M6 Repros- Here We Go!

SKIPH

Hey Gang!- Sorry! I have been out of the net for over a week, computer issues. Jon Moore and I had been corresponding over the M6s, very informative. As far as M6 leather color my vary substantially, plain old leather tan, to a brown, then russet. Several of which I got right out of the boxes. Not knowing much about leather processing I'd say a lot of the color is just what shade the cow's skin was. Good to be back! SKIP

Hey Gang! Both Jon Moore and myself have mentioned we'd been corresponding. Jon sent me one of his M6s, an SBL. Guys, I'm here to tell you, his work is phenominal. The staples, stitching, the details. I honestly would not know it from an original. Unless I had one in hand to compare. Now this leads to my question. Can anyone post a detailed photo of an original SBL in good to mint condition? I don't own one, and can't find any pics. I don't have photo capability yet, and can't take pictures. Appreciate any assistance. Thanks Skip

Jon- Thanks for posting the pic. Got a good view of the stamp to compare, sure is close. SKIP

I like also how the Ebay SBL has at some time been modified to change the position of the retaining strap: M1918 knife?

The added wear/darkening seems to indicate that a knife with a bigger crossguard to the M3 spent some time in the scabbard

Most of the modified ones i saw had the strap moved higher up not lower down - but as long as it lined up with one of the finger holes in the M1918 then it would do the job I suppose!

Saddler,

Almost all the modified scabbards (not sure why so many SBL's and LF&C's) came/are coming from Norway. Besides the moved retaining strap they appeared to have applied a leather conditioner to most of the scabbards. Almost all of them have the characteristic dark finish. That said, this one might have been with an M1918 knife as it does not appear to have the normal 45 degree angle marks above the staples like an M3 guard would make. It also appears to have a buldge in the staple area and a sharp drop or fold caused by inserting an M1918 with a guard flange. It is too bad that he does not show the top of the scabbard closely because if it housed a M1918 you can normally see gouge marks where the skull crusher has dug in at one time or another. Skip if you still need some shots of scabbards I can send some if you PM me with your address.

Regards,

CC

I like also how the Ebay SBL has at some time been modified to change the position of the retaining strap: M1918 knife?

The added wear/darkening seems to indicate that a knife with a bigger crossguard to the M3 spent some time in the scabbard

Most of the modified ones i saw had the strap moved higher up not lower down - but as long as it lined up with one of the finger holes in the M1918 then it would do the job I suppose!

• 2 months later...

Hi & Happy Christmas to all...

OK - I have been made aware of a listing on Ebay that is of a genuine M3 Kinfolks knife, "paired" with an M6 MILSCO scabbard....

The MILSCO M6 is one of mine!!

Check out Ebay #230901247123 - the main points to note are:

the type of rivets I use for the throat, plates & M1910 hook areas of the scabbard are easy to see

the lower one-piece eyelet also looks like one that I have only been using for a few weeks

uneven colouration/aging - looks like someone has dipped the whole thing in Neatsfoot Oil or some such & polished the retaining strap press-stud !!

zero wear/aging to the metal fittings - apart from that above on the strap

I've contacted the seller to inform him that it's a repro M6

I've updated my own Ebay M6 listing to link to the copy

I'll eventually later in the day update my own website too

I'm giving the seller the benefit of the doubt as I did not deal with him directly. We'll see how he responds

An interesting exercise as even with the low numbers of M6's that I've produced it does show that some folk WILL try to pass them off in due course as original. It's also interesting to see the results of their attempts at aging one!!

Anyway - hope this info prevents someone being duped into parting with a large sum for a mismatched set

Jon-Merry Christmas! From all the gang on the site. I looked at that M3, and scabbard. It was excellent, and thought it was an original do to the lettering and numbers. Did think it was a little strange that there was no wear on the rivets, but it passed. Your work is really great. Glad you recognized it was your work of art. THX SKIP

Hi Skip - someone is up early

The rivets I use are the approx correct size - but the genuine WW2 ones were more of a domed head profile - as you'll see from the one I sent you mine are more of a "cheese head" type

There was no wear on ANY of the metalwork apart from the strap press-stud

Will have to see what the seller has to say about it & what they do

ATB

Jon

Jon- The time is 0903 at my house. What are you 5, or 6 hours ahead? I haven't worked in ZULU time for 21 years. This site I believe runs on Pacific time. Good to hear from you. My grand kids have been up since around 0330. SKIP

They were wired for Christmas! Two more will be here in a couple of hours. Had my 10 year old studying M3s yesterday. Says his other grandfather has a blade-dated. He'll let me know maker. Also said had leather scabbard, but not M6. We'll see. SKIP

They were wired for Christmas! Two more will be here in a couple of hours. Had my 10 year old studying M3s yesterday. Says his other grandfather has a blade-dated. He'll let me know maker. Also said had leather scabbard, but not M6. We'll see. SKIP

Sounds like his 2 grand-dads best meet up for a glass of something & compare notes!

Have a good day with them all - keep us posted on the other M3

Saddler -- I bought one of your M6s (a Moose) a few months ago, and was very pleased with the quality.

As you say, there are differences. But it displays well, and is head and shoulders above any other I've seen on the market. I'll be buying another sometime next year.

Nice job.

You might consider making leather Mark II sheaths...

Jim

Saddler -- I bought one of your M6s (a Moose) a few months ago, and was very pleased with the quality.

As you say, there are differences. But it displays well, and is head and shoulders above any other I've seen on the market. I'll be buying another sometime next year.

Nice job.

You might consider making leather Mark II sheaths...

Jim

Well ahead of you on that one

My V-42 scabbards are due for release early 2013, with the Gerber Mk.II scabbards shortly after that...