MASH

patches

I actualy would like to get the entire series box DVD set, I will one day :)

I was given it as a birthday gift Kevin....and watched all it in sequence beginning to end. Took several weeks! One significant difference between the UK > US versions...we don't have a laughter track like you do. The show's funny enough...we don't need canned laughter to tell us when we should laugh! When I was in the States last year I watched an episode in the hotel room with the laughter track. I found it a distraction! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

manshu warrior you kinda look like you could be Radar's grandson, on the uniforms in MASH remember CorpalCaptain Oriley in officers club and on hair cuts in Stripes some got a GI cut some not I don't think Bill Murray would have shaved his head

• 2 months later...

Great tv series. 'Radar', Mr. Gary Burghoff lives not too far from me and I've seen him in town at antique stores and pawn shops. Great guy and hasn't changed much as you can still recognize him.

Of course Henry would have received a posthumous Purple Heart for being killed in action when his plane was shot down.

His character was killed off because the producers wanted to ensure he could never come back to the show. Mclean Stephenson had gotten quite a big head at the time as he'd done a lot vacation relief for Johnny Carson on the Tonight Show and thought he was going to be the 1st string fill-in. He thought he was too big of a star to play second fiddle to Hawkeye and quit the show. As noted on wikipedia, "Stevenson later admitted that leaving M*A*S*H was a mistake, and he was also upset by the fact that his character's death prevented him from returning to the show."

• 2 months later...

When you do get the cap with the flys and junk togther Ian, just remember to watch it when you throw a salute :lol:

I'm going for a fitting for my Klinger gowns next week. Need to find a pair of white stilettos in size 8. :love:

Recognize the sweater? I'm working on the "beanie" with the fishing flies!!
A few years ago, I found myself in Normal, Illinois (yes, it's a real town) where Henry's home was always mentioned in the town of Bloomington which is right next to Normal. Oddly, Illinois State University is in that town but the character apparently went to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign instead. Odd. He once described his wife Lorraine as a former "Succotash Queen at Illinois Normal" which means they grew up very close to each other.

Yeah, I know, it's all fiction but it seemed strange to be there, having heard the name for so many years on the show. I almost expected some manner of recognition to the character but never found any there.

I always wondered how he got the egg shell fragment wound to his eye because they always ate powdered eggs. A classic character & a great show!

Rob

As I remember, he was cracking open a hardboiled egg when an artillery shell landed close to the camp and a piece of the eggshell flew up and into his eye...thereby getting a "shell fragment" in his eye.

I think Larry Linville was my favorite character and one of the best things about M.A.S.H. And as a case of things not appearing to be what they seem, the character of "Radar" was beloved by everybody...but the actor playing him (Gary Burghoff) was fairly despised by the cast. The character of "Major Burns" was despised by the hospital staff but the actor (Linville) was much liked. Go figure!

history-buff1944

Id like to say I cant really have a favorite from the series--they were all good. If im forced to choose? it would have to be between Klinger, Radar, Captain Flagg (Edward Winter) and the two Colonels.

Col Flagg: Hey....Up Close Your a Guy! Cpl Klinger: Far Away Too!

post-34986-0-20110600-1362162175.jpg post-34986-0-33333800-1362162230.jpg

Here the still from the actual scene between Flagg and Klinger, hilarious. I wish I would of found this one yesterday before I made the above quote.

post-34986-0-23719300-1362191023.jpg

How Ya Gonna Keep Them Down on The Farm....After They Seen Pusan.

post-34986-0-89569800-1362349629.jpg

A little ditty Hawkeye made up, Remember :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

This line from MASH for me, to use a word from one of Col Potter's line, is always a rib tickler :lol:

Max Klinger to Capt Honeycutt

Command Me O Tall One With The Presbyterian Features!

post-34986-0-70723900-1363836877.jpg

Col Flagg: Hey....Up Close Your a Guy! Cpl Klinger: Far Away Too!

post-34986-0-20110600-1362162175.jpg post-34986-0-33333800-1362162230.jpg

I loved that, and other great lines from Klinger!

Still think back to that classic show like I was almost there.

Good thread!

cheers from cold Norway!

-John

I don't want to highjack the thread, but I think this is an interesting shot. Vietnamese barber - 1968,

I don't think I'd be sitting upright in the middle of a FSB robed in white with the VC in the distant trees, he might get a close shave too!

Did you notice the M14 with what looks like a commercial scope mounted on it?

-John

i read somewhere when they killed off henry the actors weren't warned so when radar walked in with the news that was there actual reaction

I just love the Col Flagg episodes.

post-34986-0-63568500-1364534190.gif

•  

Here is a montage of Flagg quotes. :lol: :lol:

• "I've trained myself not to laugh or smile. I watched a hundred hours of the Three Stooges; every time I felt like smiling or laughing, I jabbed myself in the stomach with a cattle prod."

• "My father touched me like that once. To this day, he still has to wear orthopedic shirts."{Frank Burns tried to buddy up to Flagg by slapping him on the shoulder}

• "You think you're real smart. But you're not smart; you're dumb. Very dumb. But you've met your match in me." {To Major Sidney Freedman}

• "Nobody can get the truth out of me because even I don't know what it is. I keep myself in a constant state of utter confusion."

• (After Hawkeye treated a wounded North Korean soldier prior to operating on an American one:) "You took a yellow Red before a White American, and that's pretty pinko!"

• (To Radar:) "Quiet, or I'll use you to clean a cannon!"

• (After Hawkeye suggests using nuclear weapons in a search for the missing Major Houlihan) "Hey, Don't try to make friends with me."

• (After Frank says, 'You’re crazy, buddy!') "You call me that again, friend, I’ll reach into your throat and pull your heart out."
  • {To Colonel Blake} "I'm authorize to kill without written permission from my superiors"
  • {To Hawkeye} "I've got written permission to die in the attempt"
  • (To Burns who remarks the CIA can supersede anyone's orders except the President's} "Give us time."
  • (To Major Winchester) "Do you believe I can break you leg with this finger?"
    ."I have no home, I am the WIND"

There's a lot more, some I need to watch in order to remember, I,m still looking for an image of Flagg in the Italian Army officers uniform he was wearing when he showed up at the Compound in one of the episodes :lol:

I,m still looking for an image of Flagg in the Italian Army officers uniform he was wearing when he showed up at the Compound in one of the episodes :lol:

287349.jpg

Thanks Willy

Here's the back and forth between Potter and Flagg when he walks in, in this Italian Army officers uniform. it's a real Rib Tickler :lol: :lol: :lol:

Col Potter: Why are you dressed like an Italian usher?

Col Flagg: Can you keep a secret?

Col Potter: I'd like to think so.

Col Flagg: I'm disguised as Ling Chow, a Chinese double agent.

Col Potter: Funny! you don't look Chinese!

Col Flagg: Neither would Ling Chow if he was dressed like this, you follow?

Col Potter: As far as I'd like to.

Col Flagg: I'm off!

Col Potter: I couldn't have said it better myself!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Klinger (Jamie Farr) always made some great references to Toledo, and we always watched to see what he'd bring into the story line.

There was one scene where his family shipped him some hot dogs from a restaurant named Tony Packo's. It's a real chain, very popular in the Toledo area and they make the absolute best Hungarian hot dogs and potato salad. The scene was great because even the snooty Major Winchester couldn't resist the smell of the hot dogs cooking on the tent stove.

There were always some light references to Klinger's Lebanese heritage. It fits, Jamie Farr is Lebanese and Toledo has always had a large Lebanese population. Next to Jamie the other world famous Toledo Lebanese export was none other than Danny Thomas.