Civil War Bullets

manayunkman

Even though I went to Gettysburg College and spent all my time going to museums ( or hanging out with George Marinos )I don't know what a couple of these are.

The two on the right are mini's but what are the other 4 ?

Thank you in advance.

M

post-51189-1346359630.jpg

donation2013.gif

Both the first and second appear to be Sharps carbine bullets. The two round balls were part of the 'buck and ball' load. There would have been two smaller round balls in the load.

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2012.gif

Honoring the memory of my ancestors:
American Revolution: Captain George Musser
War Between the States (American Civil War): Private Martin Musser, 79th Pa. Vol. Inf.
WWI: Private John Buniski, Pontoon Tn. 465th Engineers
WWI: Sergeant Anthony Buniski, Troop G 2nd Cavalry, Troop G 19th Cavalry, Battery D 77th FA
WWII: Private John Musser

Both the first and second appear to be Sharps carbine bullets. The two round balls were part of the 'buck and ball' load. There would have been two smaller round balls in the load.

The very first one on the left has a round hole in the bottom and only one ring.

The second on is slightly taller than the first and has 2 rings.

Thanks

M

donation2013.gif

If you have access to the book "Civil War Projectiles II" by W. Reid McKee and M. E. Mason, Jr. see page 58 for the first bullet. It looks close to #475 which is labeled a Sharps rifle. For the second see page 24 bullet #43, which is labeled Sharps carbine.

....and an edit on the buck and ball load; the load should have three smaller balls.

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2012.gif

Honoring the memory of my ancestors:
American Revolution: Captain George Musser
War Between the States (American Civil War): Private Martin Musser, 79th Pa. Vol. Inf.
WWI: Private John Buniski, Pontoon Tn. 465th Engineers
WWI: Sergeant Anthony Buniski, Troop G 2nd Cavalry, Troop G 19th Cavalry, Battery D 77th FA
WWII: Private John Musser

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.