Is this what I think it is? Experimental model 5?

Dr_rambow

So I saw a local auction house listing while poking around on the online auction catalogs, saw something that sounded promising ( it was a model tank if you MUST know... don't judge me :) ). It didn't have an image, but since the auction house was only 10 minuets away I figured I'd stop in and check it out in person. What I was hoping to be a neat "handmade" (according to the listing) trench art piece, was a modern decorator piece, which wasn't even a tank, but a jeep!

Disappointed, I looked around the building at the other offerings when I saw this on a shelf:

Wouldyoulookatthat.jpg

Not only a painted helmet, but what appeared to be an experimental model 5!

It looked like it had all of the cork finish present under the paint. The only sad part was that it was missing the main part of the liner. I wish I had brought my camera to take my own pictures of it. Lots of divisions painted on it, I'm curious why that would be. Also, are the small varieties in the division symbols specific to regiments? I don't know those well.

Anyway, I'll take a stab at it when it goes up for sale. You really never know what you are going to run into!

One thing I forgot to mention is that it does have the chin strap, which was cloth or canvass (not leather if I remember correctly). I'm not 100% familiar with these to know what exactly is missing, but there is some stuff still present. God I wish I took my camera.

Indeed I am hopeful that I'm the only one who knows what it is. I'm hoping some dope doesn't think it's some valuable TR helmet. The Starting bid is low, so maybe I'll get lucky! I'm still waiting to hear back on the 29th division lid, so this has me excited in the mean time.

You guys are getting me really excited, lol. I'm not the kind of guy who gets a shot a buying this kind of stuff, I beginning to think that someone with a lot more resources is going to snatch it out from under me on auction day!

I'm going to try to get back over there to get some more information/pictures if I can, but worst case scenario I have to wait patiently for the day to come.

Hey at the very least you will have had the experience of handling one of these rare birds and you have a chance to take some good pics too!....you dont see these everyday and painted up like that makes it all the more special, that badboy belongs on the cover of a US Experimental helmet book!!!.....mike

An experience it was! I'm glad I spent the time taking pictures of it, since I was not able to bring it home for myself. I didn't let it go for cheap and I could have kept going, but it was at a price that I knew I would have had to sell it. Hopefully I bid high enough to keep it out of dealer's hands.

I'd love to see it again some day, but for now, the pictures should hold me over :)

P9050113.jpg

P9050105.jpg

P9050107.jpg

P9050106.jpg

P9050101.jpg

It was wild, I was the only one in the crowd bidding on it. There were a few absentees that were quickly brushed aside, but someone left a giant gorilla of a bid that I couldn't get past. People came up to me after it was over and asked what made it so special. They were confused why I would go so high on a piece appraised at $50!!!

It was a lot of fun, though I wanted to storm out and throws a fit after I didn't get it. I took it far enough to know that someone paid a fair price for it.

Hope you enjoy the pictures! I have a few other close up shots of little things if anyone wants to see those.

How high did it go......hammer price?

Oops, I answered that in the other thread but forgot to include it here. A little lower than some of the numbers I've heard tossed out, but still not cheap. I bid it up to $1300 but couldn't bring myself to go any higher because at that price I knew I couldn't keep it. I had the money to go further, but the thought of not keeping it was discouraging. It was an absentee bid that I was up against, so it's not like I could look the guy in the eye and see how badly I was wearing him down.