WWII US NAVY FLIGHT JACKETS M-422, M-422A , M-421A , M-445A , AN-J-3A , AN-6552

KASTAUFFER

Hi,

Just saw your posting. Sorry for the late reply. The one I have is a M-445, not the M-444. It is in mint condition. I got it with the pants, boots, flying helmets, goggles and aviator bag. A guy was selling his dad's flying gear from the war on the side of the road in South California when I was vacationing there. I grabbed everything. I can't believe that he was selling everything. I tried to tell him thta it would be better to keep everything in the family but according to him nobody cared. It was ever that or throwing it away :(. I love road trips!!

Tom

Sorry Tom for the second post, but the jacket in question is the one you reference as a "Mint M445 Monarch" in your Jul 20, 2008 post, i.e. the one with triangular patches on the sleeves. Marc

Sorry Tom for the second post, but the jacket in question is the one you reference as a "Mint M445 Monarch" in your Jul 20, 2008 post, i.e. the one with triangular patches on the sleeves. Marc

Marc, Yes this is indeed a M445 Monarch. The M-445 came in two iterations. This is the first model with no buttons at the bottom. The M-444 was actually thinner than the M445 and therefore not as warm but also not as bulky. Hope that helps.

Tom

Marc, Yes this is indeed a M445 Monarch. The M-445 came in two iterations. This is the first model with no buttons at the bottom. The M-444 was actually thinner than the M445 and therefore not as warm but also not as bulky. Hope that helps.

Tom

Tom, Thanks for the great info! I had no idea there were two versions of the M445. I have always "assumed" that the jacket my dad was wearing in the photo was a M444, but now you have me wondering. Looking at the photo, can you hazard a guess whether you think my dad's jacket was indeed a M444 or was it possibly the first iteration of the M445. Maybe the collar will give you a clue. I know the collar on a M444 was definitely smaller than the collar on the second iteration of the M445. I think Monarch had a contract for both. Interestingly, Monarch Manufacturing Co. was located in Milwaukee, WI, which was my dad's hometown.

Tom, Thanks for the great info! I had no idea there were two versions of the M445. I have always "assumed" that the jacket my dad was wearing in the photo was a M444, but now you have me wondering. Looking at the photo, can you hazard a guess whether you think my dad's jacket was indeed a M444 or was it possibly the first iteration of the M445. Maybe the collar will give you a clue. I know the collar on a M444 was definitely smaller than the collar on the second iteration of the M445. I think Monarch had a contract for both. Interestingly, Monarch Manufacturing Co. was located in Milwaukee, WI, which was my dad's hometown.

It does look like a M445 as the collar seems to be bigger than the M-444. Was your dad a pilot?. You can email me directly at [email protected] if you'd like.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Tom. I just e-mailed you. Marc

Great subject. I thought I throw this one (better late than never). The M-716. This belonged to my chiropractor: Ensign L. D. Houser, USNR (RIP).

Sorry about the image quality on the label, it is a dark and stormy day.

post-5673-1235956820.jpg

post-5673-1235956856.jpg

post-5673-1235956870.jpg

Great subject. I thought I throw this one (better late than never). The M-716. This belonged to my chiropractor: Ensign L. D. Houser, USNR (RIP).

Sorry about the image quality on the label, it is a dark and stormy day.

I am going to try that again with just a shot of the jacket (still getting the hang of this).

post-5673-1235957288.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
I am going to try that again with just a shot of the jacket (still getting the hang of this).

Hello, can I get a scan or photo of the front and back of the VC 66 patch? I'd like to have it for my records. Also, what size is it and do you have an extra for sale? Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Was the M-716 a war contract or was it post war? Nice jacket by the way.

I am looking for WWII flying jackets to buy (M-422A, M422, AN6552, M-421a......) Let me know if you have any for sale.

Here's my contribution. I got this jacket w/leather pants/boots a number of years ago. No manufacturer or size markings. Is stamped USN in white lettering on back.

post-6155-1241018204.jpg

I would appreciate any feedback on this.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff,

Nice jacket. You sure it's a WWII jacket? looks more like a post war Cagleco. Is the zipper original? It looks like a big teeth Crown zipper.

Jeff,

Nice jacket. You sure it's a WWII jacket? looks more like a post war Cagleco. Is the zipper original? It looks like a big teeth Crown zipper.

Hi Bazelot.

I don't know anything about these jackets. I was hoping someone could tell me. I got the jacket at a flea market w/leather pants and leather boots (they have been sold a little while ago.) I took a picture of the bbots mil specs (see my same thread below in the main uniform area). What's a Cagleco?

PS Thanks for your input.

Bob Hudson
What's a Cagleco?

Cagleco Sportwear post-WWII Navy G-1 leather flight jackets into the early 1950's.

Without a label it can be a bear to date a Navy flight jackt. The USN stamp under the collar was supposedly discontinued in 1951 when they started punching USN in the zipper windflap (literally made from little holes punched through the leather). The manufacturer's name on the zipper can be a clue, but zippers can be replaced and even if they aren't the same makers produced them for a number of years.

Cagleco Sportwear post-WWII Navy G-1 leather flight jackets into the early 1950's.

Without a label it can be a bear to date a Navy flight jackt. The USN stamp under the collar was supposedly discontinued in 1951 when they started punching USN in the zipper windflap (literally made from little holes punched through the leather). The manufacturer's name on the zipper can be a clue, but zippers can be replaced and even if they aren't the same makers produced them for a number of years.

All the knits and waistband have been replaced on this jacket. The zipper has also been replaced as there were no G-1s or M-422As with the big teeth Crown zipper. Hard to tell but I would stand by my original assessment of it being a Cagleco made between 1947 and 1951. Do you have pics of the pants and boots?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

hello is there any differance between the usmc and the navy g1 or m-422, will the usmc still have usn on the collar?

hello is there any differance between the usmc and the navy g1 or m-422, will the usmc still have usn on the collar?

No difference at all.

Kurt

• 1 month later...

Nice jackets everyone!

It is my understanding that the perforated USN in the gas flap came about around 1956-57. There are some transition jackets that had both the painted USN and perforated USN. I believe those are the "Amendment #2", but I could be wrong on that count. Needless to say, there were some jackets with both.

I didn't see any pictures or mention of the M-422, which would have preceded the M-422a. A rare contract indeed and I had the chance recently to purchase one, but the price was high (as it probably should be because of the rarity).

Cheers,

Stony