Picked Up Three Different Sets of WWII Wings Please Help With ID, Authentication, and Value

19delta-uav

Ok,

I picked these up from a friend of mine who is clearing out a 30 plus year collection of wings. Many of these have been in his collection for years, however they did not come cheap to me so I wanted to make sure what I got was good. Also, I will probably be selling some of these on the forum, so I would like to get an idea of what the value might be. Here they are....

post-3881-1346593252.jpg

post-3881-1346593259.jpg

back says "ANGUS & COOTE

STG. SIL."

The pair shows more patina in person than in the picture... He said these were taken off a completely moth eaten jacket, this the buttons and the lining was all that was left.

post-3881-1346593420.jpg

post-3881-1346593430.jpg

Ok,

I picked these up from a friend of mine who is clearing out a 30 plus year collection of wings. Many of these have been in his collection for years, however they did not come cheap to me so I wanted to make sure what I got was good. Also, I will probably be selling some of these on the forum, so I would like to get an idea of what the value might be. Here they are....

:think: Well, the first one appears to be okay but the bottom two are copies.

:think: Well, the first one appears to be okay but the bottom two are copies.

Sadly, I am not even sure about the first one. :thumbdown: Better photos would help, that is for sure. Try taking some pictures in sunlight.

Just an FYI, about 30 years ago, the golden age of wing faking was just getting up steam--so a "30 year old collection" would NOT be immune from fakes.

Sadly, there are now "old" repros in the system which have acquired their own patina which further muddies the waters for we collectors. Allegedly original Aussie-made Angus & Coote wings frequently crop up on eBay. Recently a seller was offering about five different "A&C" wings for sale. You'd be fortunate to find just one....but five simultaneously?! :o So...when it comes to A&C wings...buyer beware!

Look here....# 370644527560

Thank you guys for this information. I greatly appreciate it. He said he stands by all his wings for originality, so I'm going to give him a call and see what he has to say for a return policy. I'm a little disappointed, that these aren't what I thought, but thats why I love this forum. It has saved me a lot of money in the past, and will continue to in the future.

A bit late on this but it appears you have been given some good infomation! I think #1 stands out due to casting flaws, # 3 if you search the forum this will provide you info on reproductions. As for #2 that look like a meyer restrike although the photo is a bit fuzzzy to my eyes.

Additionally patricks point about the golden age is spot on... please beaware that there are very very well made Aussie wings being produced... specifically the S-L-G wings.

Cheers

John

Thanks for the great information guys. I called the seller, and he is going to honor his guarante. He's still maintaining that they're all real, and citing perigee where they came from, and I believe he is not trying to deceive, but it's all the best that I just send them back as I clearly know little about wings. Does anyone have anymore info as to why these are bad, or would like to do a run-down by the numbers so that I can send these back with proof?

Thanks for the great information guys. I called the seller, and he is going to honor his guarante. He's still maintaining that they're all real, and citing perigee where they came from, and I believe he is not trying to deceive, but it's all the best that I just send them back as I clearly know little about wings. Does anyone have anymore info as to why these are bad, or would like to do a run-down by the numbers so that I can send these back with proof?

Better pictures would help.

BUT based on what I can see:

1) You can see what look to be casting flaws on the back part of the shield. Also, some questionable areas where the hinge and catch are attached. Looks like a cast badge.

2) A&C wings, as stated before, have been faked recently. The "vintage" ones have a die flaw that the fakes don't. Also, the recent fake ones are almost too crisp and clean. Its hard to know for sure without handling the wing but this one doesn't seem to have the die flaw and seems too good. Looks like one of the repops.

3) The nurse wing looks like one of the more common fake NS Meyer wings. The back looks wrong. Again, this is one that is hard to know for sure without handling or with out better photos. Looks like one of the NS Meyer family of restrikes.

These are just my opinion, but I am not so sure your friend did you any favors.

As Promised, Here are some updated and clearer shots of the wings. PLease let me know what you think based on the new photos. If they still prove to be no good, I will be meeting with him tomorrow to get my money back. but if they're ok, I would like to keep them. I really apprecitate your help! Tim