WWII US NAVY FLIGHT JACKETS M-422, M-422A , M-421A , M-445A , AN-J-3A , AN-6552

KASTAUFFER

Agreed 100%.

When I first seen the picture in 1995 I asked myself how many of those jackets survived.

I just bought the SUIT UP magazine in a Japanese bookshop in London beside ST PAULS Cathedral and brought it with excitement and read it cover to cover on the steps of the cathedral that afternoon.

I was working in the City for Reuters and my boss called me up and made me shift into gear and get down to 85 fleet ST ASAP.

Funny bought in a Japanese book shop on land bombed by the Luftwaffe.

Business first as they say.

Always loved the picture.

owen

• 2 weeks later...

Kurt I am not so sure, the collar matches the smaller size of the M422 (from memory the M422 has smaller collar then the M422A as this jacket does 2 1/2 I believe?) the pockets on the M422 are different sizes ( I believe the left hand pocket) then the M422A as this jacket has, I believe the M422A has a wide left pocket with pencil hole? This Jacket has a narrower left pocket then all of the M422A jackets I have.

The 422 is strong on the tag no appearance evidence of missing A.

I could be wrong but I believe this is a M422 not a M422A

Your jacket is most definitely an M 422... Look at the back of the collar....there are NO 7 horizontal lines of stitching, as required by the M422a, and the contract number is an M422 contract. It is an M422, no question. If you read the original specification book for the M422 and the M422a, you see two major differences between the two specs, are the collar stand (7lines of horizontal stitching) required on the M422a, and the sleeve lengths are lengthened 1" for all jacket sizes in the M422a.

• 3 weeks later...

Your jacket is most definitely an M 422... Look at the back of the collar....there are NO 7 horizontal lines of stitching, as required by the M422a, and the contract number is an M422 contract. It is an M422, no question. If you read the original specification book for the M422 and the M422a, you see two major differences between the two specs, are the collar stand (7lines of horizontal stitching) required on the M422a, and the sleeve lengths are lengthened 1" for all jacket sizes in the M422a.

You brought up some good points on the differences between the M-422 and M-422A model jackets. However from those three know M-422 makers (Monarch, Switlik and W&G) only the W&G jackets were required to receive that added sleeve length with the advent of the M-422A.

Needless to say, both Monarch and Switlik M-422 jackets came equipped with normal length sleeves from the get go !

Cheers, Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

Found this great thread recently. Here is my combat-flown Gordan & Fereguson M-422A which was given to me many years ago by the Marine Corps aviator vet who was a friend in the Marine Corps League. He flew the Corsair in VMF-224 in combat in the Marshalls and at Okinawa. 1 Zero kill recorded.

The first pic is the jacket followed by the well worn label, (sz 38), his very faded and worn original brown name tag and the USN collar stamp. The final pic is the jacket with his original squadron patch laid on, It was never sewn on. Enjoy! Semper Fi! Bobgee

BRISTOW 1A.jpg

BRISTOW 2.jpg

BRISTOW 4.jpg

BRISTOW 1.jpg

BRISTOW LABEL.jpg

Found this great thread recently. Here is my combat-flown Gordan & Fereguson M-422A which was given to me many years ago by the Marine Corps aviator vet who was a friend in the Marine Corps League. He flew the Corsair in VMF-224 in combat in the Marshalls and at Okinawa. 1 Zero kill recorded.

The first pic is the jacket followed by the well worn label, (sz 38), his very faded and worn original brown name tag and the USN collar stamp. The final pic is the jacket with his original squadron patch laid on, It was never sewn on. Enjoy! Semper Fi! Bobgee

Nice jacket Bob!

• 5 months later...
Maverickson

Hi All,

I'm proud to present my now fully restored Size 40 SWITLIK PARACHUTE AND EQUIPMENT CO. M-422. When initially received it was a basket case.

This Switlik jacket was taken down to it's individual panels by me. Then patterned and restitched in it's entirety.  All done by carefully aligning all panels and restitching in 100% silk thread as per original. Most notably, also recently found that all M-422 jackets in general were in fact completely stitched in silk thread . To include the lining. 

1847855382_SWITLIKM-422HALFZIPPED825.jpg.f5e9bb78c174c13660702b4e52d725a5.jpg

Through my research at the National Archives in Washington DC I found that this jacket is 1 of 247. These Switlik jackets were all delivered to the USN in three individual shipments directly to N.A.S.Pensacola.  All made during the first quarter of 1941. 

Now apart of my personal collection and model for reproductions going forward. 

Cheers, Dave

Maverickson

Hi All,

Please see a couple more images that show some of this Switlik jacket's unique details.

299008904_SwitlikUSNStencil450.jpg.df7ec172bb7cca01414617ce6f6297c6.jpg204758032_SwitlikTopLoadingPencilPocket450.jpg.cbdf2081cfee5f9cade5c019cc55212e.jpg

Cheers, Dave

It's OKAY, I guess.

Kidding. The attention to detail to get it hanging right again must have been intense. Great work, Dave!

The other Dave

• 4 weeks later...

I was pleased to add this M-422A to my stable of  USN/USMC flight jackets.

The owner flew with VMTB-232 in WWII and VMF-214 during the Korean War. He earned a DFC in each conflict. 

The jacket is a nice WWII vintage Edmund T Church contract example. 

The VMF 214 patch dates from the Korean War. He became a Captain  in World War II, so the name tag could be from either war.

7813EED8-762D-409E-A943-E78A11C29E76.jpeg

374D73AC-B314-4154-8F23-24E11890D944.jpeg

E1A2E206-402D-43F1-84FF-1ECF26013815.jpeg

20D6534F-9500-43A4-A53A-6E5949D3FCC8.jpeg

• 6 months later...

Hi,

I hope people are still looking at this forum as I have only just found it, looks like no posts since last year.

I am rather confused about the differences between a M422 and M422A with regards to the H&L Block version. It appears from reading through this very interesting forum that one of the main differences is that the A has the 7 lines of horizontal stitching along collar back but the photos of the Block with A label does not have that stitching, Did they ignore the 7 lines of stitching regulation ?

The reason I am querying this is that over here in UK back in the 1970s I bought a jacket that at teh time thought was a G1 with an unusual lining ( I was buying A2s and G1s which along with Irvins were the most widely available original flying jackets over here) , this was way pre internet when not much info was available anywhere.

Last year having time on my hands I thought I would use the online information to find out about it, age etc .

As it had the remnants of a label - BU Aero jacket by Monarch mfg. contract NXS 12497 I could now look that up but the only spec I could find that relates to this is an M445-A, a sheepskin jacket.  As that obviously didn't fit I looked more  closely at the label  - it looks as if it had been a replacement for the original label.

So  I queried this with teh vintage leather jackets site and was told it was an H&L Block M422A as it has the USN in yellow, claret lining with a double pleat which I am told are all specific Block attributes.

So my query is if Block also made a 422 (maybe they didn't ? ) how does one differentiate from the A.

I would love to hear what else can be checked or I can put up photos if that may help.

Looking forward to hearing from you knowledgeable guys

Thanks in advance

John

John I will let others chime in but my understanding in all makers, the difference between the M422 and the M422A was the addition of a oen slot in the left flap pocket of the jacket. The M422 was the first model issued and several months later, they changed to the M422A with the addition of the pen  pocket. I am going off memory here and haven’t studied these for a while but that is my recollection. So if your jacket doesn’t have the pen slot, a M422 and if so a M422A. 

The M422 spec became operative in March 1940.  The M422A spec superseded the M422 in October 1940.

The specification differences were several.

1. The sleeve length was made longer across all sizes by 1 inch.

2. The collar stand (7 lines of horizontal stitching on rear of collar) was added. The M422 jackets have no collar stand.

3. (From memory) the elastic bi-swing back retractors were increases in width from 3/4 inch to 1 inch.

The line if vertical stitching to create the pencil pocket was only found on Gordon and Ferguson M422A's. The other makers of M422 and M422A jackets made a normal pencil pocket. The Gordon and Ferguson M422A had a 7 inch wide left side pocket instead of the normal 6 inch wide pocket.

20201029_105415.jpg

20200915_052747.jpg

20200611_095724.jpg

20191030_121533.jpg

20200902_180234.jpg

20181218_171341.jpg

On 2/6/2008 at 4:17 AM, KASTAUFFER said:

I saw a thread that was devoted to the US Army Flight Jackets of WWII, and thought we could use one devoted to USN/USMC jackets as well. I am going to start this thread off with examples of the M-422A.

The M-422A is the most recognized flight jacket that the US Navy used during WWII . In 1948 , the name of the jacket was renamed the G-1 which it is known as today.

There were a number of different manufacturers of these jackets during WWII, and each have slight differences.

The 1st jacket pictured is an M-422A made by H&L Block . Note the Yellow USN on the back of the collar and the maroon lining. This jacket features a steel Talon zipper . Note the texture and weave on the waistband .

WWII M-422A jackets do not have USN pierced into the flap under the zipper like G-1 jackets do.

It is difficult to find WWII vintage jackets with anything other than a nametag.

RYan1.JPG

RYan2.JPG

RYan3.JPG

This HLBlock M422A is a bit unique, in that it will have sewn underarm gusset holes, and it does NOT have the required 7 lines of horizontal stitching to form a collar stand, as does every other M422A.  I am guessing this was an oversight in production.  I have one as well, as well as other makers jackets from this period.

Thanks for all your responses, guys.

My unlabeled jacket has all the Block characteristics, the yellow USN,  red lining with double pleat, underarm ho;es stitched not grommeted and has the pen pocket with just a slit. The pockets are the same size.

I'm happy that my jacket is a Block but my query is - Does anyone know if Block made  a M4222  before the A and if so what differences were there( if any) as it seems the 7 collar stitching is not relevant with a Block. Thanks again John

Thanks againIMG_8851.JPG.3f38c6564558f56bbd2fbf206be55586.JPG

IMG_3226.JPG

IMG_3227.JPG

3 hours ago, newagegeezer said:

Thanks for all your responses, guys.

My unlabeled jacket has all the Block characteristics, the yellow USN,  red lining with double pleat, underarm ho;es stitched not grommeted and has the pen pocket with just a slit. The pockets are the same size.

I'm happy that my jacket is a Block but my query is - Does anyone know if Block made  a M4222  before the A and if so what differences were there( if any) as it seems the 7 collar stitching is not relevant with a Block. Thanks again John

Thanks againIMG_8851.JPG.3f38c6564558f56bbd2fbf206be55586.JPG

IMG_3226.JPG

IMG_3227.JPG

I don't remember from my research if Block had an M422 contract, but the only Blocks I have seen are M422A's from contract 5134.

How the missing collar stand happened I don't know.  Block M422A seem unique with their pleat, sewn grommets, yellow USN, throat latch shape, wind flap and pocket flap shapes. All clues in divining who made a jacket that is missing its label.  Good work!

20210225_153353.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, if this is not the right place to put it, mods please delete but it's a question about a A-2 so thought this is the right place...  I bought a A-2 and one of the seams came loose.  What should i do?  Leave it like that or find an professional who can repair it?

IMG_0304.JPG.829296deee152569c29795952fc4aa26.JPG

11 minutes ago, mch979 said:

1. Don't wear period jackets.

2. Send it to Steve Sellers on FB to repair it.

I would never wear period jackets, i put them on a mannequin with acid free paper...

Thank you for the tip about Steve, i live in the old continent but would consider sending it tho the US for repair...