WWII US NAVY FLIGHT JACKETS M-422, M-422A , M-421A , M-445A , AN-J-3A , AN-6552

KASTAUFFER

I saw a thread that was devoted to the US Army Flight Jackets of WWII, and thought we could use one devoted to USN/USMC jackets as well. I am going to start this thread off with examples of the M-422A.

The M-422A is the most recognized flight jacket that the US Navy used during WWII . In 1948 , the name of the jacket was renamed the G-1 which it is known as today.

There were a number of different manufacturers of these jackets during WWII, and each have slight differences.

The 1st jacket pictured is an M-422A made by H&L Block . Note the Yellow USN on the back of the collar and the maroon lining. This jacket features a steel Talon zipper . Note the texture and weave on the waistband .

WWII M-422A jackets do not have USN pierced into the flap under the zipper like G-1 jackets do.

It is difficult to find WWII vintage jackets with anything other than a nametag.

RYan1.JPG

RYan2.JPG

RYan3.JPG

This second example is an M-422A made by Willis & Geiger Inc . This example had USN stencilled in black on the back of the collar , but it is almost worn off . Note the color of the lining . It is more subdued than the H&L Block version . It also features a steel Talon zipper . Also note the nametag on this jacket is black rather than brown .

will1.JPG

will2.JPG

will3.JPG

post-105-1202267902.jpg

post-105-1202267896.jpg

Kurt,

I have one that is the same with a patch for H&MS 31....mfg by Cagleco Sportswear, zipper is marked Conmar.

I "found" this in 1979.

Bill

Great Jacket Kurt:) I wish to have one m422a Jacket...

I have in my collection a m421a and an-j2 (this is version with 4 pockets) but without any leather tag:(

also you m421 with VF-3 patch is great! Thanks for sharing!

Best regards,

Jerry K.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a new addition to the collection to add to the thread.

This is an AN-6552 made by Bogen and Tennenbaum in size 36 . The contract is N288S 24331 ( that would date this jacket to @ June 1944 ) . This is a scarce jacket! I still have to do some research on the owner.

DSC05740.jpg

DSC05745.jpg

DSC05741.jpg

DSC05749.jpg

Here is my contribution. M-422A worn by Harry Dees from Terre Haute, Indiana. BTW, his items were split up at the estate sale and I have seen a few show up on EBay. If you have any items, from Dees, Please let me know. At least I would like to get photos of his items.

post-203-1204801670.jpg

Here is my contribution. M-422A worn by Harry Dees from Terre Haute, Indiana. BTW, his items were split up at the estate sale and I have seen a few show up on EBay. If you have any items, from Dees, Please let me know. At least I would like to get photos of his items.

DEES_2.jpg

Hi Erick

Nice jacket! I believe this is an M-445A . Hard to find in decent condition.

Kurt

GOOD EYE! That's what I get for posting too fast!!! I hadn't looked at the jacket for quite awhile and shot from the hip. Which reminds me, is there a good USN aviation reference book out there? I need the USN/USMC version of "More Silver Wings, Pinks and Greens"!

Actually it is the M-444, which as I understand it, was the replacement to the M-445. Here is the jacket's tag:

post-203-1204923978.jpg

And a closer look at the name:

post-203-1204924008.jpg

Hi Erick

Nice jacket! I believe this is an M-445A . Hard to find in decent condition.

Kurt

Thanks Kurt. I did receive his records from NPRC although they are a bit jumbled. The last entry for an award is dated 1955, however both his obit and the reconstructed record shows survice in Vietnam. He retired in 1964. During WWII He flew with VMJ-253, VMJ-953 and VMD-154.

• 1 month later...
Kurt,

I have one that is the same with a patch for H&MS 31....mfg by Cagleco Sportswear, zipper is marked Conmar.

I "found" this in 1979.

Bill

Cagleco was a post war manufacturer. THey made G-1s and nor M422A's.

• 6 months later...
Guest sirnerd

Here is a new addition to the collection to add to the thread.

This is an AN-6552 made by Bogen and Tennenbaum in size 36 . The contract is N288S 24331 ( that would date this jacket to @ June 1944 ) . This is a scarce jacket! I still have to do some research on the owner.

quote]

Very nice! Would you know if contract no. N288S 12600 would date to 1944? It's by Gordon & Ferguson Co.

They made very good M-422A's etc. but please forgive this slightly off-topic reference to a Navy Aircraft Transport coat; specification M-69 F.

Thank you,

Andy.

• 1 month later...
Very nice! Would you know if contract no. N288S 12600 would date to 1944? It's by Gordon & Ferguson Co.

They made very good M-422A's etc. but please forgive this slightly off-topic reference to a Navy Aircraft Transport coat; specification M-69 F.

Thank you,

Andy.

Here is a great thread about USN contract numbers

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...c=1590&st=0

It puts yours at @ March 1943.

Kurt

Here is an Edmund T. Church contract M-422A I just acquired. Its contract number NSX-5133 dates this to 1942,

The USN on the back of the collar is printed in black and is very hard to read. It has a steel Talon zipper.

The owner of this jacket was John C. Hunt.

He served in the Navy from 1942 until retiring in 1954 as a Commander.

During World War II, he commanded blimps on anti-submarine patrols on the Caribbean and along the Atlantic Coast. During the Korean War, he was commanding officer of the Military Sea Transportation Service in Inchon and also served as a negotiator during POW exchanges.

Kurt

Hunt.JPG

Hunt1.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

These are great fun to look at. Does anyone know if the Navy pilots ever painted on their leather jackets the way the AAF guys did?

These are great fun to look at. Does anyone know if the Navy pilots ever painted on their leather jackets the way the AAF guys did?

Yes they did paint on the jackets.I have two of them.One is to a MADCAT squadron and the other has a small sqaudron patch on the front.It was touched up by the original owner and the liner replaced.

RON

During WWII very few USN jackets were painted. You just dont find them. They do exist but they are a lot rarer than AAF ones. Generally it is just patches and insignia that got painted and not the large visual images like you see on the back of 8th AAF A-2's.

Its tough just to find a WWII USN jacket with a nametag!

Kurt

• 2 weeks later...

Mint M-421A

post-5264-1232728892.jpg

Bazelot,

You posted a photo of a beautiful M-444 jacket. Is that an original in excellent condition, or a repro? Where did you find it? I'm trying to buy one like my Dad had in WWII. I'm attaching (hopefully) a photo of my Dad wearing his at the end of the war.

• 3 weeks later...
Bazelot,

You posted a photo of a beautiful M-444 jacket. Is that an original in excellent condition, or a repro? Where did you find it? I'm trying to buy one like my Dad had in WWII. I'm attaching (hopefully) a photo of my Dad wearing his at the end of the war.

Hi,

Just saw your posting. Sorry for the late reply. The one I have is a M-445, not the M-444. It is in mint condition. I got it with the pants, boots, flying helmets, goggles and aviator bag. A guy was selling his dad's flying gear from the war on the side of the road in South California when I was vacationing there. I grabbed everything. I can't believe that he was selling everything. I tried to tell him thta it would be better to keep everything in the family but according to him nobody cared. It was ever that or throwing it away :(. I love road trips!!

Tom

Hi,

Just saw your posting. Sorry for the late reply. The one I have is a M-445, not the M-444. It is in mint condition. I got it with the pants, boots, flying helmets, goggles and aviator bag. A guy was selling his dad's flying gear from the war on the side of the road in South California when I was vacationing there. I grabbed everything. I can't believe that he was selling everything. I tried to tell him thta it would be better to keep everything in the family but according to him nobody cared. It was ever that or throwing it away :(. I love road trips!!

Tom

Tom, Thanks so much for responding. I can't believe someone would sell his dad's stuff, and that no one in the family "cared". You were indeed lucky. However, I'm confused. When I asked you about the M-444, I was referring to the last three photos of your July 20, 2008 post. Although you referenced M-445 (and the first photo in the series is indeed a M-445 with buttons at the bottom of the zipper and square top to the patches on the sleeve), the jacket in the last three photos has triangular patches on the sleeve and no buttons at the bottom of the front zipper. I thought from my research that could only be a M-444 (see my dad's photo again), but you must surely know from the label. Can you clear this up for me? Thanks Marc