M1941 or M43. Thanks again and great pics Matt!

I just bought my first WWII jacket. Got it off eBay. It is a M43 jacket complete with shoulder patch and tech. 5 chevrons. Looks to be in great shape. Was this a good buy, I only payed $27 for it?

Red Ball Express
I just bought my first WWII jacket. Got it off eBay. It is a M43 jacket complete with shoulder patch and tech. 5 chevrons. Looks to be in great shape. Was this a good buy, I only payed $27 for it?

Nice Buy! But usually they dont go that cheap either you got a very good deal or there is something wrong with it that you didnt see. Just a hint i have no clue until i see it lol. But if you want it complete also buy a m43 hood :thumbsup: Try posting pics if possible or the link!

Thanks

Ryan

I'd say any M-43 under $30, especially with patches, is a good deal! :thumbsup:

I think the M-41 would be much more common during D-Day. I believe the M-43 wouldn't appear in numbers on the battlefield until late in 1944. This site has some good info; http://olive-drab.com/od_soldiers_gear_m1943_jacket.php

M-43 hoods used to be around $5 and easy to find last time I looked.

Red Ball Express
Thats great to here! Cant wait to get it.

Beautiful Jacket coolcav! Love that it has the patches on it! Great start on your entrance into wwii!

Ryan

Thanks Justin. The seller started the bid at $0.01. I was first to bid and maxed it up and a few others tried to get it but I had it saved!

Good deal coolcav. That M43 with the 6th Army patch and Tech ranks I suspect was one worn in Japan, the 6th Army as you know fought in the Southwest Pacific and the Phillipines, and thus would not be wearing the M43 field jacket in a tropical enviroment, the 6th Army did go up to Japan(a temperate climate) for occupation duties and was active there from 25 September 1945 to 26 January 1946, at which time it was inactivated, inactivated in Japan itself at Kyoto.