Show us your Propellers!

Plant#4

Here is a picture of my largest prop. 9 foot 3 inches I need to do some research on this one. The end of a 25 year quest.... to find one I could afford or trade for. What do yall have? Dave

post-2156-1202235465.jpg

Awesome! It seems like these old wood prop's always pull down big cash and they look great on a wall. Forgive me in advance for this but, since I'm into headgear, it looks like the best I'll ever have is shown below.

306full_1_.jpg

God, these gotta be few and far between....

I agree. ;)

Using the method of negative selection I would say that the propeller posted is not from Waco and Ryan trainers.

as much as I hate to say it, I have seen several old props used on airboats that were built back in the 50's and sixties. It seems that many old props were pilfered for this purpose.

Levi

Charlie Flick

OK, here is the one in my gun room. It is a Sensenich. Not sure what it came off of but I believe it was a Stearman trainer. It was definitely not an airboat.

Is there a reference or site that allows one to figure out what aircraft used which wooden propeller?

Charlie Flick

Gun_Room_Propeller_2.jpg

Very cool, Charlie.

gecko NZ,

If they are for sale, contact the folks at Fantasy of Flight, in Central Florida. Kermit Weeks will probably buy every one of them. Wooden props are very expensive to replicate and they are always searching for more.

Would need the dimensions. Length and bolt pattern diameter. Should be a lot of stamped info on prop also. Horse power HP. serial # etc. I have been trying to identify a US Propeller prop that might hve been made for a Stearman. The 9 foot 3 inch prop might be to long for a Stearman but Sensitech made a large # of Stearman props. I am away from home now or I would include photos of the prop I have. I sent all the information I had to the Smithsonian and they answered quckly. No luck for my prop but they have a very extensive list. Remember the prop matched the motor and/or the plane.

OK, here is the one in my gun room. It is a Sensenich. Not sure what it came off of but I believe it was a Stearman trainer. It was definitely not an airboat.

Is there a reference or site that allows one to figure out what aircraft used which wooden propeller?

Charlie Flick

Hello Charlie,

Look for any stamping on this propeller. The Sensenich manufactured -- under civil and military designations -- the following propellers for the Boeing Stearman Kaydets:

Sensenich 90AA-64 (military designation Sensenich 44K9705)

Sensenich 90AA-68

Sensenich 90AB-64

Sensenich 90AB-68

Sensenich 90AC-64

Sensenich 90AC-68

Sensenich 98AA-64 (military designation Sensenich 43K19593)

Sensenich 98AA-66 (military designation Sensenich 43K19593)

Sensenich 98AA-68

Sensenich 98AB-64

Sensenich 98AB-66

Sensenich 98AB-68

Sensenich 98AC-64

Sensenich 98AC-66

Sensenich 98AC-68

Look also at the parameters (maybe?) stamped on your propeller. For the Boeing Stearman Kaydet and for its wooden propeller they ought to be:

- diameter not under 94in and not over 98in

- no more than 57lbs

- rpm not under 1725 and not over 1950

Best regards

Greg

Charlie Flick

Thanks for the info, guys. I will climb up there and take a closer look at it for markings this week. It does have the Sensenich decal on it. I recall 10+ years ago when I mounted it on the wall that it had some markings on the hub, I think, but did not record them. It was a hell of a job to get that thing up there and mounted safely so it would not fall, so I am not going to be taking it off the wall any time soon. I will take your clues, however, and see if I can get it figured out and will let you guys know what I learn.

Regards,

Charlie

My 9' 3 incher has an 11 inch hub, way to big for any light A/C or trainer. It is marked with a Signal Corps number, and these are untraceable as of yet. The closes aircraft I can match up to this prop is something in the S.E. 5 class or large twin (or more) engine flying boat class.

I am still learning how to post pictures to this forum. You can follow this link to my Yahoo flickr photo account to view my US Propeller. I believe it is for a Stearman, although US Propeller primarily manufactured drone props.

www.flickr.com/photos/chukpike/sets

You may have to copy and then paste this link.

One photo shows the identifiers most wood props would have. Notice the HP and RPM This is an 8 foot prop.

This looks to be identical to Charlie Flick's Sensitech prop. If the length is the same.

post-944-1203033613.jpg

Here's a DH-4 prop that's been in my collection for quite a while. It's about 8.5' long and has Integral Propeller Co. Limited decals, a number of inspection stamps and other markings including British broad arrow and WD and a March 1918 date. I hope the photo posts since this is my first attempt on the forum.

nguoi tien su

post-1739-1203387023.jpg

I bought this one a few weeks ago (in Saigon, but the dealer said it came from Bien Hoa)

It seems to be an O-1 Bird Dog propeller. The pilot (US or Vietnamese) must have crash landed as the propeller is bent and has struck something hard.

NTS

Charlie Flick

NTS:

Nice work tracking that info down. Your prop has a very high probability of having seen combat use.

Is it difficult to find quality US militaria in VN now? I hear a lot about the junk and the fakes being made, but there was mountains of stuff left over so I have to think that some of it is still there 35 years later, or maybe I am just kidding myself on that.

Regards,

Charlie

nguoi tien su

Charlie,

Do you think it is possible to find out informations about the airplane with the serial numbers on the propeller???

NTS

I send you PM about VN stuff