WWII US NAVY FLIGHT JACKETS M-422, M-422A , M-421A , M-445A , AN-J-3A , AN-6552

KASTAUFFER

• 9 months later...

Thanks for the thread. Just joined and posted a picture of a WWII M-444 jacket that was part of my successful on-line estate sale bid. The entire set had everything and after a little cleaning I will post more pictures to this thread for others to enjoy.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is my newest jacket!

The veteran was a Gunner in VMB-612. His M-422A Flight Jacket has an unusual insignia painted on the back. I'm hoping someone recognizes it. Its a 3 in triangle. His unit was part of the 3rd Marine Air Wing, so maybe that is what it represents. Above that is the number "108" .

The M-422A is a Gordon and Ferguson and the leather is beautiful!

MVC-106L.JPG

MVC-109L.JPG

MVC-105L.JPG

Thanks a ton for your help Bazelot. That Monarch looks to be in great shape! Do you have any tips for re-hydrating/softening the leather without ruining the jacket? I was also wondering if you had any idea of what a fair price for the Willis and Geiger jacket I showed you might be.
Cheers,
Johnny

You should leave it as is. No amount of laether lotion will restore the shearling if it is brittle or flaking. Plus the finish of USN shearlings is supposesd to be water proof so all you will do is leave a layer of goop on the surface and this will damage the jacket in the long run.

As far as pricing is concerned it is hard to tell without holding it in my hands. THe shearling loks like it is in fair shape with some flaking of the finish but not bad. I would say between $200 and $300 (at least this is what I wuld pay without seeing it)

Great thanks a ton for the advise, I really appreciate it and I will leave the leather as is if I purchase the jacket. I actually just received some links to more pictures and details from the seller... and it has a couple of rips. I will post a couple of photos. It would be great to know if anyone has had experience with fixing tears like this with old shearling... and whether these tears look manageable or not.

Shoulder tear:

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/?ui=2&ik=62d91d9bc8&view=att&th=1413403d92731f3a&attid=0.2&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P_h3ifXhl71leOxkMqvZeTf&sadet=1379558115973&sads=5nLj3lefJQwvKm0_AKi38AbCLuE

Arm seam rip:

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/?ui=2&ik=62d91d9bc8&view=att&th=1413403d92731f3a&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P_h3ifXhl71leOxkMqvZeTf&sadet=1379563441128&sads=AakqaSFKEGCSUEzf-OViOBQjEMY

thanks!

Great thanks a ton for the advise, I really appreciate it and I will leave the leather as is if I purchase the jacket. I actually just received some links to more pictures and details from the seller... and it has a couple of rips. I will post a couple of photos. It would be great to know if anyone has had experience with fixing tears like this with old shearling... and whether these tears look manageable or not.

Shoulder tear:

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/?ui=2&ik=62d91d9bc8&view=att&th=1413403d92731f3a&attid=0.2&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P_h3ifXhl71leOxkMqvZeTf&sadet=1379558115973&sads=5nLj3lefJQwvKm0_AKi38AbCLuE

Arm seam rip:

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/?ui=2&ik=62d91d9bc8&view=att&th=1413403d92731f3a&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P_h3ifXhl71leOxkMqvZeTf&sadet=1379563441128&sads=AakqaSFKEGCSUEzf-OViOBQjEMY

thanks!

I cannot access the links. it asks me to login to a GMail account. Some tears are easily fixable with the shearling is not dry rotted. If it is dry rotted it will be impossible. If it has 2 tears the estimate of the worth of the jacket will be less.

Quite a grouping you got there and probably the most extensive Navy flight clothing one I've ever seen. Didn't see the M-421 on the VLJ forum pictures you posted. All three flight jackets are in outstanding shape and you should be lucky/proud to own this group. :love:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey Kastaufer,

I'm new on the forum, but I'd suggest that that insignia ia a "B", not a "3" as posted previously. It was clearly stenciled and thus probably organizational, rather than motivational.

My first inclination would be that it stood for "B Flight/division" which would probably make the most sense in a larger multi-crew aircraft squadron where a flight would be more than four aircrewmen.

I guess it could also be B Company, Battery, etc if the jacket fell into the hands of a non-pilot or if the owner was a "Fallen Angel".

All just guesses I know, but maybe something to help you on your way.

Deacon

It could be a B. The wearer of the jacket was a crew member of VMB-612 which was part of the 3rd Marine Air Wing.

Kurt

All just conjecture of course, but I would suspect that it would have a Roman Numeral 3 in a red horizontal diamond if it was a 3rd MAW insignia.

I've never seen markings like that on a jacket before, though by the time I was in, leather jackets were more uniform than flight equipment.

Deacon

Johnny Signor

Really how interesting, the squadron patch is ww2, and very well painted, apart form the scrape, which i'm going to fix with a stead hand to look it's best. i wonder when this jacket was painted then.

Does anyone have any more information on this they might be able to give me?

Actually I think the emblem is a decal as some were done this way back in the day .....................