WWII US NAVY FLIGHT JACKETS M-422, M-422A , M-421A , M-445A , AN-J-3A , AN-6552

KASTAUFFER

Love the patina on this leather Baze, it reminds me of the B-G Inc. 55J14 I had a few years ago (and wish I had back).

I also had a Pritzker 55J14 a while back which had the same patina, it was a shade too small though so I sold it. I had been looking for a while for one with the same patina that would fit me.

I got my Dad's flight jacket from his WW2 days. It doesn't have his name on it, but it does say USN & on the back of it, it says "S256". Any idea what that stands for? I'm also looking to try & find out what it is worth & if it's something someone would put insurance on.

Thanks,

Marla

I got my Dad's flight jacket from his WW2 days. It doesn't have his name on it, but it does say USN & on the back of it, it says "S256". Any idea what that stands for? I'm also looking to try & find out what it is worth & if it's something someone would put insurance on.

Thanks,

Marla

Marla, you should post pictures of the jacket, otherwise it is hard to give a value on an item :)

• 4 weeks later...

I acquired what I believe to be an M422A jacke, but there is no tag. I will try to attach photos. I believe the lining and the waistband have been redone. I would be curious if anyone has any insight as to the manufacurer and date of the jacket. The leather and talon zipper are in good shape, USN is stenciled under the collar, but barely visible. Pockets are asymetrical. Name patch says "w. Cullenward" Sorry for the quality of pics I can take more if so required. thankspost-147905-0-31572200-1386697310.jpg

I checked and there is no tag in either pocket. I am guessing that it is a size 36 or 38. Curious about what you think its value might be

• 1 month later...
ARVNcollector

Gentlemen,

I really enjoyed your posts. I've never seen so many nice flight jackets in one setting with lots of infos and history. THANK YOU! I'm new to USMF and collecting. I would greatly appreciate any tip or guidelines as to pricing on these jackets. I bought Warman's WW2 collectibles book (2nd ed.), but the prices seem off compare to what is on online/ebay nowadays (especially for M445a and M444 jackets). Many thanks in advance.

Gentlemen,

I really enjoyed your posts. I've never seen so many nice flight jackets in one setting with lots of infos and history. THANK YOU! I'm new to USMF and collecting. I would greatly appreciate any tip or guidelines as to pricing on these jackets. I bought Warman's WW2 collectibles book (2nd ed.), but the prices seem off compare to what is on online/ebay nowadays (especially for M445a and M444 jackets). Many thanks in advance.

If you want to find out everything about flight jackets, join www.vintageleatherjackets.org forums. The members are the most knowledgeable in the business.

• 1 month later...
Maverickson

The previous jacket is not an H&L Block but an Ed Church.

Pictures of VF-4 roster with Shanahan listed and picture of VF-4 pilots:

Shanahan2_zpsab78efe4.jpg

Hi Tom,

Although obvious modified with that quilted lining, that VF-4 group photograph I came up with leaves little doubt as to your fine jacket's authenticity. What surprised me most about it was the fact that just following the War VF-4 would have used such a smaller sized squadron patch.

Love those vintage USN jackets & keep up the good work!

Cheers, Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Fantastic thread and always fun to look through. It would be fantastic to see a higher resolution photo of the VF-4 squadron, many wonderful details are floating around in that picture. Flights suits, goggles, helmets and other misc. equipment. At least a half dozen have knives, look to be Westerns, and the Shark Chaser packet attached to their vests.