A strange modified jungle jacket

VALERY

Hi fellow members,

I found few months ago in a Paris vintage shop this modified jungle jacket.

9rlx09.jpg

jff2on.jpg

RDF camo pocket and a strange tiger stripes (removed from a flight suit or a flight jacket) pocket are roughly sewn on the sleeves. The modifications show evidence of wear like discoloration inside the pockets.

The jungle jacket has never received any patches.

r2kqix.jpg

Only P765 is written with a magic marker on the flap of the left chest pocket and inside, near the collar.

Have you ever seen such modifications with camo pockets added to an OD jacket?

Cheers

Valery

That is not an unusual modification, adding the pockets on the upper sleeves. The choice in material has me scratching my head though. I've heard from a number of former GI's that told me they would remove the lower pockets on their jackets and reapply them to the upper sleeve for easier access when in the prone position.

There is evidence of SEALs wearing modified BDU's with RDF pockets sewn to the sleeves during the 1980's and during Operation Just Cause. There are also pictures of SEALs wearing jungle jackets while on advisory roles in South America during the late 80' to early 90's. To go one step further, the other pocket appears to be Ecuadorian tiger stripe camouflage. Possible SEAL Team 4 item?

Interesting jacket but very possibly not a Vietnam modification. The ERDL pocket on the right sleeve is brown dominant more in keeping with the post Vietnam ERDL straight pocket jungles that many on this forum call RDF fatigues. If you will observe that the pocket flap is rectangle shaped not wide at one end tapering down to the other like your jungle fatigue pockets. All Vietnam era ERDL jungles were slanted pocket and green dominant.

I can't tell by your picture but does that ERDL pocket have one or two buttons?

BEAR

Sorry nkomo, I didn't see your post before I posted my response.

BEAR

No worries. I totally agree with you that it is definitely a post-Vietnam modification.