WW2 British-Made Equipment

med-dept

• 1 month later...

You need to find one of the belts that uses the British style belt buckle. Those are, in my opinion, the coolest of all BM items.

But be warned, in the last few years a great many items have suddenly been spuriously stamped as British Made in order to fetch higher prices. There is a master list of such items tarnsferred to the US Army in WW2 (in large ledgers burried deep in the British Archives) and I suspect one day when it is found there will be some very surprised collectors finding out that some of their prized items were never made.

Ben, Excellent study! It provided an excellent test of which is which. Usually, I am satisfied to have a single piece of equipment, but always pleased to have an example of the British Made specimen as well. Thank you for showing. Jack Angolia

Something that makes me giggle is the fact that I have in my collection;

- A US made, British pattern machete for use by British troops,

and

- A British made, US pattern machete and cover for use by US troops.

One has to wonder why both the US and British manufacturers just didn't make their macheties for their own respective troops! :lol:

A

What an excellent collection of Britsih made U.S. gear! The only thing I can contribute are these two British made U.S. Officer's web trouser belts. Both were made by the same manufacturer, Size 32. The top belt is dated 1943 & the bottom belt is dated 1944. They are both unissued, still folded and tied from the factory.

Rob

post-168-0-06188400-1352400556.jpg

Thanks for your comments and input! Jon, when (or rather, if) I manage to find the Build-Up Priority List "B" for the POM research, I plan to return to the UK National Archives to see if I can locate the records that you mention regarding the reverse-lend lease system.

Regards,

Ben.

• 3 months later...

I was recently able to add a few new items of British-Made equipment to my collection.

First up is this unissued Enlisted Man's Garrison Cap, produced by L. Silberston & Sons Ltd:

50df776419343.jpg

50df7768e3f65.jpg

I am also pleased to inform you all that an Article I wrote for the French "Militaria" magazine has now been printed. It has been split into two parts, and you can order copies here > http://militaria.histoireetcollections.com/en/publication/2992/militaria-330-january-2013.html

article_29636_1356346859.jpg

The concluding part will be printed in March's edition.

Thanks,

Ben.

• 2 weeks later...

The buttons may not be wartime. (although they very easily could be). For a while between the wars it was 'the trendy thing" to have insignia made by a British company in the US Army. And as the market for military metal insignia was small in those years of course the British liked to sell to anyone. So there's a lot of metal insignia "made by British companies" that was purchased long before the war, and thus technically would not be reverse lend lease. \

I suppose a true snob would but Tiffany made insignia, but someone with less money might go for items from England. Who can explain trends.

but do be careful as there are many items stamped with a spurious broad arrow in an attempt to wring money out of unsuspecting collectors.

The buttons may not be wartime. (although they very easily could be). For a while between the wars it was 'the trendy thing" to have insignia made by a British company in the US Army. And as the market for military metal insignia was small in those years of course the British liked to sell to anyone. So there's a lot of metal insignia "made by British companies" that was purchased long before the war, and thus technically would not be reverse lend lease. \

I suppose a true snob would but Tiffany made insignia, but someone with less money might go for items from England. Who can explain trends.

but do be careful as there are many items stamped with a spurious broad arrow in an attempt to wring money out of unsuspecting collectors.

Thanks for your input, Jon. I think you're right about the buttons - they are almost certainly pre-1942, since they are constructed of the same bronze material as is commonly seen on early Overcoats.

Regards,

Ben.

Ben;

I have the British Made examples of the U.S. cartridge belt and the pistol belt made with British-style buckles. Would you like pictures to add to your files? I collected Brit Made US web gear for several years, but have sold most of it. However, I kept a couple of interesting items, including these two belts. Regards, John

ben, super web gear. here accross the pond it does not come up often. i have several items in my cllection however, missing several----

Thanks for your kind words, Costa!

John, I'd certainly appreciate photographs of the Cartridge Belt with the British '37 pattern buckle if possible. Perhaps you could add them to this thread for posterity and completeness?

Kind regards,

Ben.

KimGuilliams

Don't know if this belongs here, but just bought this item and I really like it.

It's a blood pressure meter, the hospital model.

dscn1157au.jpg

dscn1158a.jpg

dscn1159r.jpg

dscn1160j.jpg

With kind regards,

Kim

Kim,

I'm afraid that what you have there is not an item of British-Made equipment for the US troops. It is simply something that a rather unscrupulous vendor has added some spurious markings to in order to make it more appealing and command a higher price. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's not a US Medical Department sphygmomanometer, either!

Thanks,

Ben.

KimGuilliams

You win some, you lose some. At least I know a little bit more about it now. Do you perhaps have a picture of the correct model?

It was a gift for my wife whom is a nurse. She's more into the medical stuff, i'm just buying it for her :) It's not really my cup of tea.

At least I did not payed too much for it and it still looks nice in the collection. At least we are sure it's brittisch made.

With kind regards,

Kim

Hi Kim,

Yes, I will prepare some photographs of the numerous WW2 Medical Department sphygmomanometers for you tomorrow, and send through PM.

Regards,

Ben.