MASH

patches

Most of the incidents named in the last two posts mention situations that a chain of command probably wouldn't want to get out there. Other soliders going bonkers and having to be restrained by your own people? Pulling local civilians out of your minefields? Mulcahy doing the emergency trachea surgery in the field when he wasn't supposed to be there in the first place?

Hawkeye had to repel out of a chopper once, dressed as Santa, under fire, to work on someone in a foxhole. Most higher commands would see his record for insubordination and decide they wouldn't want to give a medal to someone like that regardless of the awesome job he'd done.

No, I don't any chain of command giving medals for most of that stuff.

I've seen way too much of this, "It wouldn't look good to the next echelon if I put this in for a medal" thinking in the Army personally.

• 3 months later...

I've been watching the series on Netflix and I just got to the 4th season and it has a different feel now after Col. Blake and Trapper left.

I've been watching the series on Netflix and I just got to the 4th season and it has a different feel now after Col. Blake and Trapper left.

No doubt. The series lost a lot of its original spirit after the end of the 3rd season.

The later additions of Potter and Winchester were, after a while, the turning point in how deep the show got with its characters. I would pose that Winchester was far and clear the deepest character on the show, as he started out as a stuffy, 'full of himself' character but evolved into possibly the most relateable to all the characters on the show in that he represented an innocense lost in many ways, even more so than Radar in that we saw the progression from the first day he arrived at the 4077th.

But even if Trapper and Henry had stayed around as characters, I think this progression would have happened anyway within another season at the latest.

I think you see a transition as Alan Alda gained greater control over the series.

Which is funny in a way, because the BJ character was written as more of an 'equal' to Hawkeye and wasn't as much second fiddile as Trapper was written.

That is especially ironic because that's why Wayne Rogers left the show, only to have the replacement character become exactly what Rogers had wanted all along for Trapper John...

On another MASH subject, I always found it interesting how Radar/ Gary Burghoff did his best to hide his left hand with whatever prop he had. Burghoff was born with a congenital defect involving several fingers of that hand. Despite the hand, he was a very accomplished drummer. Good for him!

I guess while we're ......err, I'm on the subject of Radar, Gary Burghoff made television history on November 17, 1973 (season 2/ episode 10 "The Sniper") as the first male actor in a prime time show to feature his bare behind.

post-35406-0-73447300-1428452900.jpg

• 9 months later...

A few years ago, I found myself in Normal, Illinois (yes, it's a real town) where Henry's home was always mentioned in the town of Bloomington which is right next to Normal. Oddly, Illinois State University is in that town but the character apparently went to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign instead. Odd. He once described his wife Lorraine as a former "Succotash Queen at Illinois Normal" which means they grew up very close to each other.

Yeah, I know, it's all fiction but it seemed strange to be there, having heard the name for so many years on the show. I almost expected some manner of recognition to the character but never found any there.

I was rereading this thread and thought I would comment on this.

I live in Normal and there is currently no such thing as a Succotash Festival, Sweetcorn yes. There is no queen, sorry. There may have been in the past, a lot of the hometown references are based on truths. Illinois State University is a teaching school and has a school of nursing. The U of I has a medical school that would be why he went there.

Ray

• 4 months later...

Oh my, I just now seen that Wayne Rodgers passed away back there in Jan 1 2016 (other date has Dec 31 2015) at 82, this is something that went right under the radar wish I would of known earlier.

He was also as you'll see a officer in the Navy.

http://www.encyclopediaofalabama.org/article/h-3233

Good Bye Trapper.

post-34986-0-49266600-1463798703.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
phantomfixer

One of the MASH jeeps used in the series..a CJ-2A or 3A...was signed by Mike Farrell..sold at auction, and is now in Eastern PA...still had mud on it from the set...

guy in the seat is not me...

post-155518-0-55295500-1464959103.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

One of my all time favorite Major Winchester rants :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Know this!!! You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, BUT you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer!"

post-34986-0-05966300-1411611611.jpg

Man, the cast members have been passing away at a frightening rate recently.

We lost Major Winchester the other day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Ogden_Stiers

I didn't know that until I read this above.
I wish I'd known he'd been directing orchestras in Oregon and Washington, I would have gone to see that if I'd known this at the time. I had no clue he'd been living on the Oregon coast.

Great TV show, Henry's was wounded when the CIA propaganda bomb landed in the compound. He had a bandage on his head. Col Potter said his purple heart was from WW2 when his own still exploded. Radar recieved his PH for a shoulder wound when Hawkeye sent him to Seoul.

I was stationed at Camp Red Cloud in Wishombu.

• 4 months later...

post-34986-0-11359500-1533352551.jpg

Found this still from one of the early episodes,The Trial of Henry Blake, the one where Henry s accused of aiding and comforting the enemy, here we see Radar in his Class As, the only time the correct and accurate EM uniform for the 50-late 51 period is depicted, that of the Eisenhower Jacket with the Quad Collar Discs, after that, one see the old M26 Coat, with only the two discs, but even with this IKE it's not all the way, while we do see both the new issue OD ties and the older Khaki ties during this period, and occasionally the old size WWII chevrons, it would of been really cool to be seeing the 1948 Reg chevrons worn, the Non Combat Branch Corporal.

Of course there's that typical MASH error with the NDSM ribbon on Henry, a medal not out in 1951

I read somewhere Jamie Farr (aka Klinger) was originally supposed to appear in only one or two episodes....Was supposed to be homosexual, but later they changed his character into a cross dresser....Hard to imagine MASH without him...Bodes

I read somewhere Jamie Farr (aka Klinger) was originally supposed to appear in only one or two episodes....Was supposed to be homosexual, but later they changed his character into a cross dresser....Hard to imagine MASH without him...Bodes

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Major Freedman: Sign it, and you'll get you wish!

Klinger: (excitingly) What's it say?

Major Freedman: It says I examined you and found you to be a transvestite and a homosexual, for all I know you might have post nasal drip! From now on, you go through life on high heels!

Klinger: (Angered) I ain't any of those things! I'm just crazy, where do you get off calling me that?

Major Freedman: From you cleavage! Sign it!

• 2 weeks later...
Simon Lerenfort

Here is a quote from Hawkeye during one of his rants from the final Farewell episode that I recall....

[an explosion occurs]

Hawkeye : Okay, boys and girls, time to do something intelligent.

[He stands up]

Hawkeye : Since I seem to be the only intelligent person here, I nominate me, all in favor, say aye.

Col. Potter : Take your seat, Pierce.

Hawkeye : Uh-uh, sorry, sorry, I can take umbrage, I can take the cake, I can take the "A" train, I can take two and call me in the morning, but I cannot take this sitting down. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to take five.

[He walks out of the O.R]

• 1 year later...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Major Burns: Funny thing war, never have so many suffered so much so so few could be happy!

Major Houlihan: We're lucky to be two of the few and not the many!

Major Burns: I know Darling, and I love being both of us!

post-34986-0-17524100-1580180639.jpg

On Major Houlihan...in the first few seasons her father was always referenced as being killed/dead....later, and I forget which season/ episode, he comes to visit her...

Great series and one of my all time favorites. Not sure if this has been already covered in this thread but there were at least two major actors who appeared as two characters. The first is Harry Morgan who appeared in an earlier episode "The General Flipped At Dawn" as Major General Bartford Hamilton Steele. The second was actor Alan Arbus. Originally he was Dr. Milton Freedman then became Dr. Sidney Freedman. There may be more but that's the two that come to mind.