A wet afternoon + an M1 + some paints = ?

Sabrejet

I've always liked the gaudy camo painted ARVN Ranger helmets. So, as it was a wet afternoon I decided to create one to amuse myself and pass the time. The basis is a regular late 60s dated M1. Beforehand I studied various VN era pics to get the "feel" of it. No two were alike. Some were hand-painted, like mine, others spray painted. Colours varied but ultimately I opted for a kind of ERDL scheme as this appears to have been widely used. The paints I used were a mix of Humbrol modellers enamels and artists acrylics. It took me about 90 mins beginning to end. It was fun to do and displays quite well up on my shelf among my other 'Nam era helmets.

post-8022-1346165738.jpgpost-8022-1346165748.jpg

I've always liked the gaudy camo painted ARVN Ranger helmets. So, as it was a wet afternoon I decided to create one to amuse myself and pass the time. The basis is a regular late 60s dated M1. Beforehand I studied various VN era pics to get the "feel" of it. No two were alike. Some were hand-painted, like mine, others spray painted. Colours varied but ultimately I opted for a kind of ERDL scheme as this appears to have been widely used. The paints I used were a mix of Humbrol modellers enamels and artists acrylics. It took me about 90 mins beginning to end. It was fun to do and displays quite well up on my shelf among my other 'Nam era helmets.

post-8022-1346165738.jpgpost-8022-1346165748.jpg

Nice job Ian. Did you do by hand or make yourself a stencil?

Larry

Pretty Cool Ian!!! Very nice work

We may have to call you the Easy Green of Wales!!!! or Easy Sabre

Hmmm... :think: Thanks Ron....hadn't thought of that! Is there any money in it?! :lol:

RustyCanteen
Hmmm... :think: Thanks Ron....hadn't thought of that! Is there any money in it?! :lol:

No I don't think so, there doesn't seem to be any demand for painted helmets.

;)

No I don't think so, there doesn't seem to be any demand for painted helmets.

;)

Dammit! Oh well..."Plain Janes" it is then! ;)

RustyCanteen
Dammit! Oh well..."Plain Janes" it is then! ;)

I think the demand is there for the sandblasted look, maybe some hot pink nylon chinstraps too?

;)

that looks very nicely done, you have pretty good painting skills, the proportions look just like the originals!

Thanks Bolo! :thumbsup:

You had a productive rainy afternoon! :thumbsup:

Looks great....Kat

Thank you kindly Kat...I can't wait for the first snowfall of winter! I have a list of helmets waiting to be done...29th ID..BRO...506th..2nd ID..!! :thumbsup:

Nice display helmet for a modern ole Vietnam era helmet. :rolleyes:

It looks great though. Definitely better than anything I could paint up! :thumbsup: