75th Company

Flashlarue

The back of this photo has:

75th Company ready for inspection by Butler.

Any ideas about what this photo is about? Army? Marines?

post-22-0-08342400-1401651289.jpg

Flashlarue,

It looks like EGA's on the helmets and dress is from 20s or 30s hard to tell for sure. The 75th company was part of the 6th Marine Regiment which I think was disbanded after WWI. My SWAG you will have to get a Devildog to answer for sure.

Regards,

John

Could the Butler they were waiting to inspect them have been MajGen Smedley D. Butler if this is the 75th Marine Co. in the 1920s or early 1930s?

I believe that I miss spoke about the 6th Regiments deactivation after WWI. Found this

MARINES IN CHINA

As the turbulence and lawlessness continued, more Marines were sent to China. The 6th Regiment (less the 3rd Bn.) boarded the USS Henderson at San Diego arriving in Shanghai. (The 6th was to do two hitches of duty, the first from May 1927 to January 1929 when they were stationed at Tientsin; the second in 1927-1928 when they served with the 4th Marines in Shanghai). Note: There were other Marine forces stationed in China – artillery, a tank platoon, an engineer company, even one squadron of airplanes – but, for the purposes of this discussion, we make reference only to Gunboat Marines, those assigned to vessels that patrolled the rivers and waterways. By June 1927, the Marine forces in China consisted of the 3rd Brigade (and aviation unit) distributed in Tianjin (four battalions plus a Hq. company); the 4th Regiment (two battalions) in Shanghai. Once settled, all became engaged in security measures and protection of American interests.

http://warandgame.com/2009/01/19/marines-in-china-1927-29/

So with this statement above and the fact that the 75th Company was in 1st Battalion of the 6th is would be safe to say that it is in fact the 75th Company 6th Marine Regiment in China waiting for inspection by then BG Smedley Butler MoH USMC sometime between 1927 and 1929.

Regards,

John

• 7 years later...

Photo was taken in Tientsin in the late 1920's. (summer 27 or summer 1928), as stated Marines awaiting inspection by Gen Smedley Butler.