WWII US NAVY FLIGHT JACKETS M-422, M-422A , M-421A , M-445A , AN-J-3A , AN-6552

KASTAUFFER

Wow, I can't believe I've never come across those zippers before.

Just something else to add to the list I guess.

Love the plural on the AN-6552. Not many can say that.

JC

I guess I should say I have 1.5 AN-6552's. My AN-6552 with the nametag to the WWII USCG Aviator is missing the spec tag :(

Kurt

Here is my newest jacket. It is an M-422 ( not an M-422A ) . It pre-dates WWII . These jackets are extremelly scarce and what makes this example so nice is that it is in basically un-issued condition .

post-105-1294104871.jpg

post-105-1294104882.jpg

Great jacket! Very tough to find. Especially in that condition!

JD

• 4 months later...

Gordon and Ferguson is amazing especially in this orginal condition !!!! Thanks for sharing Tom.

Regards,

Jerry

• 3 weeks later...
KASTAUFFER

I bought this one to re-sell ( it's on Ebay now ) , but I thought it should be included in this thread too. Its the biggest WWII USN flight jacket I have owned. ( size 48 )

Its a Gordon & Ferguson Co. Contract No. NOs 416A M-422A and the condition is awesome!

MVC_017L.JPG

MVC_018L.JPG

• 2 months later...

There are some beautiful jackets on here. I my self have only just started collecting, but am building up a nice little collection already.

I bought a L.W Foster AN-J-3a the other week which is painted, the jacket is sadly in a bad way with dry rot on the painted side (probably from the paint) and a whole under the left pocket, it's also going bald like it's going out of fashion, but after i send it off to be reconditioned by Aero and get a new collar and the bad side back-lined if should be look great.

post-52408-1313505596.jpg

post-52408-1313505789.jpg

There are some beautiful jackets on here. I my self have only just started collecting, but am building up a nice little collection already.

I bought a L.W Foster AN-J-3a the other week which is painted, the jacket is sadly in a bad way with dry rot on the painted side (probably from the paint) and a whole under the left pocket, it's also going bald like it's going out of fashion, but after i send it off to be reconditioned by Aero and get a new collar and the bad side back-lined if should be look great.

That is an interesting tag!! The N383 contract number would indicate that this is a post WWII jacket as there were no N383 contracts in WWII. The AN-J3a jacket is indeed a weird bird and came right before the 55J14 jacket.

That is an interesting tag!! The N383 contract number would indicate that this is a post WWII jacket as there were no N383 contracts in WWII. The AN-J3a jacket is indeed a weird bird and came right before the 55J14 jacket.

Really how interesting, the squadron patch is ww2, and very well painted, apart form the scrape, which i'm going to fix with a stead hand to look it's best. i wonder when this jacket was painted then.

Does anyone have any more information on this they might be able to give me?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks Tom. That jacket was mint when I got it but it's had about 4 years wear now. I traded an equally mint G&F M-422A in size 40 for it that was too big for me.

• 2 months later...
The USN stamp under the collar was supposedly discontinued in 1951 when they started punching USN in the zipper windflap (literally made from little holes punched through the leather).

This actually happened around 1956-57.

The only one I have now is my favourite of them all, a Foster AN-J-3A.

I'm a bit confused by this jacket as I thought all "AN" type jackets had just the "U.S." under the collar. This one has "U.S.N." (unless this picture was incorrectly added to the others).

• 4 months later...

Just found sone nice research to one of my M-422's I poste dealier. He was a blimp pilot with Blimp Squadron 22.

seibold.JPG

post_105_1281061501.jpg

• 2 months later...

Ive been looking for a clean un-messed with AN-J-3-A and finally found one. This one dated to Feb 1944 bsaed on the contract label.

MVC_082L.JPG

MVC_083L.JPG

MVC_084L.JPG

Ive been looking for a clean un-messed with AN-J-3-A and finally found one. This one dated to Feb 1944 bsaed on the contract label.

Nice jacket Kurt.

Would you like his file number? Also, see "find a grave".

W

Hi Gary, I had seen the "find a Grave" listing, but I dont have his file number! Id appreciate it!

Kurt