USMC that is not USMC

QED4

I thought everyone might find this interesting and maybe solve a mystery too. I have had a tool of unknown use for a while that was stamped USMC so I have kept it. Well, after some research I final found the USMC logo (shown below) it dose not stand for United States Marine Corps but rather United Shoe Machinery Co. So when is a Marine not a Marine? when he is a shoe maker.

post-55-1202256430.jpg

Greg Robinson

Same for those "USMC" marked 5 gallon water cans. It does NOT stand for US Marine Corps.

Greg

Same for those "USMC" marked 5 gallon water cans. It does NOT stand for US Marine Corps.

Greg

What's it stand for? Undrinkable Slime & Muck Concoction?

Greg

Greg,

Do you have a picture of the can you mentioned? It might prevent me buying one some day.

David

I saw an article come time ago that referred to a tool called a "scrap hatchet" which was USMC marked

Yeah, they are usually referred to on eBay as "Marine Corps Assault Hatchets," or some such a thing :lol: You can see on the picture below that the logo looks like the one on the tool shown at the beginning of this post. This picture came from this article:

http://www.cummings.com/history.html

post-70-1202269834.jpg

That USMC made a lot of hand tools for leather workers. Usually with green or off orange wood handles. I will check to see what it stands for, I think they are in a cataloge some where. I have had several different ones over the years. Dave

This is one I have been trying to pin down for several years.

That is a horsehair shoe brush.

usmcbrushabel.jpg

United Shoe Machinery Company - known as USM and sometimes USMC and was founded 1899 - started out making machinery for making shoes but in the early part of the 20th century the government went after them for monopolizing the shoe business. It appears that United Shoe had an affiliate company named USMC International, Ltd.

United Shoe eventually merged with Emhart Corporation and then that merged with Black and Decker in 1989.

They do have a connection, of sorts, to militaria:

In the 1940's they had government contracts for work on a "Gun drive system," a "37mm cannon pressurized turret," a "Caliber .50 four-gun tail gun mount," and "Caliber .50 twin-gun tail gun mount for B-26B" (and the XB-35).

"Pop" rivet is a brand name manufactured by United Shoe.

But nothing indicates they made construction equipment. My guess is that piece shown above has the USMC on the back to show who owned it, not who made it.

An article and couple of photos of small USMC shoe making tools can be found at http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/knife_knotes_10.htm which gets into the topic because of this:

USMC_Hatchet.jpg

Greg Robinson
Greg,

Do you have a picture of the can you mentioned? It might prevent me buying one some day.

David

David

I bought a quantity of these brand new in 1999, still strapped to the original pallet for $5 each. Being "USMC" influenced my decision at the time. My mistake. :(

Made in 1985 by the USMC company, which was identified to me a few years ago but I've since forgotten who it was......definitely NOT US Marine Corps.

post-4-1202317639.jpg

post-4-1202317664.jpg

David

I bought a quantity of these brand new in 1999, still strapped to the original pallet for $5 each. Being "USMC" influenced my decision at the time. My mistake. :(

Made in 1985 by the USMC company, which was identified to me a few years ago but I've since forgotten who it was......definitely NOT US Marine Corps.

This is yet another USMC company: "U.S. Metal Container Company, of Miami, Oklahoma." OliveDrab.com has an article that tells how ID a real USMC can from one made by the US METAL CO. http://www.olive-drab.com/od_mvg_jerry_can_markings.php

Not all is lost Greg: those cans you paid $5 for are probably worth $20-40 even though they are not military.

They are not even military?

Actually they are military but they were not made specifically for the Marine Corps: those would be marked USMC on the side.

United Shoe Machinery Company - known as USM and sometimes USMC and was founded 1899 - started out making machinery for making shoes but in the early part of the 20th century the government went after them for monopolizing the shoe business. It appears that United Shoe had an affiliate company named USMC International, Ltd.

United Shoe eventually merged with Emhart Corporation and then that merged with Black and Decker in 1989.

They do have a connection, of sorts, to militaria:

In the 1940's they had government contracts for work on a "Gun drive system," a "37mm cannon pressurized turret," a "Caliber .50 four-gun tail gun mount," and "Caliber .50 twin-gun tail gun mount for B-26B" (and the XB-35).

United Shoe Machinery Company also made replacement bolts for the M1917 Enfield rifle, so a lot of folks get excited when the see a "USMC"-marked rifle. In reality it just means the weapon was overhauled using replacement parts.

that's a USMC bootbrush, hahaha

USMC issue usually have the periods...U.S.M.C. but not always, and never those curcy girlish letters

that's a USMC bootbrush, hahaha

USMC issue usually have the periods...U.S.M.C. but not always, and never those curcy girlish letters

We know that, but how many people not very familiar with the Marine Corps know that? I think United Show Machinery knew exactly what they were doing when they chose "USMC" as the company logo by cashing in on a well know acronym. By using the cursive "girlish" letters, they avoided a confrontation with the Marine Corps.

We know that, but how many people not very familiar with the Marine Corps know that? I think United Show Machinery knew exactly what they were doing when they chose "USMC" as the company logo by cashing in on a well know acronym. By using the cursive "girlish" letters, they avoided a confrontation with the Marine Corps.

I think it's just a coincidence.

In the early 1900's they were bigger than the Marine Corps and this was at a time when probably not too many Americans were all that aware of the Marine Corps and certainly not as the "USMC."

Greg Robinson

I think it's just a coincidence.

In the early 1900's they were bigger than the Marine Corps and this was at a time when probably not too many Americans were all that aware of the Marine Corps and certainly not as the "USMC."

DITTO!!! It's only we modern day collectors who go into heat over seeing "USMC" stamped on some piece of military gear. :lol:

Greg

• 2 years later...
pararaftanr2

For what it's worth, this is an example of a WWII vintage U.S.M.C. (as in United States Marine Corps) 5 gal. water can. Regards, Paul

post-9787-1267491902.jpg