MASH

patches

On Major Houlihan...in the first few seasons her father was always referenced as being killed/dead....later, and I forget which season/ episode, he comes to visit her...

Lots of inconsistencies in it, Hawkeye in exmple mentions quite a few times his mother, n that she's alive right, then in one later episode in the Winchester period he tells him she died when he was a boy.

https://thewhisp.mommyish.com/entertainment/tv/mash-mistakes-missed-continuity-errors/17/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068098/goofs

Lots of inconsistencies in it, Hawkeye in exmple mentions quite a few times his mother, n that she's alive right, then in one later episode in the Winchester period he tells him she died when he was a boy.

https://thewhisp.mommyish.com/entertainment/tv/mash-mistakes-missed-continuity-errors/17/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068098/goofs

Harry Morgan (Colonel Potter) played different roles in the series.....Seems to me he played a bigoted general in one episode....Bodes

Gen Steele Bodes....a loony general...but we didn't really know it till the court martial...that is what made that episode...he played the straight guy...tough as nails kinda thing...but first a number...a what? you know a number...

BILL THE PATCH

Gen Steele Bodes....a loony general...but we didn't really know it till the court martial...that is what made that episode...he played the straight guy...tough as nails kinda thing...but first a number...a what?  you know a number...

When I first saw that I remember saying to kyswlf what going on? Then it clicked. Funny stuff, imagine on TV today.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

As I remember that last scene in the episode, besides him being racist, he was also clearly nuts.

The whole episode had him doing strange things..

Like this scene here.

I think one of the very best scenes in the series is when Margret has a man to man talk with col blake in his office. She gives him this speech "Man to Man" and they do weird stuff with the camera while shes talking like close ups on her mouth and switching back to col blakes face etc...

Funny stuff. He just stands there while she goes on.....Im still trying to find the clip.

When Steele/Morgan told Klinger to go wait in the tent (or something like that)...that was awesome...then when Steele grabbed his liner and danced out of the court martial...and everyone was like...yep that's a wrap...

and...what MASH fan doesn't have their own Vodka dispenser??

post-155518-0-99962800-1580436523.jpg

post-155518-0-87569300-1580436529.jpg

When Steele/Morgan told Klinger to go wait in the tent (or something like that)...that was awesome...then when Steele grabbed his liner and danced out of the court martial...and everyone was like...yep that's a wrap...

and...what MASH fan doesn't have their own Vodka dispenser??

I remember when they were selling these in 1983, I was working at a big liquor stare nearer where I lived :lol:

Gen Steele Bodes....a loony general...but we didn't really know it till the court martial...that is what made that episode...he played the straight guy...tough as nails kinda thing...but first a number...a what? you know a number...

I agree, it made the episode....It was pushing the envelope, liken to Norman Lear & All in the Family....Bodes

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I also remember the scene where Father Mulcahy is wrestling in the surgery room with an unruly patient, and Colonel Potter snidely remarks, "I'd like to help you padre, but I'm sterile"....Hilarious moment and a statement I'll never forget....Bodes

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok, interesting thread. Not one mention that Gary was the only actor to keep his role from the movie to TV. Alan Alda's dog tags were from two vets who served in the Korea war. He wore them as a reminder of those who served. Many of the scripts were developed from actual events that guys who were in Korea sent in. Many Doctors sent in story's. For me the movie was the gold standard that the TV show strayed away from.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Zack Miller
On 7/24/2013 at 5:24 PM, Cpt.Mathis said:

Did you guys know that the actor that played Hawkeye actually served in a Korean War MASH unit?

Actually it was the guy who wrote the book who served in a MASH unit.  His real name was Richard Hornberger.  He and I attended the same college in Maine albeit twenty years apart.  I believe he was originally from New Jersey, but practiced surgery in Maine.  

Unfortunately he sold the rights to Robert Altman for $25,000 and never received another dime. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Hooker_(author)

On 1/27/2020 at 10:04 PM, patches said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Major Burns: Funny thing war, never have so many suffered so much so so few could be happy!

Major Houlihan: We're lucky to be two of the few and not the many!

Major Burns: I know Darling, and I love being both of us!

post-34986-0-17524100-1580180639.jpg

.....funny thing with Maj Houlihan. As the series matured, they glamed her up and she was actually quite attractive. That and they fleshed out the character in giving her a personality. 

• 8 months later...
S.ChrisKelly

Thought this might be intetesting:

Continuity:

In Harry Morgan's first season as Colonel Potter his only child is a son whose wife has a daughter. Later on he has a grandson named Cory who went from a newborn to being a five year old. However, by the end of the series his only child has become a daughter and her husband visits Col Potter at the 4077.

Hawkeye's background and family situation changes quite a bit during the run of the series. At the beginning he is from Vermont, both parents are living, he has a married sister that sends him an oversized homemade sweater, and a nephew. By the end of the show, he is from Crabapple Cove, Maine, and he is an only child whose mother died when he was about 10.

Colonel Potter enters the series as a Methodist and is a Presbyterian just after Radar goes home.

Factual errors:

Franks Burns and Hot Lips Houlihan's affair would have been far more scandalous in the 1950s setting of the series than in the 1970s/1980s airing. Since Burns was a married man, violations of military law would have been an issue and the affair would have quickly ended or resulted in both being removed from the service.

As a rule in the service, a person is only awarded one Purple Heart (the first time they're wounded) and then oak leaf clusters for subsequent injuries. However, multiple characters throughout the series have or receive more than one purple heart.

Very few of the actors are the right age for their characters. Hawkeye, Trapper and BJ are supposed to be just out of residency, yet all were portrayed by actors in their mid-30s or older. Max Klinger was portrayed by Jaime Farr, in his late 30s, but a draftee would've been 18-21 or so.

Incorrectly regarded as goofs

Three different people have been named "Nurse Baker", including a single woman, a married woman and a woman of a different race (she was Black while the other two were Caucasian). However, Baker is a popular American name, and could have been shared by more than one person in the 501st. In addition, "Baker" is the second entry in the old US Navy radio alphabet. "Able," the first entry, is the name of several nurses throughout the series. "Able" and "Baker" appear to be placeholder-type names, possibly an in-joke for military viewers.

Revealing mistakes:

Powerlines are visible in the background of some exterior

Two sets of the camp were built, one in the outdoors, and one within a studio. This is apparent in numerous episodes when the characters are standing "outside" in broad daylight, but each cast member has numerous shadows as a result of studio lights shining in different directions, as well as an echo within the studio that is not audible on the outdoor set.

Miscellaneous:

Although done throughout the series for comic effect, Hawkeye's insubordination would have very rapidly landed him in a general courts martial and the stockade.

Anachronisms:

Throughout the series, Douglas MacArthur is referred to as though he is still in command of the UN forces in Korea. However, MacArthur was relieved of command by President Truman about ten months into the war; April 11, 1951 to be exact.

Radar is seen reading Marvel Comics that were actually published in the mid-1960s.

During one scene in Col. Potter's office, Col. Potter is spelling someone's name on the telephone. Hawkeye, standing nearby, responds by chanting "M-O-U-S-E" - part of the "Mickey Mouse Club" show's theme song. The "Mickey Mouse Club" did not debut on television until October 3, 1955, more than two years after the ceasefire that ended the fighting in Korea.

Errors in geography:

In the early seasons, Vietnam-like references were often made by characters: Claiming their location was in "Southeast Asia" (Korea is in northeastern Asia) and searching for missing colleagues in "the jungle" (there are no jungle regions in Korea).

The 4077 has a travel directions sign. The signs for Tokyo, Boston, and San Francisco, which are all east of Korea, are pointing in different directions. There are also two signs for Seoul which point in opposite directions.

Character error:

Throughout the series, Margaret has very long fingernails. As both a nurse and a Regular US Army officer who's a sticker for the rules, there's no way her nails would be so UN-regulation. Neither nurses nor Army officers have long fingernails.

Several characters change blood type during the show.

There are various episodes with Korean nationals such as farmers, villagers. These Koreans speak English. It is highly unlikely that the native Koreans would speak or understand any English especially in small villages away from a city.

In the Army, caps (cover) are always worn outdoors and never worn indoors.

On various occasions, the War Department is mentioned by various characters. This is in error as the War Department was renamed the Department of the Army in 1947. When referring to directives from Washington D.C., they should use that title or it's parent organization, the Department of Defense.

Source:

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0068098/goofs/

• 4 weeks later...
S.ChrisKelly

One of my favorite episodes, from season 3, episode 10 (1974), "There is nothing like a nurse."  When I saw the "fellas" watching Frank's wedding film, and joking and laughing like they were at a fraternity party...  I actually did feel some sympathy for him. 

Ever known someone who got more ostracized the more he tried to fit in?  Louise hated Frank's guts...  and she married him!

50130bee97c3f01e2de3d3513024dac3.gif

GlO2w-1631028128-3732-blog-Jeanne Schulherr.jpg

Frank_wife_color_hd.jpg

S.ChrisKelly

From "Dear Mildred" (October 1975), as Colonel Sherman Potter assumes command of M*A*S*H 4077, on the eve of his wedding anniversary...  

Cho Man Chin:  "No cheques.  Strictly cash."

Major Frank Burns... "I want my money back... in American money, not that stuff I paid you in."

Cho-dear_mildred.jpg

4816483e9eb9e19e6767d1d6399b98ed.png

usmpc1951.jpeg

usmpc$1.jpg