Flag from Nagasaki, 1946

Guest JupiterOil

Guest JupiterOil

Hello

I'm a new member, and will admit I'm not really a military collector. I'm an antiquarian book collector, which exposes me to all kinds of topics, and I do have some books in my collection which belonged to prominent military personnel. But I'm posting to gather opinions on a flag I inherited from my grandfather. As you can see, its what seems like a "souvenir" flag from Nagasaki, Japan, dated 1946. My grandfather served on the USS Nereus, sailed to Sasebo Bay, sinking 33 Japanese subs in Operation Roads End, and visited Nagasaki in April 1946. I'm wondering if anyone has seen a souvenir flag such as this, from Nagasaki or any part of Japan. Its embroidered on silk in a very Japanese style, and backed with pages from a Japanese book.

Apart from the flag, I also have a set of issues of the newspaper printed onboard the Nereus, and a few menus from important occasions (thanksgiving, christmas, ect). I'd suppose these would be fairly rare. Ive been exposed to a lot of ephemera of general interest but even to me these seem unusual. Again I'd appreciate any opinion.

post-2403-1202207805.jpg

Hello and Welcome,

The banner is really neat! Best part is that it is a family piece. I've see several similar type items, yours is a little more interesting with the US flag on it and the location. Your other items, while "rare", are generally not highly sought after. None the less, they are great items of your grandfathers. I'm thinking out loud now, I wonder if there is a Naval museum that would want scans of the ship's newspapers? They are generally interesting to read, usually have a lot of names in them and as you said, probably not very many still exist.

BKW