Kids Helmet

Jason G

Got this one a week or so ago. I really like these, and have started working on my own little home front collection. Not that expensive either, (paid under 20 bucks for this one). I think this is one of the more common ones, I've seen them now with different decals but a similiar style.

post-271-1202228861.jpg

Close up of the decal.

post-271-1202228907.jpg

Interior shot. It's just a simple wool pad secured by a nut. The 'chinstrap' is plain old white string/cord, cotton. Not sure if it's original or not.

post-271-1202228962.jpg

I've really gotten hooked on this WWII type kids stuff, and Homefront items. Will try and post some pics tomorrow of some of my Civil Defense pickups here of late.

Jason---

Here are two of my "Fighting Squadron" helmets made by Marx Toys. For the longest time I thought they were a more recent toy, perhaps from the 1950s. However, I have determined that they are pre-war and very early-war. Posted below is a listing from the Spiegel catalog for Christmas 1942. I also found a direct reference to one in a 1942 newspaper article.

You will note that they are very heavy metal and not like the "tin" helmets generally seen. Also, EVERY one that I have seen has the two holes in the front. I believe these were intended to be "real" helmets of some sort. The addition of the felt pad inside is not typical of the other toy pieces. It appears these shells were seconds, surplus, etc. and the object removed from the front. These helmets are in their raw metal finish.

post-211-1202264463.jpg

post-211-1202264576.jpg

post-211-1202265051.jpg

Love that newspaper article!

Thanks, Siege. Mine also has the 2 holes in front. I was thinking it might be for some sort of toy 'insignia' of some kind, but I've yet to see or figure out what it might have been.

Thanks for showing your helmets. Yeah, they are certainly well made looking and feeling...at least, the tin is. The decal on mine isn't just cheaply stuck on, either, it looks meant to last a long time even if it was just 'made for kids'.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked mine up at a flea market a couple years ago. As you can see, some artist painted over the center of the decal and added his/her own V for Victory.

My helmet has the ubiquitous two holes above the insignia. If you look on the inside, however, you can see two other spots where (I am guessing) two metal tabs also pierced the helmet. Do your helmets have these?

Tom thumbsup.gif

post-81-1203199296.jpg

post-81-1203199305.jpg

Tom---

Thanks for the additional post! I love the personalized helmets and yours is a gem. Both of my helmets have the marks you mentioned. I suspect they are remnants of a tack weld holding the missing piece to the helmet. I have made a thorough search of all types of helmets from the period (mining, fire, industrial, etc.) but have not seen anything resembling these. I am really curious to know what their intended use was.

BTW---Should you ever consider getting rid of your helmet, let me know! I am collecting toy helmets exclusively.

---Mike

Frankly, I cannot imagine this ever being a "real" helmet due to its size. On my styro head it doesn't look too bad but on my noggin it looks totally ridiculous. It is absolutely child-sized as compared to my M1917 and Brit helmets. It would be interesting, however, to find out its original configuration.

Tom thumbsup.gif