AEF Service Coat, 1st Div. Personal Purchase

Picked this up yesterday, a nice tailor made uniform jacket for an enlisted man in the 1st Division. Made by The Pettibone Bros in Cinncinatti...has an Artillery F set of discs (Fox Co??), wound stripe, PFC Stripe, overseas stripe, and 2 ribbons. Has some moth nipping. Two ribbons are old and tarnished, singles however on clutchback mounts, so I'm guessing it was replaced by the veteran at some point post WWI...never seen WWI period clutchbacks. My first WWI jacket ever, I think I did alright. Not much of an Army guy, so don't know much about it

100_2269.JPG

RustyCanteen

That's a nice uniform!

First comments, the "Pvt" stripe is actually the "Discharge" stripe, used to denote the wearer as someone who was discharged but who was allowed to wear their uniform for the trip back home/parade.

Yes the single overseas stripe is for 6 months, but he could have been overseas longer. I have seen many uniforms where the owner just didn't update their stripes and if you were there for 11 months you wouldn't be eligible for another stripe.

RustyCanteen

That could be Battery "F", of either the 5th,6th or 7th Field Artillery Regiments.

About the clutch backs, have you checked to see if they have the raised areas on them to prevent loosening? Should also have a maker or patent number.

That's a nice uniform!

First comments, the "Pvt" stripe is actually the "Discharge" stripe, used to denote the wearer as someone who was discharged but who was allowed to wear their uniform for the trip back home/parade.

Yes the single overseas stripe is for 6 months, but he could have been overseas longer. I have seen many uniforms where the owner just didn't update their stripes and if you were there for 11 months you wouldn't be eligible for another stripe.

And with no rank chevron (which would have been worn only on on the right arm), he is a Private.

That could be Battery "F", of either the 5th,6th or 7th Field Artillery Regiments.

About the clutch backs, have you checked to see if they have the raised areas on them to prevent loosening? Should also have a maker or patent number.

the clutches themselves do have the dimples, associated with post-WWII. I think the ribbons are pre-WWII on new mounts

Exceptionally nice BRO uniform, Is it named? I absolutely love the SSI. Looks like occupation made.

Tom Bowers

BRO?

I'll have to post a better image of the SSI later. I know nothing about them or how to tell occupation made. French? German? No idea

Couldn't find a name in the sleeve...unless the Army did something different?

hbtcoveralls

BRO is shorthand for "Big Red One" or the United States Army's First Infantry Division. There are almost infinite variations of the first division patch. I seem to remember, that style of patch was one of the types made in Germany after the Armistice. The First Division formed part of the occupation forces after the war. The uniforms aren't marked USMC style in the sleeve, but are often found ink marked on the maker's label or inked in the lining somewhere. Named or not, it is still a very nice doughboy uniform that's a cut above the regular issue. Nice find

Tom Bowers

Its nice to see an old Friend. I owned that same tunic nearly 15 years ago. It was my first ww1 patched tunic, and I was very excited to get it. WW1 uniforms rarely came up where I am from and I had a very limited budget at that time. Got it from John Dore of Grand Junction, Colorado, though he was brokering it for another collector so I don't know for sure where it came from before that. It is exactly the way it was when I owned it with the later ribbons. Can't remember how I parted with, probably sold it on ebay.

Thanks for posting, its interesting how thing get around.

Terry in Colorado

I got it through Craigslist, in coastal North Carolina. Amazing in this hobby how items keep resurfacing

RustyCanteen
I got it through Craigslist, in coastal North Carolina. Amazing in this hobby how items keep resurfacing

Yes it is, wouldn't it be funny if alot of what we think of as 'out of the woodwork' has actually passed through several collector's hands?

Who knows, maybe it's all the same stuff going round and round. :lol:

• 2 months later...

Brig,

I would not get to worried about the clutches on the back as many folks change them out because the early ones had a tendency to slip off over time or just got lost. I believe that clutch backs did not appear until WWII pin back ribbon bars and sewn on bars were the standard back then. Possibly the veteran got the updated version 25 or 30 years after the event back before the mid 60's veterans used to wear their uniforms on memorial day and veterans days. The Hippy Dippys and other degenerates of the 60's and 70's changed all that (put down the military and the veterans who protected their sorry asses and their right to protest)...but I digress.....Nice looking uniform and my SWAG on why you have clutch backs on the ribbon bars

Regards,

John

SWAG=Scientific Wild Rump Guess

Brig,

I am sure they will be happy with it. It is a fine uniform group and I would have jumped on it had it not been that I already have a nice one with all the bells and whistle.

Regards,

John

Yes it was a nice uniform, even good to see this one bumped back up again as it seems there hasn't been much WWI uniforms posted lately.

RC