WWII US NAVY FLIGHT JACKETS M-422, M-422A , M-421A , M-445A , AN-J-3A , AN-6552

KASTAUFFER

I live in Europe too.  There are good folks here to sew it back. Bill Kelso in England would be a possibility.

• 4 weeks later...
Maverickson

Hi All,

See two of the most rare USN Intermediate flight jackets that were ever issued within the USN.  Both are pre War M-422 jackets made by Switlik Parachute and Equipment Co. These two jackets represent 2 of the 247 that were issued to the USN during the first quarter of 1941. 

184960915_PairOfSwitlikJacketsjpg.jpg.7b480d05a3eac1831fd378a6ea4cf9f0.jpg

The jacket seen on  right was initially received as a basket case and completely restored by me. While at it I was able to get a detailed pattern for future reproductions. This same jacket was featured in an earlier thread. While the Switlik jacket seen on the left was received unaltered and completely original.

That same jacket seen on the left belonged to a VB-135 squadron member. During WW-2 he did two combat deployments on Attu flying EMPIRE EXPRESS missions. He flew the the Ventura and his first and the Harpoon on his second.  According to the original owner's NAS Pensacola Flight Clothing Invoice which was included with the jacket, states that it was issued on July  2, 1941. 

I have a hand full of period pix of that same Switlik M-422 jacket seen being worn by the original owner while at Attu. 

608653773_PercyOnAttuWearingSwitlik.jpg.79e71b4d8836aa8c2939a72058509848.jpg

Unfortunately, the winged ID tag is missing. However, I was told by the family that it was in fact removed from the jacket and buried along with him.

Cheers, Dave

Maverickson

Hi All,

Actually, the story behind my association with that VB-135 related Switlik M-422 jacket predates it's purchase. As a number of years ago I happened upon a picture that looked to have included a naval aviator wearing a Switlik Parachute & Equipment Co. M-422 jacket.  By luck I saved that particular pic on the hunch that this same jacket seen worn (upper left) was in fact one of those elusive and seldom seen Switlik M-422 jackets.

438244252_WW--2VP-135Crew(1).jpg.ce72ac93aa0422b72ddc3eed982e8924.jpg

As it turns out this same M-422 jacket I IDed in that period pic was fact a Switlik. In fact it was one in the same jacket, Albeit, that group pic in which I initially IDed containing the Switilik was taken early on in the War and when the owner was a LTJG. verses a LT. as seen in my later pix that I received with the jacket.  

1408240916_SWITLIKM-422.jpg.94c6ce322e22320b469afeb7b3efdc0d.jpg

1442071581_MySwitlikM-422Worn.jpg.0efd3b814c8cd67ecf860333985ab19e.jpg

That bulge in the bulge in that left pocket was the result of it containing four morphine shots and several books of matches. As they were all still present when the jacket was received. 

Cheers, Dave

• 2 weeks later...

One of my volunteer duties is to do historical research for items donated and about to be catalogued for a museum I volunteer for.  We just received two navy flight jackets issued to a marine... a M-444 and an M-445. Can someone help me with factual info on these two jackets, such as materials used, manufacture and or issue dates, difference between the M-445 and M-445A, how to decipher contract numbers, names of manufacturers, and any discerning/interesting facts about these jackets.  Also sources would be helpful. The info I have found online is sparse at best.  Thank you in advance!

NMWW2A, you are wise to find a community. On the web info can be pretty spread out. Are you a member of the Vintage leather jacket forum as well? The questions you ask are appropriate but rather involved - pages worth. This forum has knowledgeable members who might be able to help but the VLJ forum has(or had) members who focus mainly on such detailed facts. Give that forum a try as well.

Welcome to the forum!

Dave

Thanks Dave.  I will check out VLJ.  In the meantime if anyone has any info on these jackets, it'll be of great help piecing together a picture.

Hans

• 3 months later...

This is an M-422A I recently acquired.  It's a Gordon & Ferguson. In pretty good condition.  Note the name in pen on the lining "Lt. E.A. Reed".  On a hunch that he might be a Marine aviator (no patches/artwork on the jacket), I researched the name.  Everett A. Reed joined the Navy Air reserves while working for the family in July, 1942.  He subsequently attended the Marine Aviation Training Center, NAS, Corpus Christi, TX and graduated as a Marine aviator on Christmas eve, 1944.  He went home on leave, became engaged and then joined the Marine Aviation Detachment, Naval Air Gunners School, Hollywood, FL in January, 1945.  After completing training, he was stationed at MAS El Toro, CA.  On March 23, 1945, he was injured and subsequently died of those injuries on March 21, 1945.

This is his jacket, in beautiful shape, but it comes with a sad story attached.

M-422A.4.jpg

M-422A.05.jpg

M-422A.5.jpg

M-422A.6.jpg

M-422A.7.jpg

M-422A.8.jpg

M-422A.9.jpg

M-422A.10.jpg

M-422A.11.jpg

M-422A.12.jpg

M-422A.13.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
On 4/15/2021 at 5:51 AM, Maverickson said:

Hi All,

Actually, the story behind my association with that VB-135 related Switlik M-422 jacket predates it's purchase. As a number of years ago I happened upon a picture that looked to have included a naval aviator wearing a Switlik Parachute & Equipment Co. M-422 jacket.  By luck I saved that particular pic on the hunch that this same jacket seen worn (upper left) was in fact one of those elusive and seldom seen Switlik M-422 jackets.

438244252_WW--2VP-135Crew(1).jpg.ce72ac93aa0422b72ddc3eed982e8924.jpg

As it turns out this same M-422 jacket I IDed in that period pic was fact a Switlik. In fact it was one in the same jacket, Albeit, that group pic in which I initially IDed containing the Switilik was taken early on in the War and when the owner was a LTJG. verses a LT. as seen in my later pix that I received with the jacket.  

1408240916_SWITLIKM-422.jpg.94c6ce322e22320b469afeb7b3efdc0d.jpg

1442071581_MySwitlikM-422Worn.jpg.0efd3b814c8cd67ecf860333985ab19e.jpg

That bulge in the bulge in that left pocket was the result of it containing four morphine shots and several books of matches. As they were all still present when the jacket was received. 

Cheers, Dave

Very cool!

On 8/14/2021 at 6:00 AM, tda003 said:

This is an M-422A I recently acquired.  It's a Gordon & Ferguson. In pretty good condition.  Note the name in pen on the lining "Lt. E.A. Reed".  On a hunch that he might be a Marine aviator (no patches/artwork on the jacket), I researched the name.  Everett A. Reed joined the Navy Air reserves while working for the family in July, 1942.  He subsequently attended the Marine Aviation Training Center, NAS, Corpus Christi, TX and graduated as a Marine aviator on Christmas eve, 1944.  He went home on leave, became engaged and then joined the Marine Aviation Detachment, Naval Air Gunners School, Hollywood, FL in January, 1945.  After completing training, he was stationed at MAS El Toro, CA.  On March 23, 1945, he was injured and subsequently died of those injuries on March 21, 1945.

This is his jacket, in beautiful shape, but it comes with a sad story attached.

M-422A.4.jpg

M-422A.05.jpg

M-422A.5.jpg

M-422A.6.jpg

M-422A.7.jpg

M-422A.8.jpg

M-422A.9.jpg

M-422A.10.jpg

M-422A.11.jpg

M-422A.12.jpg

M-422A.13.jpg

Great detailed photos!!!

I'm looking to buy a size 36 -  40 WW2 M-422 leather flight jacket, made by Monarch, Switlik or any other manufacturer of the M-422 style?

Please let me know if you have one for sale?

Best & thanks!

Interesting this HL Block M422a has no collar stand, as required by the M422a specifications.  Are the underarm gussets vents sewn or are the brown colored brass eyelets?

• 9 months later...

I just acquired this M422-A made by Fried, Osterman Company. Trying to figure out the relationship between the insignia though. Appears to have an original USMC VMF 422 patch on the chest, although name tage is for a USNR aviator with a USS Hancock patch on the back. Insignia appears to have been there for quite some time so not recently added. Had wondered if pilot discharged from USMC and then entered naval reserve or if this might be a hand me down from father to son. Unfortunately pilot's name, Bill Young, is pretty common and I don't have much else to go on other than seller told me it was acquired at a garage sale in St. Joseph, MO. 

DSC08683.JPG

DSC08678.JPG

DSC08679.JPG

DSC08681.JPG

• 3 months later...
rabidCollector

Can anyone tell me what jacket I have here. There's no mfg. tag, so no help there. Also, any comments on the jacket and patch would be appreciated.

(If the pics aren't viewable, it's because I grabbed some thumbnails off the site I bought it from. I will re-shoot some pics and re-post tomorrow if they are no good)

Thanks!

WW2 G-1 Esn. J R Shufflebarger US Navy Leather Bomber Jacket VS-20 scouting sqadron 1.jpeg

WW2 G-1 Esn. J R Shufflebarger US Navy Leather Bomber Jacket VS-20 scouting sqadron 10.jpeg

WW2 G-1 Esn. J R Shufflebarger US Navy Leather Bomber Jacket VS-20 scouting sqadron 8.jpeg

WW2 G-1 Esn. J R Shufflebarger US Navy Leather Bomber Jacket VS-20 scouting sqadron 7.jpeg

WW2 G-1 Esn. J R Shufflebarger US Navy Leather Bomber Jacket VS-20 scouting sqadron 4.jpeg

WW2 G-1 Esn. J R Shufflebarger US Navy Leather Bomber Jacket VS-20 scouting sqadron 3.jpeg

WW2 G-1 Esn. J R Shufflebarger US Navy Leather Bomber Jacket VS-20 scouting sqadron 2.jpeg

21849841.jpeg

21849837.jpeg

Since there's a US under the collar and not a USN, it's an AN series jacket which were made from 43-47. Either an AN-J-3A or AN-6552. Do some research on the pilot and patch and it will give you an idea. 

• 1 month later...

Nice WWII Gordon & Ferguson M-422A US Navy Flight Jacket to Lt Col. Edward Drake USMC.  

He has some interesting service.  On December 7, 1941 he was serving on the USS Nevada as a Captain and was present on the ship during the Pearl Harbor attack.

After Pearl Harbor he went back to the USA and received flight training and became a Naval Aviator as a Major.  He served at the Naval Air Stations in Pensacola, New Orleans and Parris Island. 

On July 24, 1943 he crashed an SBD into Lake Michigan during carrier landing trials and he survived the accident with only multiple contusions to his head and face. The aircraft was later recovered and is on display at the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola. 

In 1944 he left aviation transferred back to ground duty and commanded a Bn of the 21stMarines in 1945.

This jacket is all original and has not been messed around with.

IMG_1578.jpeg

IMG_1579.jpeg

IMG_1582.jpeg

IMG_1581.jpeg

IMG_1580.jpeg

rabidCollector
On 8/24/2023 at 9:12 PM, Stony said:

Since there's a US under the collar and not a USN, it's an AN series jacket which were made from 43-47. Either an AN-J-3A or AN-6552. Do some research on the pilot and patch and it will give you an idea. 

Found this on the unit: VS-20, Scouting Squadron Twenty (Antisubmarine & Reconnaissance Scout Squadron), AIRCRAFT. SBD-4 Dauntless, Operated in the South Pacific in 1943, Patch was designed by Walt Disney Studios. Still trying to find info on the pilot. Thanks for the info!