WWII USN Silver Star group USS SAVANNAH

KASTAUFFER

I went and took a peek. Impressive group Andy.

Kurt

Thanks Kurt it is one of my favorites. Btw, the aerial shot of the Italian warship w/ the calibrated lines on it the actual weapons sighting view of the Fritz X system. It is what the operator saw while the weapon was inbound to the target. The Savannah no doubt looked the same way. You can tell the Italian ship is taking radical evasive action, but to no avail.

looks like there are more pieces of the sharpnel out there. This is from http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/discussions/...e-plaque-56578/

post-105-1346709540.jpg

Great valor grouping and other neat artifacts. The 1934 engraved "pug" medal is particularly neat. Congrats. I swear that chunk of shrapnel on the base with the 4 shells that you found on some other site looks like the face of a gargoyle or some monster facing slightly to the left, with a kewpie twist of hair sticking up. :think:

Great group Kurt! I actually have a KIA Purple Heart from a USS Savannah sailor. He apparently was in the turret that was struck by the German bomb. These are amazing pieces of history. Well done.

post-124-1346981703.jpg

post-124-1346981767.jpg

• 8 months later...
ShipsoftheSeaMuseum

Hello Kurt,

This is truly a wonderful collection. My name is Wendy Melton and I am the curator at Ships of the Sea Maritime Museum in Savannah, Georgia. As you may know this year marks the 70th anniversary since the Battle of Salerno, Italy and we are putting together an exhibit titled "Battle Voices" which will be comprised primarily of 1st hand accounts. I would love to talk to you about your collection. If you don't mind would you please contact me at [email protected]. Thank you very much and I look forward to from hearing from you.

Wendy

I wonder how seriously the Navy considered awards of the Purple Heart for severe smoke exposure??? In light of what damage it does to the body, and in light of so many people suffering severe effects of it in WW2, I find it somewhat surprising men like your Silver Star recipient did not receive one, especially with what his citation says about being overcome by it during an act that earned him the Silver Star.

Perhaps the USN decided that was opening a very broad door and was going to be impossible to regulate or decide on?

One of the requirements for a Purple Heart was that the injury must require treatment from a medical officer. There probably wasn't much that a medical officer on a ship at sea could offer for smoke exposure other than fresh air. (Also, the medical officers were busy treating men with missing limbs and other trauma, so someone with smoke inhalation was probably just set on the open deck until he recovered.) So there was most likely no formal medical treatment, no entry of treatment in any records and therefore no Purple Heart. This is just my supposition.

RustyCanteen

One of the requirements for a Purple Heart was that the injury must require treatment from a medical officer. There probably wasn't much that a medical officer on a ship at sea could offer for smoke exposure other than fresh air. (Also, the medical officers were busy treating men with missing limbs and other trauma, so someone with smoke inhalation was probably just set on the open deck until he recovered.) So there was most likely no formal medical treatment, no entry of treatment in any records and therefore no Purple Heart. This is just my supposition.

That sounds reasonable to me.

RC

• 6 months later...

This is another group to a USS Savannah survivor.

Fran Joined the Cruiser as a EM2c in Jan. 1941. He survived the "Fritz" bombing. He was appointed Ensign in Jan. 1944 and disappears from the Muster rolls.

Note that his Good Conduct Medal was found with the original paper packet. Also, his GCM is a post 1945 issue that is dated 1940. He should have received a hand engraved issue in 1940. Perhaps his first Good Conduct Medal was lost due to enemy action.

W

post-525-0-89650800-1387500966.jpg

• 3 months later...

Fellas,

If you guys are EVER of the thought of parting with these items... PLEASE contact the Ships of The Sea Museum in Savannah, Georgia. We would LOVE to have these in our collection. We actually host U.S.S. Savannah, CL-42 veterans quite regularly.

I know myself and our curator would LOVE to have these as many of our original fragments of the Fritz X we use to own and some other items from the Savannah donated to us by the Savannah's veterans at the museum were sold off by a former curator unfortunately. :(

Anyways.. just a heads up and thought if you guys ever have thoughts of parting with them.

Regards,

FRISCAN

Fellas,

If you guys are EVER of the thought of parting with these items... PLEASE contact the Ships of The Sea Museum in Savannah, Georgia. We would LOVE to have these in our collection. We actually host U.S.S. Savannah, CL-42 veterans quite regularly.

I know myself and our curator would LOVE to have these as many of our original fragments of the Fritz X we use to own and some other items from the Savannah donated to us by the Savannah's veterans at the museum were sold off by a former curator unfortunately. :(

Anyways.. just a heads up and thought if you guys ever have thoughts of parting with them.

Regards,

FRISCAN

Many of the collectors here are jaded by things like this when it comes to museum donations. I doubt you will have many takers.....

Oh I don't doubt it Kadet. I was just putting it out there in the event anyone thought of parting with artifacts like these.

Heck, I'd gladly buy them if it were the case.

Regards,
FRISCAN

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...