Need Help to ID a Numbered Mexican Border Service Campaign Medal? Post it here!

jjdevi1

stratasfan
Message added by stratasfan,

Army Mexican Border Service medals are traceable within this number range: #1 to #34012

IMG_1618_1.jpgIMG_1619_1.jpg

(Photos courtesy of Josh B.)

All,

I'm trying to ID a Mexican borderr service medal with rim # 11769 Does anyone have a list? I think the cutoff was around 15000 or so, but my memory could be failing on that too! LOL Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

John

Would like any information on Mexican Border Medal and ribbon bar, has number 2813 stamped on rim. Have original presentation box, The Whitehead & Hoag Co., Newark, NJ. Who was it awarded to, and value of medal???

MBSM #2813 was issued to Cook Max Mohar, Co. E, 22nd Infantry, Ft. Niagara, NY. Value could vary depending on condition, but assuming the box and medal are in good shape with the original ribbon and brooch, $150 would be in the ballpark.

MBSM #2813 was issued to Cook Max Mohar, Co. E, 22nd Infantry, Ft. Niagara, NY. Value could vary depending on condition, but assuming the box and medal are in good shape with the original ribbon and brooch, $150 would be in the ballpark.

Thank you for the information. I dont know where this medal came from as it was with a bunch of small stuff that I got in a box. There were a couple sets of dogtags with it, but they were a Robert Kelly and a Harry Kelly. Robert was from Jamaica, NY, however. Harry was from the Alburtis, PA area. I dont think they were related, as one listed religion as Catholic and the other was Protestant. Anyway, I guess I will need to take pics of everything and post them. I will probably offer the medal for sale.

• 4 months later...
John C. Calhoun

Can someone with a Mexican Border roll please look up the individuals who correspond with the following medal numbers when they have time?

27574 (should be Herbert E. Brown from a grouping I obtained, but I'd like to verify)

39592 (not sure who this belonged to, but i got it in the box, with the ribbon and lapel pin)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dan

#27574 was issued to Brown - PFC "A" Co. 2nd Mass.

The other one is too high (last # is 34012)

Bill

He shows up as a Cpl with "A" Co. 104th Infantry (I think the unit was from Adams MA.) His service # was 71033

Bill

• 2 months later...
Doughboy1918

I just picked up a Mexican Border Service Medal # 6691 (or is it #1699?) How do you know how to read it? Anyway I'd like to know more about it's recipient if possible. Is there an online source for this info?

Read it with the top of the top of the numbers towards the front of the planchet. Also, there should be a small serif on the 1 which will help show which side is up. Recipient records aren't online. The were published by Planchet Press in 1996 but I believe the roster is now out of print.

Medal # 6691 traces to Rudolph Gefvert of Philadelphia.

Medal # 1699 traces to Sidney A. Cook, who at the time of issue was serving as a 1st Lt. with Co. H of the 36th Infantry in Cambridge.

• 5 months later...
Read it with the top of the top of the numbers towards the front of the planchet. Also, there should be a small serif on the 1 which will help show which side is up. Recipient records aren't online. The were published by Planchet Press in 1996 but I believe the roster is now out of print.

Medal # 6691 traces to Rudolph Gefvert of Philadelphia.

Medal # 1699 traces to Sidney A. Cook, who at the time of issue was serving as a 1st Lt. with Co. H of the 36th Infantry in Cambridge.

Where did you find this info? Just curious as I'm researching the history of the 36th Infantry - thanks

Where did you find this info? Just curious as I'm researching the history of the 36th Infantry - thanks

It came from "Mexican Border Service Medal Issue Records" compiled and edited (from records in the National Archives) by JoAnn Williams and Robert H. Reynolds, published in 1996 by Planchet Press. This two volume set of records has been out of print since the death of Al Gleim (owner of Plancht Press) in 1997.

It came from "Mexican Border Service Medal Issue Records" compiled and edited (from records in the National Archives) by JoAnn Williams and Robert H. Reynolds, published in 1996 by Planchet Press. This two volume set of records has been out of print since the death of Al Gleim (owner of Plancht Press) in 1997.

Wow guess that'll be an interesting set to try & find! The records we have are very vaguwas to what the 36th did in its first few years after it beginnings in 1916

Wow guess that'll be an interesting set to try & find! The records we have are very vaguwas to what the 36th did in its first few years after it beginnings in 1916

Be aware that the unit given in the medal roll (in this case, medal # 1699 to Sidney A. Cook, 1st Lt., Co. H, 36th Infantry) is the unit that the recipient was in at the time that the medal was ISSUED. Often times this is completely different from the unit he was in when he EARNED the medal, especially with so many officers being transferred among unit during WWI. This medal wasn't issued until late 1919, more than three years after Cook earned the medal. Most likely he was not with the 36th Infantry when he earned the medal.

• 2 weeks later...
Be aware that the unit given in the medal roll (in this case, medal # 1699 to Sidney A. Cook, 1st Lt., Co. H, 36th Infantry) is the unit that the recipient was in at the time that the medal was ISSUED. Often times this is completely different from the unit he was in when he EARNED the medal, especially with so many officers being transferred among unit during WWI. This medal wasn't issued until late 1919, more than three years after Cook earned the medal. Most likely he was not with the 36th Infantry when he earned the medal.

Well, the 36th started off in Brownsville, Texas in 1916 & it is known that they were used on the U.S./Mexican Border soon after - the regiment never deployed to France for WW1 & was inactivated on 31 JAN 1919 at Fort Jay, NY

Thanks again

Chris

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 7 months later...
Doomula5000

Just bought this at an antique store in NorCal and the price was so good I couldn't let it go. Can somebody help find who the owner was? The serial number is 27,429. Any info would be great. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I just obtained a Mexican Border Medal and it is numbered 8593. Can someone please help me out and see if this one is traceable, and if so, provide a name? Thank you in advance.

Chris