Mexican War Lead Eagle I Buttons

GeneralLucas

GeneralLucas

Today metal detecting at the battle site at Buena Vista in Mexico is no longer allowed as of just a few years ago. Before that, since the 1960s several men in Texas have hunted that site. The dug relics from that area are is remarkably good condition because they were located in sand with very little rain over the years. One of the many surprises found were three cuff size eagle I buttons found made from lead at Buena Vista. I have two of these in my Mexican War collection and I thought these may have some interest to some members of the Forum since they have not been cataloged. I have chosen to include a picture of a Dragoon button found there to show that even the gilt remained intact due to being under the sand. The problem here is that the lead buttons are hard to photograph because of thier poor quality in casting and is not due to rough conditions being located beneath the surface as the Dagoon button shows. I do not know if these I buttons were made in Mexico by our troops but my guess is that they were.

post-1658-1346173789.jpg

GeneralLucas
Today metal detecting at the battle site at Buena Vista in Mexico is no longer allowed as of just a few years ago. Before that, since the 1960s several men in Texas have hunted that site. The dug relics from that area are is remarkely good condition because they were located in sand with very little rain over the years. One of the many surprises found were three cuff size eagle I buttons found made from lead at Buena Vista. I have two of these in my Mexican War collection and I thought these may have some interest to some members of the Forum since they have not been cataloged. I have chosen to include a picture of a Dragoon button found there to show that even the gilt remained intact due to being under the sand. The problem here is that the lead buttons are hard to photograph because of thier poor quality in casting and is not due to rough conditions being located beneath the surface as the Dagoon button shows. I do not know if these I buttons were made in Mexico by our troops but my guess is that they were.

back

post-1658-1346173810.jpg

• 1 year later...