2 inch wing stamped 'sterling wing' - comment pls.

INIMICUS

this 2" wing has rough looking 'US' like the initials were rasped, but other parts of the wings are 'flat' making those parts sparkle at a certain angle. Q. is: is it REAL? thanks a lot, david

post-496-1346369111.jpg

pic 2

this 2" wing has rough looking 'US' like the initials were rasped, but other parts of the wings are 'flat' making those parts sparkle at a certain angle. Q. is: is it REAL? thanks a lot, david

post-496-1346369149.jpg

OK , I'll bite. WWI wings aren't really my thing, but, Good Lord, I am not sure what there is to "like" about this wing. It's hard to say what this was originally, since it has been so badly hand-filed, gouged, and chizled. But it looks it's real to me; a REAL MESS!!! Possible FRANKEN-WING that's been BUBBA-ized. Just MHO. Rollie

In the jewelry trade it is called a Diamond Cut.

THANKS GUYS. AND I GUESS BY YOUR RESPONSE YOU'RE SAYING 'BAD,' MANAYUNKMAN?

In the jewelry trade it is called a Diamond Cut.

THANKS GUYS. AND I GUESS BY YOUR RESPONSE YOU'RE SAYING 'BAD,' MANAYUNKMAN?

Its good in my opinion. I have one in my collection that was made into a bracelet for a pilot (and it doesn't have the US). They show up now and then but don't seem to get that much of a price for some reason. Not sure why, but maybe it is the fact that it is really not that rare and may actually be closer to a post-war patriotic jewelry piece then something that was worn on the hat during WWI. Still, I wouldn't have a great deal of concern with this wing from what I can see.

Patrick

THANKS HEAPS, PATRICK. THE GUY'S TRAY ALSO HAS SOME OTHER SMALLS, LIKE MINI-WWII WINGS, RCAF AIMER SWEETHEART BROOCH, 2" COMMAND PILOT SHIRT WINGS....

WELL HERE'S A PIC OR 2

CAPS

Its good in my opinion. I have one in my collection that was made into a bracelet for a pilot (and it doesn't have the US). They show up now and then but don't seem to get that much of a price for some reason. Not sure why, but maybe it is the fact that it is really not that rare and may actually be closer to a post-war patriotic jewelry piece then something that was worn on the hat during WWI. Still, I wouldn't have a great deal of concern with this wing from what I can see.

Patrick

post-496-1346446153.jpg

second pic

THANKS HEAPS, PATRICK. THE GUY'S TRAY ALSO HAS SOME OTHER SMALLS, LIKE MINI-WWII WINGS, RCAF AIMER SWEETHEART BROOCH, 2" COMMAND PILOT SHIRT WINGS....

WELL HERE'S A PIC OR 2

CAPS

post-496-1346446194.jpg

WHAT TH'?! 321 VIEWS AND ONE REACTION? THIS IS THE 'WINGS' FORUM UNLESS I'M VERY MUCH MISTAKEN AND I'M NOT. CAN NO ONE ELSE CHIME IN? I'M, A FELLOW MEMBER HERE AND I DON'T GET IT....

DAVID WALSH

THANKS - ANYONE ELSE?

WHAT TH'?! 321 VIEWS AND ONE REACTION? THIS IS THE 'WINGS' FORUM UNLESS I'M VERY MUCH MISTAKEN AND I'M NOT. CAN NO ONE ELSE CHIME IN? I'M, A FELLOW MEMBER HERE AND I DON'T GET IT....

DAVID WALSH

WWI wings (real ones) are few and far between, and few of us have handled enough to make educated comments on wings offered for discussion. There are somewhere around 6 people on this forum of about 13,000 who have the knowledge to actually help you. Arguably, the worst thing someone can do is give you guesses and uninformed comments, which is why I (and I'm sure many others) have not chimed in.

give you guesses and uninformed comments....

Actually, that is EXACTLY what the "experts" are providing! :w00t:

The pictures aren't great, lots of fakes are around, good wings are relatively rare and not many people have had lots of experience handling them, and finally, people don't always like to be negative.

Not much more can be said about them that hasn't already been said; you either don't like them or you do. Handmade/jeweler-made wings are always going to be like that, so you kind of have to decide for yourself.

To be fair to the other members, you can spend a lot of time replying to the same two questions--it it fake and what is it worth?

P

Actually, that is EXACTLY what the "experts" are providing! :w00t:

You are too modest. Your opinions and those select others we know are better than guesswork ;) But, good point nevertheless. This is an area where you have to make up your own mind based upon your own observations.

thanks to both you fine gentlemen. back they go!

good hunting,

dw

You are too modest. Your opinions and those select others we know are better than guesswork ;) But, good point nevertheless. This is an area where you have to make up your own mind based upon your own observations.