Unknown tool, probably Signal Corps ?? WW2 ??

Laurent M.

Hi everybody, I have recently found this tool during a military fair in the UK and would like to get some opinions about what it is exactly, who use it and when? I am pretty sure I have already seen it somewhere here, at least the leather pouch but don't remember where.

I think this is a tool used by soldiers of the Signal Corps when building or maintaining telephone lines. This is a heavy/strong tool, painted in OD color, no markings at all on the wooden handle or the metal head. The leather pouch is closed by durable snaps, marked UNITED CARR on the backside. I has a M-1910 hanger on the back and a very nice US marking embossed on the front of the closing flap (old style of US letters). It was made by a company named HOTZE.

I haven't been able to find reference and/or pictures in the "academic" books that most of us have (I mean our member Ken's Doughboy to GI book or both GI collectors guides written by HP Enjames), so I need some help.

Thanks in advance, Laurent M.

post-8590-1346706381.jpg

I have found this topic in the reference part of the forum : http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=1065

Back in 2007, there were no clues about the use of this tool. And I don't think the leather pouch was used with any of the axes described in post n°1 of the 2007 thread as its shape is really specific and fits perfectly for the head of this tool.

Laurent M.

craig_pickrall

I do not think the hatchet you have shown is the correct tool for this cover. The main reason is because the size of the handle opening on the cover compared to the size of the hatchet handle. That opening is made to fit an ax with the wide reinforced handle. I do not have any new information about the correct ax for this cover. Hopefully bringing it back to active status after 5 years will get some newer members looking into the question.

Craig, just guessing here, but could it be that trying to make the hole handle size specific was to much work due to the width of the hammer head? This would have been the quickest, easiest way to make a cover?

I don't if this will help or make things worse. I have 5 different axes/hatchets. The longest one pictured here is the Camp Axe. It fits the leather cover fine, but not the canvas cover. The only hatchet that I have that fits the canvas cover is the one in the last pictures; a shingling hatchet in OD paint. The LC-1 is a Signal Corps hatchet that's worn on the linesmans tool belt LC-23-A. The claw hatchet is listed in many tool kits, but I doubt that it used a belt carrier.

MVC_005S.JPG

MVC_006S.JPG

If the camp axe is the same as a squad axe and I think it is, then the leather sheath is correct for it. The camp axe or squad axe should be a little shorter than the axe with the pioneer kit on vehicles. I found a box full of these leather sheaths in an old army surplus store. Most were in a state of dis-repair. A few were salvageable. I saved those. If anybody needs one let me know. I'm not sure how many I have left but should have about a half dozen.

Darby

I have found this topic in the reference part of the forum : http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=1065

Back in 2007, there were no clues about the use of this tool. And I don't think the leather pouch was used with any of the axes described in post n°1 of the 2007 thread as its shape is really specific and fits perfectly for the head of this tool.

Laurent M.

As regards this old thread, I'm incline to think Webcat was right, a commercial piece. Did you noticed the split rivets? Itìs a weak solution never saw one before in a military item.

There is a very, very old surplus store at an undisclosed location that has/had a case of the leather hand axe carriers in unissued/slightly corroded shape. This was within the last 5 years. I think they were selling them for $3 each. I got one just because of the price, only knowing it was older. These could be WWI / inter-war. The store was established after WWI and has operated since, but mostly just has small scraps of old gear and chinese camp stuff now.