USMS Dog Tags

smwinter207

Ill post a photo soon, but I found these WW2 dog tags. They have a T-44 USMS marking to a man named William J Weisburger. I was wondering how to find a Maritime Service guy? He is not on Nara, not in the Marine ship logs(from what I've seen). After googling USMS it appears these guys were treate as non combat navy, which seems incorrect as they served in the eto and PTO. Funny thing that thier WWII victory medal has a different ribbon. Any insight, comments or opinions are welcomed!

Thx

Sean

Ill post a photo soon, but I found these WW2 dog tags. They have a T-44 USMS marking to a man named William J Weisburger. I was wondering how to find a Maritime Service guy? He is not on Nara, not in the Marine ship logs(from what I've seen). After googling USMS it appears these guys were treate as non combat navy, which seems incorrect as they served in the eto and PTO. Funny thing that thier WWII victory medal has a different ribbon. Any insight, comments or opinions are welcomed!

Thx

Sean

They were not military. USMS is US Maritime Service. They were the Merchant Marine. They hauled supplies for the military. They were issued modified USN uniforms, but tended to wear civilian clothing most of the time. Since they were operating in theater, they had dog tags to ID them. there have been times where civilian dependants have been issued dog tags for the same reason.

Steve

Not technically military, true...but Mechant Marine members who served during WWII hold the title of veteran and recieve some benefits.

Statistically speaking, it was the most dangerous service of the war.

Casualty Ratio for WWII:

Merchant Marine 1 in 26

Marines 1 in 34

Army 1 in 48

Navy 1 in 114

Coast 1 in 421

If he did serve on a ship, you may be able to find him on ancestry list under passenger lists. I found some USMS guys listed on there.

Jason

I did find some things but all post war.

Name, Arrival Date, Birth Year ,Port of Departure, Ethnicity/ Nationality Ship Name View Ship Image

William J Meisburger 6 Jul 1946 abt 1916 American Archer

William J Meisburger 12 Dec 1946 abt 1916 San Francisco, California American Archer

William J Meisburger Jr. 3 Jun 1946 abt 1916 Rouen, France Caucasian (White) Norman E Mack

William J Meisburger Jr. 12 Dec 1946 abt 1916 Khoreamskake,irn German Archer

William J Meisburger 14 Jun 1948 abt 1916 Port Said, Egypt German Steel Seafarer

William J Meisburger 7 Dec 1945 abt 1917 Marseille, France German Norman E Mack