WWII US NAVY FLIGHT JACKETS M-422, M-422A , M-421A , M-445A , AN-J-3A , AN-6552

KASTAUFFER

• 2 months later...

....sweet....someone took great care in storing the jacket... wonder about the back story

Yes, this one is new. Soft, zero issues. It feels like it was made yesterday, very unique.

• 1 month later...

It was a Navy contracted item. USMC used mostly the same aviation gear also contracted for US NAVY. I never heard about 37J1 jacket contracted for USMC I would not expect that to see.

Regards,

Jerry

Anybody knows about the USN flight jacket 37J1 was used by USMC aviators and had different decal of "USN", thank you in advance.

I think the 37J1 predates the M422...

Hi All,

It is my understanding that the 37J1 does in fact predate the M-422. However, it is also my understanding the navy discontinued issuing the 37J1 jacket with the advent of the M-422 in 1941. Moreover, I have it on reliable information that the 37J1 jacket was still being issued to new naval aviators at N.A.S. Pensacola well into 1941.

Since sourcing an original Switlik M-422 my jacket has peaked my interest in the M-422 model jacket. My particular jacket is currently under restoration by me and will be posting some images here once complete.

Not to mention & since I have begun reproducing a M-422 jacket, I have also been doing some research at the National Archives in Washington DC. All with regards to the M-422 model jacket as a whole.

On my first visit interest was concentrated on the Switlik. So far I have uncovered some information of the Switlik jacket and have found that the entire order consisted of under 250 jackets. Those Switlik jackets were in fact delivered to the USN at N.A.S. Pensacola in three separate deliveries. All three orders were made during the first quarter of 1941.

So far, my research has proven that there were at least three separate M-422 jacket makers. Among those makers the USN ordered 5 individual contracts. To those makers. The most prolific but maybe not the most wearable (due to their inherent short sleeves ) of the makers being W&G.

On my next visit I plan to find out more. As I have earmarked several files with regards to Willis & Geiger and their flight jacket contracts. As it now become my interest to find out beyond a doubt which of the five individual contracts came first and maybe more importantly which maker might have been the first to have delivered their product.

Cheers, Dave

Great photos Dustin as always :) !

Thanks Dave for your research. I guess a 37J1 jackets were produced pre war (earlier than M422). Of course were still used during the war after M422 and even M422a were introduced.

Cheers,

Jerry

Who would want a current issue G1?

That image is from July 1943, it was a facetious comment about requisitioning. Funning about the abundance of jackets in the image from the era. If you take a moment and look close, youll see there are different flight jackets by specification. Winter, intermediate and summer. An image in theme with this thread.

It may had been a published image, I give credit to the National Archives, where I pulled the card with this image. So Im not sure what the point of making a statement about Suit Up. I did not copy it from that publication, either of the last two images or any images I post.

Im sorry the image offended anyone in that youve seen it before.

For sure Dustin your posted pictures did't offended anyone don't worry. Everyone who knows you, did guess that pic is from one of your trip to NARA.

Thanks,

Jerry

Dustin & Owen - the fact that this image comes from NARA, and was featured in a magazine article at some point in the past are not mutually-exclusive. It absolutely adds to the conversation here, and nobody is concerned or offended. Very interesting to see them sorted by specification!